The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. New gadgets are fun. But if the company has to charge your credit card 2 months in advance of shipping the product, that’s pretty indicative of a company completely strapped for cash. If so, the only possible way for them to survive long term is constant new influx of customers buying their product. They haven’t allowed beta testers to share their experiences in advance of the initial sales. I can’t imagine a reason for that other than poor performance or bad management.

The Kickstarter for this product was 6 years ago and so poorly managed and delayed that they had to cancel it. I’m sure we’ll have a few months, if not another year or two to debate this product before they actually end up shipping anything.
Can you cancel an order withen a week of ordering?
It really is a standard practice with startups to charge in advance.
Not sure why this is such a big deal. Ppl who pay ate ppl who liked the product...are these people complaining?.what's the problem?
Genuinely asking..

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. New gadgets are fun. But if the company has to charge your credit card 2 months in advance of shipping the product, that’s pretty indicative of a company completely strapped for cash. If so, the only possible way for them to survive long term is constant new influx of customers buying their product. They haven’t allowed beta testers to share their experiences in advance of the initial sales. I can’t imagine a reason for that other than poor performance or bad management.

The Kickstarter for this product was 6 years ago and so poorly managed and delayed that they had to cancel it. I’m sure we’ll have a few months, if not another year or two to debate this product before they actually end up shipping anything.

Really? You’d put $420 at risk to save $60? I think I’d pay the $40/month for a few months at least.
When you buy trident, kh director, khg or any other equipment you are putting the price at risk before you really know how it works..no?

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy trident, kh director, khg or any other equipment you are putting the price at risk before you really know how it works..no?

Sure, but all of them come from companies that have successfully brought similar products to market and have existing revenue streams. This company is literally one unproven product being hastily rushed out the door.

Not sure why this is such a big deal. Ppl who pay ate ppl who liked the product...are these people complaining?.what's the problem?
Genuinely asking..

I mean, if they ordered it then there isn’t anything to discuss, but they literally posted this on a discussion board. Did they only want fan boys to come to the thread an pat them on the back?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but all of them come from companies that have successfully brought similar products to market and have existing revenue streams. This company is literally one unproven product being hastily rushed out the door.

I mean, if they ordered it then there isn’t anything to discuss, but they literally posted this on a discussion board. Did they only want fan boys to come to the thread an pat them on the back?
I get your points.. well, then we have to give them the benifit of the doubt. Even successful companies have screwd up products and customers...no shortage in bad products in the market paul.
Anyway, let's watch and learn and see where this product lead. It's fun times the industry is going through..
I will say again, these guys truly innovative and did something no one else have done yet, at the very least thay are making everyone else think...

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, thank you so much for pointing that out.
I copy paste your calculations to my phone but for some reason cannot find the original post...
Thank you!
Do you agree with the discussion thu? I do not see your calculation wrong, I actually see it conservative, if you go trident route it's not reasonable not to think you will need probs to get basic temp,salinity..etc.
And of we compare apple to.apple we even meed to add the O2 prob price to the trident route...

I don't agree or disagree with the discussion. People seem to look at spending money differently and how much trust they have in the companies they spend it with. I normally don't get involved with this type of discussion, but there were so many people being driven to look at this product and the company in a negative light that I decided to provide a counterpoint to all the negativity. I respect the opposing opinions and I do like that it makes me rethink my decisions. All good dialog!

I think my calculations are correct, but I'm known to make a few mistakes... Just ask my wife! ;)

I think the Triton is a great product, and as of a couple of weeks ago they appear to be having a successful launch. If I would have been lucky enough to have purchased one on the launch day, I wouldn't be here now and likely very content. I do have a significant investment in Neptune products and think they work well, but they're not perfect. I also not like the idea of having everything controlled by a single product. If your Apex base unit fails, you lose many of the items it's controlling until you can get it replaced. I know this because it happened to me twice. I know have a spare base unit, but it still takes hours to program because you still can't recover from a backup file. That's why I would rather have the MindStream to monitor the system outside the apex.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree or disagree with the discussion. People seem to look at spending money differently and how much trust they have in the companies they spend it with. I normally don't get involved with this type of discussion, but there were so many people being driven to look at this product and the company in a negative light that I decided to provide a counterpoint to all the negativity. I respect the opposing opinions and I do like that it makes me rethink my decisions. All good dialog!

I think my calculations are correct, but I'm known to make a few mistakes... Just ask my wife! ;)

I think the Triton is a great product, and as of a couple of weeks ago they appear to be having a successful launch. If I would have been lucky enough to have purchased one on the launch day, I wouldn't be here now and likely very content. I do have a significant investment in Neptune products and think they work well, but they're not perfect. I also not like the idea of having everything controlled by a single product. If your Apex base unit fails, you lose many of the items it's controlling until you can get it replaced. I know this because it happened to me twice. I know have a spare base unit, but it still takes hours to program because you still can't recover from a backup file. That's why I would rather have the MindStream to monitor the system outside the apex.
Well thought out thinking proccess.
Am on the same boat more or less, just waiting on the other testers thatbate coming out then will invest in a path.. for sure I want to add one of these automatons to my system, I like gadgets and use them to reduce my daily work.

I used to test alk twice a day ha ha. When I added my khg 3 years ago I felt I had so much free time I started looking for something else in the system to get me worried daily ha ha ha

Steve S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to using a Gyre flow pump. Any ideas on the preferable way to run this thing?? Constant speed, pulsing mode, random, or Gyre mode?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video from mainstream folks, look like they calibrate each disk then save the calibration data to be used when your disk is installed in you aquarium.
That explains why
1- they need to send you monthly l, they need to make sure they characterize the material on your disk for small impurities to get the accuracy and consistency going.
2- you have to have cloud component here, without knowing the calibration data of your disk results might not be ad accurate.
So their cloud save each disk calibration data which represent the exact property of the strips on each individual disk, then when disk is installed, the cloud link the disk and its reading to the calibration data in its database so it calculate the right measurment and account for impurities of each individual strip.

Super cool, really advanced I would say...

Last edited:

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video from mainstream folks, look like they calibrate each disk then save the calibration data to be used when your disk is installed in you aquarium.
That will explain why you have to have cloud component here, without knowing the calibration data of your disk results might not be ad accurate.
So their cloud save each disk calibration data which represent the exact property of the strips on each individual disk, then when disk is installed, the cloud link the disk and its reading to the calibration data in its database so it calculate the right measurment and account for impurities of each individual strip.

Super cool, really advanced I would say...

They could easily embed the calibration data on the disk using extremely old/cheap technology. The decision to use the cloud seems more like their version of DRM and helps make sure you are actively paying every 30 days so that they can insure their revenue stream...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could easily embed the calibration data on the disk using extremely old/cheap technology. The decision to use the cloud seems more like their version of DRM and helps make sure you are actively paying every 30 days so that they can insure their revenue stream...
not sure how can they do that..
The disk do not have memory or active component since its submerged in the water..
How can you save calibration data? Either on the device(disk) or in the cloud.

Same proccess happen on phones, tablets and many of the consumer electeomic devices..some times you save the data on device and some times in the cloud then you synch it..

Such calibration account for variation and impurities of each strip to yield accurate data...pretty cool

Last edited:

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure how can they do that..
The disk do not have memory or active component since its submerged in the water..
How can you save calibration data? Either on the device(disk) or in the cloud.

You don’t need memory on the disk. You could do it as easily and cheaply as punching a hole that corresponds with the calibration adjustment needed for each test.

And there must be something on the disk already. How does it know that you’ve just put in disk #xxxxxx and correspond that to the calibration that it “has” to download from the cloud?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need memory on the disk. You could do it as easily and cheaply as punching a hole that corresponds with the calibration adjustment needed for each test.

And there must be something on the disk already. How does it know that you’ve just put in disk #xxxxxx and correspond that to the calibration that it “has” to download from the cloud?
You are describing the synch mechanism that they do using rfid. Am taking about the calibration data itself..
This is data that you cannot store using using the method you described. Usually such calibration data will be at least 1kb to few 10's of kb depen on what they calibrate for...it need some sort of a rom sir...
Synching the data to a specific disk can be done ad you described though they do it more advanced via RFID.
Data needed to be stored in the cloud, if you agree this means cloud component is needed.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw this also tells me that their cloud fees is not trivial. They are pushing hug ammount of data from your tank to the cloud. They pay fees on how luch data they push back and forth to the cloud. More reasons for me to believe that the monthly payment is more than fair..

U

User1

View Badges
I know have a spare base unit, but it still takes hours to program because you still can't recover from a backup file. That's why I would rather have the MindStream to monitor the system outside the apex.

I thought if you login to the local network apex under misc there is a save configuration.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are describing the synch mechanism that they do using rfid. Am taking about the calibration data itself..
This is data that you cannot store using using the method you described. Usually such calibration data will be at least 1kb to few 10's of kb depen on what they calibrate for...it need some sort of a rom sir...
Synching the data to a specific disk can be done ad you described though they do it more advanced via RFID.
Data needed to be stored in the cloud, if you agree this means cloud component is needed.

What? They use RFID on the disks! There is more than enough space there to save all the calibration data then. It’s only 10 numbers.

Btw this also tells me that their cloud fees is not trivial. They are pushing hug ammount of data from your tank to the cloud. They pay fees on how luch data they push back and forth to the cloud. More reasons for me to believe that the monthly payment is more than fair..

Huh? It’s only numbers. Yes, it’s a lot of numbers, but that’s and insanely small amount of data. Pennies per month per user on AWS. Pennies.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought if you login to the local network apex under misc there is a save configuration.
The last time I checked, you can only save the configuration to a text file, and not a configuration file. This text file will allow you to copy-and-past the programming for each device (ect) one at a time to restore the device. To my knowledge, there is no way to save a config file to restore the whole setup in one operation. If you can point me to a new feature I'm unaware of that would be great, but I just did a Google search again and didn't find anything.

As you suggested, I just attempted to log in local and do your recommendation. When I attempt to save the config file it prompts me for my user id and password. When I reenter it, it just fails. I did find a post from last year indicating others had the same issue, but nobody reported a resolution.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? They use RFID on the disks! There is more than enough space there to save all the calibration data then. It’s only 10 numbers.

Huh? It’s only numbers. Yes, it’s a lot of numbers, but that’s and insanely small amount of data. Pennies per month per user on AWS. Pennies.
No Paul it cannot be 10 digits. Each strip will have some informstions associated with it and need to be saved...am guessing the property of that specific strip, this information cannot be stored as one 0 and one 1. Each calibration data will be represented with a string of 0 and 1s:))...
That's what I think otherwise we will have to agree to disagree here.

For fees it adds up paul.

Let's assume Penny's an example, x-penny a paramaters a day X 10(paramaters) X 30(day) X customers)+ cost of the disk itself+packaging and shipping+resources for the logistics of shipping and coordinating...it adds up..

Also what I think and we can agree to disagree.
Being from this domain I have great appreciation to what these guys are doing still...

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
The last time I checked, you can only save the configuration to a text file, and not a configuration file. This text file will allow you to copy-and-past the programming for each device (ect) one at a time to restore the device. To my knowledge, there is no way to save a config file to restore the whole setup in one operation. If you can point me to a new feature I'm unaware of that would be great, but I just did a Google search again and didn't find anything.

As you suggested, I just attempted to log in local and do your recommendation. When I attempt to save the config file it prompts me for my user id and password. When I reenter it, it just fails. I did find a post from last year indicating others had the same issue, but nobody reported a resolution.

It saves a .bin file that you can later load. Try admin / 1234

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you do for a living?

Back