Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS today:

Screenshot_20230210-101857.png

I think I know what I'm doing with the 5 gallon.
Dude ask me about endless and cherry shrimp. That the majority of my 55g

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Green Dragon and Green Flame Endlers for a while. They never bred.
Wow, that seems surprising to me, as I've had Guppies in several tanks over the years and now my tank of Endler's and they have always ended up breeding. I've never had high-end or specific-type livebearers, though, so maybe the common types breed more readily?

Dude ask me about endless and cherry shrimp. That the majority of my 55g
Do your cherry shrimp breed regularly? I'd like to get them for both my community and goldfish tank (unless they cannot tolerate colder water, still reading about them) and hope to have a sustainable population over years if possible.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that seems surprising to me, as I've had Guppies in several tanks over the years and now my tank of Endler's and they have always ended up breeding. I've never had high-end or specific-type livebearers, though, so maybe the common types breed more readily?

Do your cherry shrimp breed regularly? I'd like to get them for both my community and goldfish tank (unless they cannot tolerate colder water, still reading about them) and hope to have a sustainable population over years if possible.
Yes they just started going crazy. Took a while for them to get going. Haven't had the time to figure out why though.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they just started going crazy. Took a while for them to get going. Haven't had the time to figure out why though.
I'm hoping to get the same result, though I still need to read more about proper care to try to provide the best chances.
This also probably won't happen soon, since I need to reconfigure my 40B double-stack systems and plan my final intended freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peoria is my closest city! ...Peoria, IL that is.

Wow, those are great deals! I've been looking into getting cherry shrimp and plan to do so soon once I get my 40B double-stack systems reconfigured.

I've had Endler's for a year and a half now in a 20g tank I started as a "pond" for toad tadpoles. The original 7 Endler's were free from the guy I bought tanks from in summer of 2021. They are the true "wild type" with a little less color and not as long of fins, though the males still pretty closely match the one in that picture. I like the relative plainness of the females.
They've bred up to and maintained a population of about 45-50 in this tank with essentially no maintenance other than feeding!

What makes Endler's more work? I have a pond tank 20g that I have run maintenance-free (other than obvious feeding as well as removing a handful of green hair algae every few months) with a thriving community of Endler's. I don't try to sell some, though, so maybe that process is where I am missing the work?

Mostly it was keeping up with the thinning and water changes. They bred like crazy.

I have some in my plant overflow with rosy red minnows. No heater there.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My thoughts. Too much inbreeding can cause sterility.
Mine did when I had them.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3 females to one male
I think I ended up with 10 plus a couple babies. Like 7 females and 3 males. The extra males may go in the 110 with a couple of females. The better females will probably go to work and I'll get a nice male later. Also got 6 cherries - at least 1 is berried. Looks like 3 females, 1 male, and 2 juvies.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like page 51 was the last reef related post from me. So here's a sort of update:
Printing lids, these are the back. Gotta figure out the front as what I have made, even with clear casts a shadow. I will probably just cut acrylic. What will that do for the gas exchange? I hear it's a thing that matters.
20230210_194432.gif
IMG_20230210_193947397_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaned the socks last night. Mrs. spent some time looking up easier ways to do it than bent over a sink. Turns out they can go in the laundry on heavy soil. any other advice?

and tested salinity for the Hanna giveaway. 1.026 and 76.8 degrees taken via icecap probe.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cup of bleach in wash cycle ,rinse 2X , let air dry... ;) :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back