OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms.....yay? Definitely in the ugly stages right now, but I guess that means my tank is progressing. The rocks have been brown for about 5 days now. Missing the look of my nice clean rocks :(.

Going to add Tigger Pods x 2 next week, and then allow the tank to mature until December 1st before I add in the dragonets. Getting close! I can see copepods crawling in the HoB refugium, and somewhat on the back wall of my AIO. Just hoping to give them another full month to really get a foothold on a solid population.

20201014_141149.jpg 20201014_141139.jpg

DeanB.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tank is really progressing!

Are you planning on feeding frozen as well or solely relying on the pods for food?

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tank is really progressing!

Are you planning on feeding frozen as well or solely relying on the pods for food?
I'm sure that I'll have to ultimately supplement with frozen food of some sort. I'm trying to have as large a copepod population as possible though. I'm actually debating running a chaeto reactor in my AIO chamber as well as having the refugium just for more space. I already have all the equipment to do so, just trying to avoid using another light haha

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I switched stands 9/28, and had cycled the tank entirely before, but am still not having great success with pods. My refugium has started growing slight amounts of algae, and the chaeto is growing rapidly. I had I rough diatom bloom, but it all disappeared leaving normal rock. Im a little surprised how clean my rock still looks at this point, and I'm sure that's also not helping pod populations. Corals are all doing great, and I've established a nice little euphyllia garden. I've dosed about 4 containers of pods or so, and am going to hold off until December. Hoping to be able to see more visible amounts of pods before I add in the mandarins. I am, however, debating a clown pair or a goby/pistol shrimp just to get some sort of ammonia source instead of ghost feeding.

20201107_155040.jpg 20201107_155059.jpg 20201107_155845.jpg

Last edited:

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, as I am looking at same tank; could you please tell me what are the dimensions of the back chambers? Couldn't find it on the net. Thank you.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, as I am looking at same tank; could you please tell me what are the dimensions of the back chambers? Couldn't find it on the net. Thank you.
I unfortunately just saw this, do you still need the numbers?

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now 3 months old. I'm starting to notice little hitchhikers here and there, and it seems like everything is pretty well established. Have yet to experience any significant algae blooms, other than an initial diatom spread. Still cant seem to keep pods in any sort of visible population. Will probably dose pods again at the beginning of December, and reevaluate. My LFS has so many dragonets in stock, its killing me. On a good note, added to the hammer garden! XL Orange Hammer I got for a steal from my LFS Black Friday sale.

Attachments

• 20201125_125528.jpg
    20201125_125528.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20201125_125431.jpg
    20201125_125431.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 100

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately just saw this, do you still need the numbers?
No, thank you. I just bought one. It will take me a while to set it up though, trying to figure out what to replace the socks with. It will be a pain to clean a 2" diameter filter sock!

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, thank you. I just bought one. It will take me a while to set it up though, trying to figure out what to replace the socks with. It will be a pain to clean a 2" diameter filter sock!
Look up Octo Aquatics, they make a filter media holder that fits the Waterbox. Super clean.

OP
OP
A

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ecstasy and the agony. This hobby can be brutal, and its horrible to watch something beautiful that you created slowly die.

Anyone have experience/issues with AI templates for their Prime lights? I've been running a template for a while, pic included. I don't have a PAR meter although I might try to get my hands on one. Had a bunch of people tell me my zoas were reaching for light, so I very slightly modified my light output, and it killed a ton of my corals in a matter of a few days. Some of my torches, which were higher up in the tank, were completely unaffected. All of my hammers basically were wiped out though. All other parameters for water quality have been consistent:
1.025 salinity
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Very low reading for nitrate, hard to be exact
78 degrees

Super depressing. Not quite to the give up stage, but I dont even like looking at my tank currently which is a super sad thing to think about when it comes to this hobby

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206-160344_myAI.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-160344_myAI.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 85

twall73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to hear of your experience with the Mandarin in a 30 gallon. I just started a 30 gallon tank tonight so I am a long way before being able to add one. Like you I read that they must be in a larger tank but I would love to have one when the time is right. They are beautiful fish!

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty meticulous person and wanted this to be the perfect display tank with some higher end corals along with my mandarin. I decided to go the LPS route, given that the mandarin prefers a lower flow rate from what information I've read through. I dont really care for the bare bottom look, and also wanted a solid bed of sand to eventually aid with copepods, biological filtration, etc. With the mandarin being native to the Indo-Pacific ocean areas, how convenient that Caribsea makes an Indo Pacific arag-alive sand! It was perfect. However upon some further research, I found the sand to be discontinued. On top of that, I found this VERY interesting read about a fellow reef2reef member struggling with nickel/vanadium problems from the same sand! I decided to go with Fiji Pink from Caribsea instead, despite some claiming it leads to cloudiness from the small granule size.

210701-caribsea-indo-pacific.jpg
I'm starting the same tank model. How many pounds of sand you used and for what thickness?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back