Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Content Warning: reef-related content, fish death, fickle hearts

My drains were noisy last night after getting home. It was running really high so I played with the gate valve, something must have broken loose and the drain opened. Everything flowed as it should. But I noticed that the wrasse, usually swimming around the top, wasn't there. You are probably smart enough to put the pieces together from here. He must have jumped the weir box and got sucked in. I found him dead in the filter sock.

That was yesterday. Today I stopped by petco, because I needed to go to home depot (they are in the same lot, so why not stop right?). They had a melenarus wrasse, and a blue spot toby. Even while mourning, I almost caved. If they are there (probably won't be) next time, I will come home with them.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My drains were noisy last night after getting home. It was running really high so I played with the gate valve, something must have broken loose and the drain opened. Everything flowed as it should. But I noticed that the wrasse, usually swimming around the top, wasn't there. You are probably smart enough to put the pieces together from here. He must have jumped the weir box and got sucked in. I found him dead in the filter sock.

That was yesterday. Today I stopped by petco, because I needed to go to home depot (they are in the same lot, so why not stop right?). They had a melenarus wrasse, and a blue spot toby. Even while mourning, I almost caved. If they are there (probably won't be) next time, I will come home with them.
Sorry for your loss :crying-face:

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation is stressful
IMG_20230401_101557840.jpg
IMG_20230401_101259598_HDR.jpg

And hard to photograph.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish freed this morning. The foxy pretty much has stayed in the corner under the overflow and the coral beauty found the rocks, and was getting chased by the tang. I fed them mysis and that seemed to cut the chasing some. we'll see what is happening when I get home tonight.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest stock list:
Roughly the order added to the tank

purple fire fish
springer damsel
black ocelareis clown (x2)
Falko hawkfish
Green spot Manderin
Orchid dottyback
Blue eyed kole tang
Foxface
coral beauty

CUC probably:

fighting conch
chestnut cowry
bumblebee snails (3-5)
nasarius (5)
nerite (6)
hermits (3-6)
tuxedo urchin

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry for the loss.

Out of curiosity, what type of overflow plumbing design are you using?

With the partial blockage, how did it perform?

After my trigger jumped the weirs and lodged itself in the main drain, I ended up adding strainer insert to each.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the loss.

Out of curiosity, what type of overflow plumbing design are you using?

With the partial blockage, how did it perform?

After my trigger jumped the weirs and lodged itself in the main drain, I ended up adding strainer insert to each.
After reading you coach M on her new one. I know it's not a bean animal. I don't think I could push enough water with my return to create a syphon on the 1.5" drain without the gate on the open one.

I have 3x 1.5" drains that drop down to one inch. first has a gate and is otherwise unrestricted, second is overflowy (elbow with holes drilled in to raise water line) and third is an emergency. Is that a herby+? If pictures help I can do that tomorrow.

The water level rose in the box and the second drain was noisy a la pre-syphon. So I cleaned somma algae off before messing with the gate.

I am soon adding a strainer, want to 3d print it as I did the feeding cup. I will get it on before I add more known jumpers and probably this week.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading you coach M on her new one. I know it's not a bean animal. I don't think I could push enough water with my return to create a syphon on the 1.5" drain without the gate on the open one.
I feel ya. I'm not pushing enough to fully open flow 1.5" pipes either, but it's nice having the ability to.
I have 3x 1.5" drains that drop down to one inch. first has a gate and is otherwise unrestricted, second is overflowy (elbow with holes drilled in to raise water line) and third is an emergency. Is that a herby+? If pictures help I can do that tomorrow.

The water level rose in the box and the second drain was noisy a la pre-syphon. So I cleaned somma algae off before messing with the gate.
Still sounds like a bean animal variant to me.

I'm glad the secondary was able to absorb the extra flow needs.

They may be a pain, but that's why we build them with redundancy in mind.

With a standard 1.5" single pipe durso, your pump would have likely emptied the sump into the display and the display runneth over.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya. I'm not pushing enough to fully open flow 1.5" pipes either, but it's nice having the ability to.
I may be able to get fully open if I switch to 1" returns and get rid of a 90 bend. It drops down to 1" after a foot or so.
Still sounds like a bean animal variant to me.
Drain 2 gets a trickle.
I'm glad the secondary was able to absorb the extra flow needs.

They may be a pain, but that's why we build them with redundancy in mind.
The third drain didn't even get touched.
With a standard 1.5" single pipe durso, your pump would have likely emptied the sump into the display and the display runneth over.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be able to get fully open if I switch to 1" returns and get rid of a 90 bend. It drops down to 1" after a foot or so.

Drain 2 gets a trickle.

The third drain didn't even get touched.
If the secondary is just a trickle, then it would be a Herbie+E.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back