- Joined
- Oct 6, 2007
- Messages
- 260
- Reaction score
- 156
Accuracy and reliability are my major concerns for this device.I really hope it’s accurate and reliable.
Dave
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Accuracy and reliability are my major concerns for this device.I really hope it’s accurate and reliable.
Dave
I think this is the point. There are so many snake oil, scams, over promising, inaccurate and unreliable product for this hobby.Are you trying to save others from making a perceived mistake?
Yes. I agree. I did a similar analysis comparing mmindstream and apex trident 2 issues with mindstream. 1. Though it measures 10 parameters some of them I am not sure if I would use. Second you can’t control stuff with the product. Yet. I as already stated don’t use my apex for control and find the probes etc lacking. So this seema to be a great idea for monitoring. I would take it every Time over apex trident@MnFish1
Did you have any comments on the calculations? Would love to know what you think:
This is referring to a 4-5 years model earlier user and resonated with me(with some modification I did to make it apple to apple and more comparable to me personally). Pleade correct any wrong data you see here...
Mindstream would cost ~$2677. 10 paramaters testing and monitoring
Neptune based cost ~2700~$3500. Testing 7 paramaters.
Am trying to do similar calculation to xepta and ghl but some of the prices are not known yet so calculation will be missing. But what I know is in the details
Details:
MindStream
Base Unit Cost = $1,000
Service - Every five years = $0
Subscription Disk = $34.95 per month or $1677 for four years
Four Year Total Cost = $2,677
Neptune Trident
Trident Base Unit Cost = $600
Apex package= 800$ this come with 3 probs only
Apex head without probs=400$
Apex o2 prob+module=775$
Service - every 18-24 months is less than $100 for a self-service kit or $150-$200 for a factory job. = Self service $200 - Factory $300 to $400
Reagents for four years = $1080 (I confirmed the calibration standard ships with the reagents so you should recalibrate every two months according to Neptune's FAQ)
Four Year Total Cost ~ $27000 to $3500 without counting for the yearly maintenance for trident that is another adder.
GHL:
Profilux package=$1000 thinks comparable to apex package but has more functionalities..
Profilux basic=$800 this give you way more than apex head alone
Khd= $800
Iod director=??
Ion probs cost=??
Xepta:
My understanding this package that will test and dose is around 1300 to 1400$.
Probs and reagent cost=??
I agree with MnFish - For me, it's not MS vs. Neptune. I'm going to pick the best tool for the job and provide extra redundancy if possible. Getting past the initial cost, I'm happy to pay $35 per month to have an electronic petsitter check, report, and alert on 10 water parameters ever 15 minutes 24X7X365.Yes. I agree. I did a similar analysis comparing mmindstream and apex trident 2 issues with mindstream. 1. Though it measures 10 parameters some of them I am not sure if I would use. Second you can’t control stuff with the product. Yet. I as already stated don’t use my apex for control and find the probes etc lacking. So this seema to be a great idea for monitoring. I would take it every Time over apex trident
Agreed as well,I agree with MnFish - For me, it's not MS vs. Neptune. I'm going to pick the best tool for the job and provide extra redundancy if possible. Getting past the initial cost, I'm happy to pay $35 per month to have an electronic petsitter check, report, and alert on 10 water parameters ever 15 minutes 24X7X365.
I think if the product proved to be successful they can either partner with a doser or add their own, dosers are such a commodity building one should not be a challenge.I'm very excited about this product. When I first switched to salt water earlier this year, I tried super hard to buy it on impulse. Then I realized it hadn't come to market yet. Now that I have testing under my belt, I don't feel like it is super important, but is on the list of things to get eventually. That being said, the moment it has any kind of dosing connection, this product will move to the top of my wishlist.
I wonder, if you have multiple tanks and get multiple devices, is the subscription fee multiplied for each device, or is there some lower cost since *hopefully* the data would all be held in the same account and the discs would be shipped together?
I´m not so sure of this. I have been working with the old types of ion selective probes based on electrical measurements (pH and clark´s electrodes (the most common oxygen probe) are all ion selective probes, Redox and conductivity probes measure differences in potential and conductivity) Probes that measure the potential from different ions like Ca, Mg, NO3 and others is very difficult to work with and more or less need laboratory environment. The new type of measure different ions and gases in water is IMO based on other principles, probably light and fluorescence from different dyes. I think - that technically - the MS and the other (GHL and Coral Value) is rather similar in function. And it is the future and will sooner or later compete out other methods both in reliability, repeatability and pricingIt's an electrical prob..
This is both good and bad :) Good - because it measure the real Carbonate alkalinity (that´s of interest for us because it tell us how much HCO3 and CO3 ions we have) The bad is that we have to rethinking and change our reference tools according to levels of alkalinity. If we normally have said that 7 dKH is good enough - the real Carbonate alkalinity maybe only is 6.6 or so.But the Alkatronic measured Total Alkalinity and the Mindstream measures Carobate Alkalinity. So these values should not be the same.
Regarding data logging export, from what I've read recently, Apex Fusion/Triton does not allow it and neither does the GHL solution.
What would you find the use for o2 and co2? Curious because I’m really interested in thisIt took time to read through this thread with a lot of information and maybe more no-information where - as I understand - a sponsor was insulted and more or less accused for being a fraud company
Into the real world of measurements
I´m not so sure of this. I have been working with the old types of ion selective probes based on electrical measurements (pH and clark´s electrodes (the most common oxygen probe) are all ion selective probes, Redox and conductivity probes measure differences in potential and conductivity) Probes that measure the potential from different ions like Ca, Mg, NO3 and others is very difficult to work with and more or less need laboratory environment. The new type of measure different ions and gases in water is IMO based on other principles, probably light and fluorescence from different dyes. I think - that technically - the MS and the other (GHL and Coral Value) is rather similar in function. And it is the future and will sooner or later compete out other methods both in reliability, repeatability and pricing
This is both good and bad :) Good - because it measure the real Carbonate alkalinity (that´s of interest for us because it tell us how much HCO3 and CO3 ions we have) The bad is that we have to rethinking and change our reference tools according to levels of alkalinity. If we normally have said that 7 dKH is good enough - the real Carbonate alkalinity maybe only is 6.6 or so.
I love that MS can measure O2 and CO2 - Two parameters that are undervalued in reefing IMO.
Sincerely Lasse
Co2 will give insights about your ph when its low or high..What would you find the use for o2 and co2? Curious because I’m really interested in this
Thanks for the insight I am still trying to learn about these ion probs. Although I do not think its light based. I think they are made of gold continously measure the property which change against water chemistryIt took time to read through this thread with a lot of information and maybe more no-information where - as I understand - a sponsor was insulted and more or less accused for being a fraud company
Into the real world of measurements
I´m not so sure of this. I have been working with the old types of ion selective probes based on electrical measurements (pH and clark´s electrodes (the most common oxygen probe) are all ion selective probes, Redox and conductivity probes measure differences in potential and conductivity) Probes that measure the potential from different ions like Ca, Mg, NO3 and others is very difficult to work with and more or less need laboratory environment. The new type of measure different ions and gases in water is IMO based on other principles, probably light and fluorescence from different dyes. I think - that technically - the MS and the other (GHL and Coral Value) is rather similar in function. And it is the future and will sooner or later compete out other methods both in reliability, repeatability and pricing
This is both good and bad :) Good - because it measure the real Carbonate alkalinity (that´s of interest for us because it tell us how much HCO3 and CO3 ions we have) The bad is that we have to rethinking and change our reference tools according to levels of alkalinity. If we normally have said that 7 dKH is good enough - the real Carbonate alkalinity maybe only is 6.6 or so.
I love that MS can measure O2 and CO2 - Two parameters that are undervalued in reefing IMO.
Sincerely Lasse
:) contain gold doesn't not neccesarily mean expensiveIt is not a technic I know anything about. According to the video - the replacement probes would be in the $20 range - do not sounds like gold for me :)
Sincerely Lasse
FWIW looking over the checkout procedures and billing procedures on the mindstream site. It says in the terms and conditions that 20% is due upon preorder and the remainder is charged when the unit is shipped. Unless I’m misreading.
Useful clarification thank you for sharing.I'm not really interested in joining this 'discussion' in this thread, but this is just flat out wrong. The section on their terms and conditions that you are referencing starts out with the sentence "Subscriptions may be made available for pre-order via the Services." I have no idea why someone would pre-order a service, but this section of their TOS clearly applies to services that you would add via their online portal in the future.
I assumed that you'd argue with it, because that's what you do, so I simply logged onto Facebook and asked the question of the company itself via PM. They confirmed that if you buy a mindstream now, you will be immediately charged the full purchase price even though the product will not be shipped for some time. FWIW, they said the initial orders may ship early but that they were being conservative.
I'm not really interested in joining this 'discussion' in this thread, but this is just flat out wrong. The section on their terms and conditions that you are referencing starts out with the sentence "Subscriptions may be made available for pre-order via the Services." I have no idea why someone would pre-order a service, but this section of their TOS clearly applies to services that you would add via their online portal in the future.
I assumed that you'd argue with it, because that's what you do, so I simply logged onto Facebook and asked the question of the company itself via PM. They confirmed that if you buy a mindstream now, you will be immediately charged the full purchase price even though the product will not be shipped for some time. FWIW, they said the initial orders may ship early but that they were being conservative.