The most important tools for fragging corals are...?

Do you have a specific set of "tools" dedicated for fragging corals?

• YES

Votes: 212 67.3%
  • NO

Votes: 94 29.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing our weekly theme of coral fragging, frag tanks etc. I have another related question for you today! When it comes to fragging tools what are the most important to have? I have my own list and my own thoughts but I'll hold off for now. I suspect we all will have a pretty similar top three or five but that's why these questions are so interesting, you never know and you can always learn something!

What would you say are the most important tools to have on hand for fragging corals?

IMG_0506.JPG
Rusty, is the lord of all frag tools.
And has been my friend through many tanks...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to frag my Duncan coral. I believe it’s dying. Can anyone advise what I should get for this?!
Depends on what you think is making it die? IF it has BJD you need to treat it with antibiotics See this thread!

If it needs more light then fragging will only help if you move the frags towards the light or get a better light.

They are fairly simple to snap by hand on a large colony, or use garden sharp pruners to trim well below the flesh on dead skeleton if there is any. Otherwise, right through the healty stem, parallel to the the face of the coral.

A hack saw, or similar saw will also work. This isn't rocket science, you just want to snap the bone to seperate one head from the rest and glue the head to the rock work or onto a frag plug.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gryphon frag saw - makes cutting off frag plugs a breeze, and many other fragging tasks that can be more risky with bone cutters and brute force. Or maybe I'm just not as good with bone cutters as some others, LOL.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing our weekly theme of coral fragging, frag tanks etc. I have another related question for you today! When it comes to fragging tools what are the most important to have? I have my own list and my own thoughts but I'll hold off for now. I suspect we all will have a pretty similar top three or five but that's why these questions are so interesting, you never know and you can always learn something!

What would you say are the most important tools to have on hand for fragging corals?

DSC_0021_zps1303baac.jpg
#Sponsored :loudly-crying-face:

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tile nipper and an endless supply of old side cutters that have done the job. Crude and not anti-corrosion, the proper tools are what I forget about when I'm at the store. I keep meaning to buy a proper spring loaded stainless cutter.

CoralsAnonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most day fragging, bone cutters / shears have actually worked pretty well for us and very cost effective. We have the Gryphons for heavy duty stuff. Maintenance is key here and making sure the equipment is dry and well loved at the end of the day.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really frag (purposely) yet but I have the cutters for removing plugs, and a wrench like tool for unscrewing the ends of my gel glue when the tips are plugged and a big pair of pliers--both swiped from hubbies tool box haha. And rubble rock to glue broken pcs of corals onto. very basic.
Susan - the wrench like tool is what I always forget until I have the frag cut and I can't get the glue container open. I should add a small pair of pliers to the kit.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never cut a frag, but it sounds like you would want safety glasses?

My wife calls me Captain Safety... How embarrassing.
Depending on which coral you definitely need gloves and glasses.
For example you’d want gloves/glasses with fragging Zoas and Palys as some of them contain Palytoxin which can be dangerous if it gets into an open wound.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back