The most important tools for fragging corals are...?

Do you have a specific set of "tools" dedicated for fragging corals?

• YES

Votes: 212 67.3%
  • NO

Votes: 94 29.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Continuing our weekly theme of coral fragging, frag tanks etc. I have another related question for you today! When it comes to fragging tools what are the most important to have? I have my own list and my own thoughts but I'll hold off for now. I suspect we all will have a pretty similar top three or five but that's why these questions are so interesting, you never know and you can always learn something!

What would you say are the most important tools to have on hand for fragging corals?

DSC_0021_zps1303baac.jpg

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at fragging like pruning a garden, it is really no different IMHO. Reefers are going to trim the corals down to keep the tank going as needed. We might as well share in the growth and offer the frags out rather than putting them in the trash or throwing them back in the ocean for the people that live near one.

LOL, I just realized this is not the right thread. so I will add I dont have a set of tools yet, but as the tank grows so will my tool collection.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really frag (purposely) yet but I have the cutters for removing plugs, and a wrench like tool for unscrewing the ends of my gel glue when the tips are plugged and a big pair of pliers--both swiped from hubbies tool box haha. And rubble rock to glue broken pcs of corals onto. very basic.

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still early into the hobby (< 1 year) but just yesterday needed to frag my first coral, a softy, and am looking at possibly fragging a zoa and found myself looking around for tools. For the softies, I just grabbed a tiny pair of scissors I had around the house meant for cutting thread when you're sewing and they worked great.

When I buy corals and need to cut off the stem of the plug I usually just grab a pair of side cutters and they work great.

I'd really like to find a good set of dedicated tools and figure out which plugs (brand, size, variety, etc) to have on hand as my corals keep growing out.

abet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to frag my Duncan coral. I believe it’s dying. Can anyone advise what I should get for this?!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to frag my Duncan coral. I believe it’s dying. Can anyone advise what I should get for this?!
I think you could use a clean saw however I haven’t fragged my own coral (on purpose).

Tomsimtim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still early into the hobby (< 1 year) but just yesterday needed to frag my first coral, a softy, and am looking at possibly fragging a zoa and found myself looking around for tools. For the softies, I just grabbed a tiny pair of scissors I had around the house meant for cutting thread when you're sewing and they worked great.

When I buy corals and need to cut off the stem of the plug I usually just grab a pair of side cutters and they work great.

I'd really like to find a good set of dedicated tools and figure out which plugs (brand, size, variety, etc) to have on hand as my corals keep growing out.
Make sure you wear gloves when fragging you're Zoas. The have a powerful neurotoxin in them that will leave you numb anywhere you touch your body with the ooze from the Zoo!

Be mindful not to wipe your brow!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the most important thing you need for fragging corals is corals. It's quite the challenge without them.
I’ll raise you one, Hands….boom. P.S. I came here with the same mission as you Peter):rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back