The Mediocreef

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dibs on any jerky you end up making. At least a nibble.
Third dibs! :)
I don't have time or place for hunting wild game right now, but I make beef, chicken, and turkey jerky and hope to try pork jerky soon (supposed to be safe if frozen for 30+ days at 0°F).

This Saturday is already planned as a jerky-making day (beef and chicken), so interesting timing on the discussion!

P.S. I'm partial to fully sweet teriyaki...

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time or place for hunting wild game right now, but I make beef, chicken, and turkey jerky and hope to try pork jerky soon (supposed to be safe if frozen for 30+ days at 0°F).

This Saturday is already planned as a jerky-making day (beef and chicken), so interesting timing on the discussion!

Spicy and LOTS OF GARLIC.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll have to try making some sometime.

Black pepper.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take that, too!

I'll have to try making some sometime.
If you have a dehydrator or can use your oven like one, I highly recommend making jerky if you like it.
It is not very difficult and can yield amazing results!

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take that, too!

If you have a dehydrator or can use your oven like one, I highly recommend making jerky if you like it.
It is not very difficult and can yield amazing results!
Ninjas version of an instapot. I think it's got a jerky setting. Got everything else...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ninjas version of an instapot. I think it's got a jerky setting. Got everything else...
Many years ago, I was a little insulted when my husband got me this as a present. "Like seriously, our love has moved to kitchen appliance purchases". Now, I consider it one of my favorite things he has gotten me LOL.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work great! I have not used one for that specific purpose before, but know it should be capable. My family and I use ours a lot (same "Ninja foodi", we've got several).

Many years ago, I was a little insulted when my husband got me this as a present. "Like seriously, our love has moved to kitchen appliance purchases". Now, I consider it one of my favorite things he has gotten me LOL.
These things are amazing for simplicity and versatility!

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on our registry. Gets used at least one a week, twice in the summer so I don't need to turn the oven on.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work great! I have not used one for that specific purpose before, but know it should be capable. My family and I use ours a lot (same "Ninja foodi", we've got several).

The mrs made yogurt last week. Had better success than I did, but she is more meticulous than I am.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mrs made yogurt last week. Had better success than I did, but she is more meticulous than I am.
My sister had great success making yogurt in the Ninja foodi as well!
My brother that is an electrical engineer did a college project a few years ago that converted a crockpot into a yogurt maker that also worked quite well.

I've been wanting to start a regular cycle making yogurt for a long time, but just can't seem to find the time for it due to all my other priorities right now. Eventually, it will make it onto my routine along with making jerky (sporadic at best right now).

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister had great success making yogurt in the Ninja foodi as well!
My brother that is an electrical engineer did a college project a few years ago that converted a crockpot into a yogurt maker that also worked quite well.

I've been wanting to start a regular cycle making yogurt for a long time, but just can't seem to find the time for it due to all my other priorities right now. Eventually, it will make it onto my routine along with making jerky (sporadic at best right now).
I understand the too many commitments too little time. Even the reef is taking a back seat.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the shells go in the calc reactor?

Now we're really reef related!
No, I don't have any calc reactors set up yet.
I'll remember this for future justification of regular dietary needs for lobster (it is one of my favorites!). :D

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't have any calc reactors set up yet.
I'll remember this for future justification of regular dietary needs for lobster (it is one of my favorites!). :D
Or they can go in the compost, really good for gardens as far as I know. But you can keep your lobster, at least the tails. the body and legs are another discussion.
Sounds like she'd make a good reefer
in the short term, yeah. she also gets distracted. her office FW tank needs some love.

Although, I did catch her enjoying the tank yesterday. First time I've seen that in my absence.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love instajerky. Partially freeze meet, cut into strips, marinate overnight, pop it in before work, and done by dinner.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love instajerky. Partially freeze meet, cut into strips, marinate overnight, pop it in before work, and done by dinner.
That is essentially my current process, though I have a jerky slicer so I typically pre-cut and re-freeze the meat in bulk until I am ready to make a batch of jerky. Marinate for about 24 hours, start the dehydrator in the morning, taste the finished jerky that evening.

I have plans (possibly soon) to make a combination cold/hot smoker/dehydrator that should greatly improve the quality of the jerky due to actual smoke rather than smoke powder added into the marinade. I've cold-smoked bacon several times in the past few years in a converted old refrigerator, but don't trust the plastic interior at hot-smoke/dehydration temperatures.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back