The Maelstrom 120

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had the chance to play much over the last week, which is likely to continue for at least one more week due to work. Carpentry stuff is in holding pattern till I get a good amount of time to dedicate to it.

In the meantime, stopped by the LFS and scooped up a BRS RODI (6 stage) and a bucket (blue) of Red Sea salt. Plan is to transfer the dry rock aquascape into a 25gal tub and start the cycle over the next few months. Hopefully that won't be an issue, but it'll likely have to stay in the tub for at least a month and half, or close to Xmas before I get the tank ready.

Solid plan. Slow and steady wins the race. Xmas is a realistic timeline, not to mention an awesome gift to yourself!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man, that is really looking good! Sweet deal on the inverter, I picked up 4 90 Ah 12v batteries the company was just going to toss, was planning to run at least a powerhead and the reef pi on one. With that little load should last 3 or 4 days easy. We use a bunch of marathon brand and they have been decent for the price. Can’t wait for Christmas to see how it all turns out!

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang man, that is really looking good! Sweet deal on the inverter, I picked up 4 90 Ah 12v batteries the company was just going to toss, was planning to run at least a powerhead and the reef pi on one. With that little load should last 3 or 4 days easy. We use a bunch of marathon brand and they have been decent for the price. Can’t wait for Christmas to see how it all turns out!

Haha, thanks! Yeah once i bought the salt mix for the rock cycle, I got really excited, then realized just how much more I have left to do.

The inverter is a monster, but I'm wondering if I should sell it (unit retails for 400-500) and put the money towards a generator so that wouldn't have to have a giant battery bank. Then make a diy battery backup for the mp40s just to run till I can get home and fire up the genny.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, thanks! Yeah once i bought the salt mix for the rock cycle, I got really excited, then realized just how much more I have left to do.

The inverter is a monster, but I'm wondering if I should sell it (unit retails for 400-500) and put the money towards a generator so that wouldn't have to have a giant battery bank. Then make a diy battery backup for the mp40s just to run till I can get home and fire up the genny.
I feel you, i am in that same boat right now, everything is ready to be put in and plumbed but there is a TON of little things to do still!
I would if it were me sell that bad boy unless you need it for something else. going from 120 AC to 12-24 DC and back to 120AC is super inefficient too. A little battery backup goes a long ways when you aren't converting it. And you can take the generator camping! :D:D

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With tank delivery quickly approaching, something else I thought of. The stand is sitting on carpet at this time. What are people's thoughts on tanks and carpet?

Would yall suggest chatting it out under the tank? Set it on subfloor? Put down couple of laminate planks?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do tile under mine, but the wife vetoed it... so it is setting on carpet. Wasn't too bad, just have to get weight on it to be able to shim it level if necessary.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's here!

20191216_125357.jpg

Those suction cup handles were probably the most anxiety enducing things I've dealt with this year.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back