The misrepresentation is astounding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as exotic euphyllia. Too abundant, too easy to get (no matter what variant or what you call it. A quick eBay brouse will net 90% of these name brand torches).
Its still better than exotic acros where even when it is what they say it is 90% of reefers can't maintain the color or grow out their $600 an inch freshly cut frag.

FriedReef TV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the cost of coral right now is completely ridiculous but in this hobby so many people just want to make money and post pictures on instagram of their $30,000 windex tanks. nothing wrong with having a nice tank or coral but if more people truly cared about the hobby, coral propagation and preserving our dying reefs they wouldnt been charging frickin $100 a polyp most people cant afford that kind of thing

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the "idiot" that pays "ridiculous" prices for torches.

Here's a quick story:

I bought a single head of a Holy Grail torch, about a year ago, for $900.

Over time it grew and just last week I sold a head of it....for $900.

Now I have the Holy Grail torch and I have my $900.

I am an idiot. Probably greedy too...

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as exotic euphyllia. Too abundant, too easy to get (no matter what variant or what you call it. A quick eBay brouse will net 90% of these name brand torches).
I mean, unless you live where they grow, most corals you can buy are exotic.

Hell, bananas are exotic and you can buy them in every supermarket

This entire hobby is focused around keeping exotic pets

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a simple supply-demand relation. problem is that we have too many idiots with money to waste.
its common in all 'hobbies'
on Saturday I saw someone calling a $3000 GPU a great deal as it was on $170 discount. one step lower GPU (around 20% slower) is selling for $800.
companies like apple will go out of business if people start using common sense.
Well said... in the case of corals, (me included) it could be lack of knowledge and experience.... we don't know any better. How can the reefers (especially beginners) be better educated?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said... in the case of corals, (me included) it could be lack of knowledge and experience.... we don't know any better. How can the reefers (especially beginners) be better educated?
Don't buy things that are hyped currently. Don't watch youtube videos of the latest and greatest haul of some personality. If at all possible, don't shop online, go to a LFS, point at a pretty thing, and ask what species it is and what it costs. If you are shopping online, go for shops that say Euphyllia glabrescens, $30. Not shops that say Burning superstar Chaos explosion whatever torch, $999 (If someone actually starts using that name for a torch, i want royalties, lol).

And then when you are used to those prices, maybe in 5 years look for that super hyped thing that everyone wanted and has more frags than they can sell now.

BrianKav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a two head torch (UK) for £60 or $84.40 a absolute bargain compared to US prices, however a 1.5CM favite frag was £25. Can the forum let me know if the video worked P.S. the voice in the background is Cary Grant movie.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail too much, but are any of you deep into other hobbies?

I play a card game that have a small pieces of cardboard that goes for thousands and thousands. It is the same cardboard as the $1 card, though. It just happens to have a different picture and is a far more desired card. And people buy these $$ cards all day long. I watched one go for over 8k this week.

Probably a less "good" comparison, but: That classic car that your grampa drove off the lot for $1,000 is now, well, a lot more. Harder to come by, people want it, and no more are being made (not relevant in our hobby?).

Seems like this is the case in nearly every hobby. I can probably think of an example for a good 75% of hobbies out there.

This torch and that torch are the same thing. But they look a bit different. If a specific few are vastly more sought after, why would their prices NOT be higher? My friend has a torch he paid $300 for and it absolutely blows my two 50/100 or so torches away. He regrets nothing.

All this talk about torches, but aren't most corals this way, though? Zoas and acros are the ones that stick out to me the most. An easy example would be between Pandora zoas and something like AOIs. Pandoras are a dime a dozen, grow dumb fast, and ugly as sin. The AOIs are a bit harder to come by at times, grow a bit slower, and look WAY better (opinion based comparisons here). So, it would make sense that the Pandoras are pennies and the AOIs bring in a higher price tag. (I realize that AOIs aren't the $500+ zoas that some mentioned, just first example that came to my head)

Now... with that being said. I would definitely like it if prices dropped, but I can also understand why "some" prices are where they are. People want them and people are buying them. Sucks for those reefers that don't have the desire or ability to throw that much money at what they want, though (legit, not being sarcastic here).

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a two head torch (UK) for £60 or $84.40 a absolute bargain compared to US prices, however a 1.5CM favite frag was £25. Can the forum let me know if the video worked P.S. the voice in the background is Cary Grant movie.
Yup the video work.. you have a beautiful piece there.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touches grow fairly quickly and are easy to keep, unlike some SPS. So the prices should be coming down. Personally I don't even find the fancy tourches as attractive as so called plain ones.
They actually are really slow growing and can just die for no reason bacterial infections or whatever sps grows alot faster and really isn't harder to keep tidal gardens did a video of why they don't farm torches and its pretty much what I just said

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have beautiful torches. They are large and healthy.
I would never sell them as anything other than a regular torch if I were to ever sell but let me ask...

How much would YOU pay for these?
20210220_104231.jpg
20210220_104231(0).jpg
20210220_104229(0).jpg
20210220_104226.jpg

By the way...
I'm NOT selling!
My reef is for my enjoyment. It's not a bank card.
Not going to make an offer... and dont think i can afford it but i should say... it is such a beautiful pieces.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, unless you live where they grow, most corals you can buy are exotic.

Hell, bananas are exotic and you can buy them in every supermarket

This entire hobby is focused around keeping exotic pets
Well if you want to play samantics sure. All I'm saying is every time I go to my local reef stores (which there are half a dozen) if they don't have anything else they have euphyllia and the range of euphyllia colors don't vary like acros and zoas. Takes very little to maintain them. Even a novice can buy an "exotic" euphyllia and grow heads or a monster head. Its the first coral I ever had 15 years ago, I knew virtually nothing, it grew and grew. I see WAY more now than then and they were cheap then. How exotic can they be. Every beginner wants a cheap, wavy in the flow, coral that's easy to keep. Euphyllia is about #1 for that.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the point of this post is, prices should be based on colors and rarity. Not names. In the end it’s about how it looks not what seller or where you bought it, not the price you paid it’s about how it looks. And if something is in limited quantity or it is harder to keep it’s gonna cost more... I feel like this is basic economics...

I’m sure some people buy because of Other reasons simply because they can, but some prices are reflective on rarity, growth rates, and ultimately how they look. I’m not big on the whole naming thing but I definitely price my items that I sell based on those fundamental characteristics.

Worth mentioning, if you pay $200 for something, and it doubles, you frag it and sell half, you’d expect someone else to pay the same price you did if the market had no shifts. Hence why keeping tabs on current prices and intake is important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back