According to post #109 the idea that the disk needs to be replaced due to algae growth is not true. I can't vouch for the extensive marketing research since I wasn't asked, ;) but I guess they need to ensure it's accurate otherwise people would complain about it being wrong and damage their reputation. I'm personally OK with the subscription service, I just don't like the idea of being locked out or the unit stops at 30 days. I've asked Tech Support some detailed question about how this will work and will update everyone here if/when they reply.
We saw that there were some questions about the discs and the subscription model: the monthly subscription pays for real-time access to your monitor data, helpful graphs and tools, proactive alerts when your values are out of range, a monthly replacement sensor disc, access to knowledgeable customer support, and for the cloud computing service that takes raw readings from the monitor and turns them into a continuous feed of information for each measure. Using our web app, you can see your readings at any time from a computer or mobile device. Discs need to be replaced each month not because of algae growth, but to ensure that the highest quality readings are acquired by the monitor with no user calibration required. We have adopted the subscription model because our extensive market research has indicated the majority of our prospective customers prefer the convenience of a monthly or annual subscription along with automatic disc shipments.