The Mac's 180 nem tank

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill start by showing where my tank is currently at and then jump back to the beginning and shoe how I've got this far.

Here is my tank as it sits on 11/8/12, it has only been up and running for a month so I don't have much life stock in it at this time.
a8are8um.jpg
uha5a7et.jpg
I know there is a lot of GHA at this time. I used old sand from a buddies tank I thought I cleaned the sand really good. I guess not. It is a 180 gallon (6', 2', 2'). I'm running two ecotech radion's for lighting as of right now. I may add one 250watt MH between the radion's if I don't feel the radion's are doing the job. For filtration the tank had a iTech200 skimmer
vaqabuva.jpg

I love this skimmer it is a well built product. I'm also trying something new that I've never ran befor and that is an algae turf scrubber.
For water movment all I have is one mp40 and a reeflo blackfin 3600(as return & powering ATS). My goal is to have a low energy consumption tank that looks great.

Well time to go back to my last tank. The tank was a 135gal that was mainly sps, with a few nems and softies.
y8ege7et.jpg

I had a bad crash that was caused by a solenoid failure on my co2 for the carx. Ill just say when I got home from a long weekend the pH in the tank was lower then 4.
Befores and afters
tumyqy8a.jpg
5yrygama.jpg

jade5y3y.jpg
yvujeser.jpg

vygybyre.jpg
hymejapy.jpg

ge4e7uhe.jpg
u4aqu6ar.jpg

The only things that survived was the fish and nems. I was really surprised that the nem lived that and they were the reason I am doing a nem tank know. Well that and I had a tunze wavebox on my last tank and feel in love with the way the nems moved with the wavebox.

The beginning of the 180. I bought the tank off a buddy for a great deal. But wasn't to happy with the stand, it looked like some buddies work bench that was converted into a stand. So I decided to make my own stand sense I want a peninsula style tank. Here are a few pics from the stand building
e2yvemup.jpg
e8e2usuz.jpg
beme5yre.jpg
te6e9edu.jpg
uvesudeh.jpg

The stand it 7' long by 44" tall and 25" deep. If you noticed that large ledge on one side of the stand that is a bar. Also the stand is a foot longer then the tank cus I will be making a cupboard that goes in between the tank and the wall. The cupboard well be housing my controllers and power sources for the radion's.

I'm going with a dual sump setup. The upper sump will house an Algae Turf Scrubber and maybe some chatto. The lower sump will hold my skimmer and just be a large reservoir tank.
y3apeja7.jpg

For the mp40 I designed my own wavebox that is made to run using a mp40 pump. I loved the look of the tunze wavebox on my last tank, but hated how I couldn't control the times on night mode with the tunze. With my radion's I can control the night function of the mp40 witch led me to use the mp40 for a wavebox pump.
This is the mp40 in the wavebox in action
http://youtu.be/N9bqgnZkVDM
I've named it the ecobox

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look who showed up around here. Hahahaha. Like I have said before looking sweet eric. Now get some snails working on that gha

OP
OP
Emac909

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look who showed up around here. Hahahaha. Like I have said before looking sweet eric. Now get some snails working on that gha

Come on, this guy for realz! Lol na check my member date. I showed up a while back but lurked like crazy.
I'm working on it. I need to get my sohal back from Kevin, but waiting to get a purple from Jamie first.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
I see you are from RedLands. I worked there for many years..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man sorry about that loss but looking forward to the new tank!

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on, this guy for realz! Lol na check my member date. I showed up a while back but lurked like crazy.
I'm working on it. I need to get my sohal back from Kevin, but waiting to get a purple from Jamie first.

Dang saw the date. Jamie's purples are nice. Kevin is a hoarder so good luck getting the sohal back hahahahha. No I'm sure you'll get him. I bought a sohal and purple from Jason's when he got them in awhile back and had the great deal on them. Awesome. I love them both

OP
OP
Emac909

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a vid I created of my tank last month. I thought I shared it.
http://youtu.be/JHLsBLZ__nM

Well for updates
I got my phosphates down quite a bit so the GHA is starting to die off. I also bought the famous coral collections inferno BTA from a local reefer. Going to try to pick up this up coming weekend, only if I think the tank is ready for it. Here's a pic of it from my buddies tank.
3e7ypehe.jpg

This is who he got it from
3u2emu5u.jpg

nickjr000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem above is real sick! Ur last tank looked good, i like the pe on the acro in the pic. The radions should b plenty of light, i have them and have 2 rbta for a while now

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wOw.. I'm looking forward to following this tank. I get excited when I see other nem tanks. Any clowns in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem is gorgeous!!!

OP
OP
Emac909

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wOw.. I'm looking forward to following this tank. I get excited when I see other nem tanks. Any clowns in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of now I only have a paired set of maroons. They were from my last set up. Currently in QT is maroons, a leopard wrasse, and my boy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353414951.973751.jpg

He will b the last one added tho. I'm currently in the proses of purchasing a Purple tang off a buddy. He's having a heck of a time catching it in his setup. I may get a few Percs but not to sure sense my female maroon is the devel. Her and the sohal would go rounds when the sohal would get to close to the nems.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I don't think the Maroons will appreciate other clowns. they get really aggressive and big. LoL. good luck with the tank and I'm looking forward to seeing a tankful of those BTA's. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Emac909

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the little lady was cooking today I got to hang up my third light above the tank. A 250 watt MH
ne4epamu.jpg

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank I really should have waited and get a 180 instead of my 125 kicking myself now... But I have a question for you how did you hang your MH into the ceiling? And is your ceiling made out if sheetrock?????
I need to hang three MH's and not sure how to do it because our ceiling is sheetrock.

While the little lady was cooking today I got to hang up my third light above the tank. A 250 watt MH
ne4epamu.jpg

OP
OP
Emac909

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank I really should have waited and get a 180 instead of my 125 kicking myself now... But I have a question for you how did you hang your MH into the ceiling? And is your ceiling made out if sheetrock?????
I need to hang three MH's and not sure how to do it because our ceiling is sheetrock.

It is Sheetrock but I pulled out the stud finder and found the cross beams. Then I mounted a 3" by 56" board to the ceiling and screwed the board to the cross beams.
zunune8y.jpg

In this pic u can see the board.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back