The Mediocreef

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that when enough "they's" say something, it then is repeated without question from others who don't think it through.

Like you said, you don't even have a dog in this race, but still put forward "Not recommended. Reusing old QT water can transfer diseases." Which is True. They do say that. It still doesn't pass the sniff test.

if you move a fish with uranoma out of qt, into the display with uranoma, it is now in your tank. Every fish that comes into the display, will be moving Into an environment, housing latent uranoma. What is the benefit of sterilizing the system if the outcome is the same?

I've attempted to have this conversation multiple times, with people with whom I disagree. They always lean back on the same two things and I find Fault in the logic of it and people get angry. .
This is true. It's like you said, "they" tell you. I don't do it. I need to set up a QT. How I do it is definitely not the correct way. :oops:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The problem is that when enough "they's" say something, it then is repeated without question from others who don't think it through.

Like you said, you don't even have a dog in this race, but still put forward "Not recommended. Reusing old QT water can transfer diseases." Which is True. They do say that. It still doesn't pass the sniff test.

if you move a fish with uranoma out of qt, into the display with uranoma, it is now in your tank. Every fish that comes into the display, will be moving Into an environment, housing latent uranoma. What is the benefit of sterilizing the system if the outcome is the same?

I've attempted to have this conversation multiple times, with people with whom I disagree. They always lean back on the same two things and I find Fault in the logic of it and people get angry. .
Truth! I didn't even consider the part about the disease transferring to the DT until after you said it. I guess the only benefit is if everything in your tank gets wiped out the newly QTed fish are safe? I try not too.blindly spout information for this very reason. Now I feel all sad because you're angry at me.

Ok, you're not angry at me for real so I'm not sad anymore. I agree! Marshall, reuse the QT water. It already has medication so why waste it and it potentially already has bacteria so it may be better than freshly mixed water anyways.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth! I didn't even consider the part about the disease transferring to the DT until after you said it. I guess the only benefit is if everything in your tank gets wiped out the newly QTed fish are safe? I try not too.blindly spout information for this very reason. Now I feel all sad because you're angry at me.

Ok, you're not angry at me for real so I'm not sad anymore. I agree! Marshall, reuse the QT water. It already has medication so why waste it and it potentially already has bacteria so it may be better than freshly mixed water anyways.
Not angry in the slightest. Just Disappointed in you @tbrown3589
Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I'm also not saying that I'm objectively correct either. I'm not married to my opinion here. So far, nobody's giving me anything that makes sense, to change my opinion though. There are some outliers like 1 qt, feeding multiple separate systems when it May make sense to reboot the qt every time.

The question stands. If a QT is too "dirty" (and I use dirty meaning diseases and pathogens ) to reuse, then How are the fish exiting this quarantine, any better off?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not angry in the slightest. Just Disappointed in you @tbrown3589
Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I'm also not saying that I'm objectively correct either. I'm not married to my opinion here. So far, nobody's giving me anything that makes sense, to change my opinion though. There are some outliers like 1 qt, feeding multiple separate systems when it May make sense to reboot the qt every time.

The question stands. If a QT is too "dirty" (and I use dirty meaning diseases and pathogens ) to reuse, then How are the fish exiting this quarantine, any better off?
Truth! And it's ok to be disappointed in me. I'm human and am allowed to be disappointing sometimes. I have to p over I'm not Chuck Norris and let it happen occasionally.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I missed quite the three hours! Thanks @Lost in the Sauce and @tbrown3589 for the discussion.

Some further considerations for Marshalls qt status: only one fish currently living in the display has made it through a quarantine. The rest were plopped in. The 40 did get a full course of ruby rally, so half the fish have been medicated with that. Coral dipped and inverts nothin. If there is a disease, and there could very well be, it's already in the tank. Qt at this point is a hedge. I was going to rally pro dip the fish from qt. But I could also treat the display now or after I add the"final" fish.

I have never heard of uranoma, so now I have something else to Google.

I also appreciate the discussion because I am aware of Jay's "current quarantine protocol" as best practice. And if anything short of that happens be prepared for any negative consequences. I'm not sure if the protocol touched on what to do with the tank after the fish leave.

Keeping media cycled isn't an issue. It'd probably speed up the fish buying if I did nothing to the qt between fish. Adding the year down and setup means I'm easier on the budget.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I missed quite the three hours! Thanks @Lost in the Sauce and @tbrown3589 for the discussion.

Some further considerations for Marshalls qt status: only one fish currently living in the display has made it through a quarantine. The rest were plopped in. The 40 did get a full course of ruby rally, so half the fish have been medicated with that. Coral dipped and inverts nothin. If there is a disease, and there could very well be, it's already in the tank. Qt at this point is a hedge. I was going to rally pro dip the fish from qt. But I could also treat the display now or after I add the"final" fish.

I have never heard of uranoma, so now I have something else to Google.

I also appreciate the discussion because I am aware of Jay's "current quarantine protocol" as best practice. And if anything short of that happens be prepared for any negative consequences. I'm not sure if the protocol touched on what to do with the tank after the fish leave.

Keeping media cycled isn't an issue. It'd probably speed up the fish buying if I did nothing to the qt between fish. Adding the year down and setup means I'm easier on the budget.
Uranoma isn't super common, but we should know what it looks like. There is no known fallow period for it. Once it's there, it's there.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can always tell when the Petco knows they've had a case of it because they swap the saltwater tanks for freshwater tanks. never get the crackhead chromis... (red in places that shouldn't be red)
GIF by Giphy QA

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always tell when the Petco knows they've had a case of it because they swap the saltwater tanks for freshwater tanks. never get the crackhead chromis... (red in places that shouldn't be red)
GIF by Giphy QA
That would be dramatic!

according to this copper treats it though....

I don't know the legitimacy of the source.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back