The Mandarin Reef: Waterbox Marine 35.2 AIO

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't comment on the prawn cycle as I haven't cycled a tank for years and have only live rock, following your results and they look good, how many days for the prawn do you think you would recommend, I'm thinking 2 or 3 days would be enough?

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't comment on the prawn cycle as I haven't cycled a tank for years and have only live rock, following your results and they look good, how many days for the prawn do you think you would recommend, I'm thinking 2 or 3 days would be enough?
I'm following the template of a good friend who has a VERY cool setup, 200 gallons total volume counting sump, about 18 months old now. It seems as though there isnt a stupid rigid rule when it comes to when to take it out, I just waited for my ammonia to be at the highest reading on my test kit, and then removed it. This equated to about 3 days for my tank. The water was also suuuuuuper cloudy. I think it would just depend on your tank size, obviously a bigger tank would need more time. I was also adding MicroBacter7 daily with the instructions on the bottle.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now...things are getting interested. Definitely would like some input if anyone has some advice from here on because this is where I get confused lol. My ammonia has basically dropped to zero, the dumb API test always shows a slight green color, even on my other tank. Asked the LFS owner, and his tanks are the same. My Nitrite is still through the roof, although obviously being converted to nitrate at a steady rate. Do I need to introduce a small amount of ammonia, or just wait for nitrite to read zero? Just not sure how long I should have it at 0-.25ppm ammonia, and if it will have any effect on the bacteria I just cultivated.

20200911_204330.jpg

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 16. Didnt add ammonia. I'm still consulting this chart and it actually shows 0 ammonia for a lengthy period as well. The length of each part of the cycle (days) can vary due to tank size, initial ammonia, etc. Still waiting on a little more conversion to nitrate.

20200912_200919.jpg CyclingGraph.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm nearing the end of my cycle, I wanted to start getting serious about addressing the copepod problem. I narrowed it down to about 4 choices total:

1) Buy ORA/Biota Mandarins. While I will probably go this route combined with one of the following three, I read many posts (only anecdotal data though) about how even if it eats frozen foods, it will still need the supplementation of copepods. I didn't want to take a chance of frozen food not being enough, or having to constantly feed.

2) Build a separate tank setup for culturing copepods, using the information sheet I posted a while back. I have some nice shelf space, and feel like I could create a classy look, and culture enough pods to help supplement the tank. The downsides seemed to be that in reality I would need 2 tanks in case of failure, and also needing to add phyto, the space requirements, etc.

3) A small 'hang on back' or 'in-tank' refugium. Multiple products available, although some were quite expensive. The only downsides I could see here were making sure adequate flow goes through chambers, having another piece of equipment in the tank sort of looked ugly, and they weren't cheap. I also wasnt sure how a macroalgae would receive light through this method, or if my DT light would be sufficient (I have shelves in tank that do cast some shadows).

4) Building a refugium in one of the AIO chambers in the back of the tank. Again, several media basket type products available, and refugium lights that simply attach to the back of your tank. You can run the light in 12 hour intervals, generally opposite of the DT settings.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ultimately decided to build a chamber in the AIO part of my tank, and attach a light to the backside. I ordered my parts today, and will post some pics when they come in. All that I'm waiting for is for Algaebarn to replenish their stock and I will also buy some sort of starter kit that includes pods and clean chaeto. They are currently sold out of their chaeto products :(

Screenshot_20200913-134040_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200913-134119_Samsung Internet.jpg

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ora Mandarin that eats frozen 2 twice a day and pecs for pods all day. I seeded a refugium and created rock "pod" hotels in my display. I also cultivate pods and phyto in separate containers. Like you I started with the intention of keeping this fish. A month after set up, using Dr. Tims and ammonia, I bought the Algae Barn Refugium set up kit and dumped 4 additional bottles of 5280 pods in the system. I add cultivated pods every week. My tank was running for 4 months total and 3 months since after adding the pods before I put the Mandarin in. The pods were very noticeable on the glass at that time. Good luck.

My tank's only downside is I cant seem to keep macros alive.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ora Mandarin that eats frozen 2 twice a day and pecs for pods all day. I seeded a refugium and created rock "pod" hotels in my display. I also cultivate pods and phyto in separate containers. Like you I started with the intention of keeping this fish. A month after set up, using Dr. Tims and ammonia, I bought the Algae Barn Refugium set up kit and dumped 4 additional bottles of 5280 pods in the system. I add cultivated pods every week. My tank was running for 4 months total and 3 months since after adding the pods before I put the Mandarin in. The pods were very noticeable on the glass at that time. Good luck.

My tank's only downside is I cant seem to keep macros alive.

How big is your tank, and are there any other fish? I had really thought about getting 2 mandarins and no other fish, but it seems like the pod consumption might be a little bit too much to manage. Also, do you have any pics of your setups for your pods? Pretty sure I'm going to have to go that route as well, so I'd love to see what's working for you if you dont mind. And lastly, how long has your mandarin been in your tank now?

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ultimately decided to build a chamber in the AIO part of my tank, and attach a light to the backside. I ordered my parts today, and will post some pics when they come in. All that I'm waiting for is for Algaebarn to replenish their stock and I will also buy some sort of starter kit that includes pods and clean chaeto. They are currently sold out of their chaeto products :(

Screenshot_20200913-134040_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200913-134119_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very cool idea, looking forward to the update.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank, and are there any other fish? I had really thought about getting 2 mandarins and no other fish, but it seems like the pod consumption might be a little bit too much to manage. Also, do you have any pics of your setups for your pods? Pretty sure I'm going to have to go that route as well, so I'd love to see what's working for you if you don't mind. And lastly, how long has your mandarin been in your tank now?

I have a 54 Gallon Red Sea Reefer with a larger aftermarket sump.
my fish right now are
2 clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Coral Beauty Angel
and CUC of crabs and snails.

This is what I went to after a ugly Diy system for the culturing.
Phyto.jpg

My Mandarin has been in my tank since early May. I want a second Mandarin but not until I upgrade. At that point I hope to have 200 gallons. I wouldn't be comfortable with 2 in such a small tank with out fish potentially eating pods too.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 Gallon Red Sea Reefer with a larger aftermarket sump.
my fish right now are
2 clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Coral Beauty Angel
and CUC of crabs and snails.

This is what I went to after a ugly Diy system for the culturing.
Phyto.jpg

My Mandarin has been in my tank since early May. I want a second Mandarin but not until I upgrade. At that point I hope to have 200 gallons. I wouldn't be comfortable with 2 in such a small tank with out fish potentially eating pods too.
A friend of mine has a 200 gallon system, 160 DT and 40 gallon sump. He currently has 3 mandarins, along with quite a few other fish, and they seem to do well. His tank is ~18months old though. What blows my mind is he also has a bare bottom tank, which I thought would hurt his pod populations overall, but I guess that's not the case when you have a huge total volume.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has a 200 gallon system, 160 DT and 40 gallon sump. He currently has 3 mandarins, along with quite a few other fish, and they seem to do well. His tank is ~18months old though. What blows my mind is he also has a bare bottom tank, which I thought would hurt his pod populations overall, but I guess that's not the case when you have a huge total volume.

That is awesome. I want at least 200 for the display. I hate being fish limited because of size :D

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 17. May to difficult to tell the change in the picture, but in person the Nitrite actually seems much lighter. It also took quite a bit to actually change to purple today.

20200913_171028.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your tread and appreciate all the work you put into keeping this fish. Ime the green spotted mandarins are quite likely to accept some frozen food supplimental feeding. You still need pods but its nice to know they take something like pemysis that has some nutrition as well as live pods. Heres my pair while i was working on pairing them :)
Anyway, idk if your open to this type of fish or set on a specific blue or red one but i have this pair in my 150 where pods are supplied via my ats (no supplimental pods) and they munch down frozen food with all my other fish and eat pods all day and seem fat and happy.

MVIMG_20200913_204647.jpg

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had said in earlier post, my Mandarin eats frozen, (got him from Live Aquaria and he was a Biota), and is very healthy. I have a Red Sea Max E-260 with a sump and no refugium. I supplement pods like once every 2 months. You can see him in my avatar pic.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling is seemingly finished! I'm honestly a little bit confused as to how the nitrates arent slightly higher, but ammonia and nitrite have returned to an undetectable amount. This would be just shy of 3 weeks total time. Tomorrow I'll probably do a water change, and add in my CUC, and dose with copepods. What's your favorite CUC, and why?!

20200914_220358.jpg

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add a slight modification to the tank, and increase my porous dry rock surface area a bit. My original goal was to hit the 1 lbs. of rock / gallon mark, and I would pass that if I include this second 'floating piece.' Hopefully you dont find it too clunky or overboard with the 'floating' theme. I've narrowed it down to two choices, pics included. An added bonus is that the 2nd fixture can completely hide my Nero 5, so no equipment will be visible in the DT

20200914_214423.jpg 20200914_141550.jpg 20200914_140928.jpg 20200914_141615.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! Looks like your moving forward and starting everything right.
I like the scape, cool floating theme, prefer the second placement with new roc on the right but feel like it might need to be lower to account for potential coral growth.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I've posted any sort of update. I ultimately made an equipment checklist, and decided to just get absolutely everything I want and hope for long term success. The build DEFINITELY wasn't cheap, but I'd rather be happy with the aesthetic look, and overall quality of equipment. I should have absolutely all of my equipment by this Friday, 9/25, and I'll begin dosing pods to the tank. Today I received my Tunze ATO (was sold out everywhere for quite a while) and my IM 5 gallon reservoir. I really like the look of the reservoir, and it has a convenient drawer that pulls out for refills so you never have to move the entire container. Overall pretty happy!

20200922_134549.jpg 20200922_140024.jpg

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also shout out to Octo Aquatics for making me these acrylic cups for my Waterbox. Also purchased my magnets for the floating 'scape from the same company. Timely delivery, and great looking stuff.

20200922_154627.jpg 20200922_154956.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back