Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I didn't buy Friday from petco:
blue leopard wrasse,
blue mandarin dragonette,
keyhole angel
there were at least two others.

I am leaving town this weekend and current qt ends on the 5th so I want to be a good boy and wait till that tank opens up.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caved and bought something tank related today. Thats makes 66 days i was on the wagon. The purchase was new test kits, which is not a fun purchase, so I don't think it counts :winking-face-with-tongue:
Test kits can be important. Was it an upgrade or replacement? Also, how much of an enabler do you want me to be?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits can be important. Was it an upgrade or replacement? Also, how much of an enabler do you want me to be?
I decided to give Red Sea Pro ALK test kit a try. I currently use Salifert and I have been getting low ALK results in my cube and it just isn't matching up with what I think I should be getting. Premium Aquatics is running a sale right now where you get 25% off with Red Seas test kits using a code they texted me. I then purchased a NO3 pro for 50% because it expires in 1/23 and I wanted to get free shipping. Figured I would give that a whirl, since I do like the Pro P04 I have been using. I figured it wouldn't hurt to cross reference. :winking-face-with-tongue: OOOOOOOR it might actually, because if I get very different results, I might go insane not knowing which one to trust.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Mschmidt how are the montis doing?
The green plating looks like it might be bleaching. The others are holding strong I think. Sloppy super glue on a portion of one of them, bleached under that obv. White tips on the other branching. Is that growth or death?
I can get pics when I get home.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give Red Sea Pro ALK test kit a try. I currently use Salifert and I have been getting low ALK results in my cube and it just isn't matching up with what I think I should be getting. Premium Aquatics is running a sale right now where you get 25% off with Red Seas test kits using a code they texted me. I then purchased a NO3 pro for 50% because it expires in 1/23 and I wanted to get free shipping. Figured I would give that a whirl, since I do like the Pro P04 I have been using. I figured it wouldn't hurt to cross reference. :winking-face-with-tongue: OOOOOOOR it might actually, because if I get very different results, I might go insane not knowing which one to trust.
Those all sound like reasonable purchases. And on sale!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green plating looks like it might be bleaching. The others are holding strong I think. Sloppy super glue on a portion of one of them, bleached under that obv. White tips on the other branching. Is that growth or death?
I can get pics when I get home.

Gotcha! Green plating meaning the green monti cap?

Usually white tips mean growth, although it could be some die back too, depends what it looks like.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to stop on my way home and see if the Foxface is still there and maybe not leave the store without it? If he's healthy looking, if his mouth looks like it's healing, and if they'll honor the price they have listed for the One Spot and not the Lo he'll be mine! My wife didn't actually say no so.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stop on my way home and see if the Foxface is still there and maybe not leave the store without it? If he's healthy looking, if his mouth looks like it's healing, and if they'll honor the price they have listed for the One Spot and not the Lo he'll be mine! My wife didn't actually say no so.
lotta ifs in there though.

Mine should be getting the powder gray, gold rim, white cheek what-have-you Acanthurus Nigricans (what the search calls it) today. I'm not planning on stopping, but do want to see it. maybe tomorrow...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I didn't buy Friday from petco:
blue leopard wrasse,
blue mandarin dragonette,
keyhole angel
there were at least two others.

I am leaving town this weekend and current qt ends on the 5th so I want to be a good boy and wait till that tank opens up.
I know this struggle very well.

So well in fact that I keep two QT's running at all times because of course, every time I start a cycle, 10 days later, there's a fish I find or forgot about and don't want to restart...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this struggle very well.

So well in fact that I keep two QT's running at all times because of course, every time I start a cycle, 10 days later, there's a fish I find or forgot about and don't want to restart...
after all, I have 7 empty tanks in my house atm... why not, why shouldn't I?

Should there be any issue running one qt into another? modest water change to clean up detritus? bit water change to cut Cu back down to half?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Should there be any issue running one qt into another? modest water change to clean up detritus? bit water change to cut Cu back down to half?
Not recommended. Reusing old QT water can transfer diseases.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... There are two answers to this. The do as I say people, and the do as I do people..

The do as I say people say, The tank should be torn down and sterilized, then restarted with cycled media every time.

Purpose for this so far as I can tell is because of the risk of uranoma, as well as Brooklynella.

I dose formalin into the QT after copper has drawn down so I don't worry about Brook that much anymore. Uranoma has never really been a concern of mine.

The do is I do people, Will tell you to break the tank down between, but they just run one into the other...

I have had new bags floating, while changing over occupants.

How I consider it is when the quarantine is done, these fish are healthy. There is nothing transmissible any longer from the fish into the display, therefore, there should be nothing transmissible from the QT, to the new occupants.

This hasn't bitten me in the butt Yet.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recommended. Reusing old QT water can transfer diseases.
Let's talk about that....

What diseases? If there are diseases in your quarantine water after you've finished quarantine, Why are you moving the fish into a display? Aren't they diseased as well?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

What diseases? If there are diseases in your quarantine water after you've finished quarantine, Why are you moving the fish into a display? Aren't they diseased as well?
Beats me, I'm a do as I say guy. I throw them straight into the DT like a dummy.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

This is true. It's like you said, "they" tell you. I don't do it. I need to set up a QT. How I do it is definitely not the correct way. :oops:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. It's like you said, "they" tell you. I don't do it. I need to set up a QT. How I do it is definitely not the correct way. :oops:
Right way wrong way risky way….if it works for you, then it works. Your success with your specific method no matter if it’s wrong or right in the reefing algorithm, doesn’t have to be what is said to be right or wrong in stone. All I’m saying is I
if you have success and if you keep having success with whatever way you are using then you are golden.

Last edited:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right way wrong way risky way….if it works for you, then it works. Your success with your specific method no matter if it’s wrong or right in the reefing algorithm, doesn’t have to be what is said to be right or wrong in stone. All I’m saying is I
if you have success and if you keep having success with whatever way you are using then you are golden.
Until we're not. Unfortunately.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back