The most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX

Top 3 most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX?

• Cost

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • How clean it mixes

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • The Chemistry (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium etc.)

Votes: 351 70.9%
  • How available it is to you

Votes: 184 37.2%
  • How your livestock responds to it

Votes: 197 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 2, 3, and 6.

2. I like a clean mix. Pharmaceutical grade ingredients appeal to me.

3. The salt I use is fairly close to where I like to keep my parameters. The calcium is a little low, but I make up for that with auto-dosing.

6. As someone has already mentioned, longevity is important to me. Some salts don't keep as well as others over time. With trial and error, I've found a salt that stores very well for a month+. I'm sure it has something to do with the pharmaceutical ingredients. With the AWC system, it's probably the most important factor for me.

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Tropic Marin since day 1. At first, no real reason, just because it was the first brand I read about that said "pharmaceutical grade" to me that speaks volumes about the quality. Since that first purchase, all my trace elements have been TM because when you watch any of the reef dudes lives with Lou Ekus (Tropic Marin CEO) you can see how passionate a reefer ye is and how much he wants TM to be the best. They have scientists researching and improving their products all the time and nothing will touch the shelves unless it's as clean and pure as they can get it.
I've always had great coral and fish health and firmly believe it is down to TM products.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 1, 4, and 6. I use Instant Ocean and have since the 1990s. 1. It is the most economical choice of prepared salt mixes that I know of. 4. It is readily available with free shipping from both Chewy and Amazon right to my door. 6. It has been around for decades and is proven to be consistent and reliable. Many of the big public Aquariums trust it. Finally it is easy to tweak with additives. My aquarium is a high nutrient macro algae system so I do not want high calcium and alkalinity. I prefer not to have a lot of Coraline algae covering my pumps and glass that needs to be cleaned off. I add iron and a little magnesium to my water change water to tailor the mixture for my tank and this has worked well for me.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 and 3, quality over quantity are definitely my mantra. I relied on my LFS for saltwater, one used sea water - but since switching to Tropic Marin, I’ve really noticed a huge difference in my corals. I’m also a Nano owner, so water changes are already cost effective and I don’t mint forking over a couple extra dollars for the “high-end” products.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I came into the hobby, my primary objective in choosing salt was which one would provide the most diverse range of nutrients and trace-elements. I figured anything I added would have what it needs.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using IO or Reef Crystals on sps tanks, what do you do about the higher alk it mixes to? I’d love to save the money but had concerns about the alkalinity thing…
I make 30 gallon brute containers at a time. I add a teaspoon of Seachem acid buffer and aerate with a power head at the surface to restore the PH. 24 hrs later I'm good to go. Frankly I don't see an issue with it, readily available and used my major facilities. I guess the mentality of ' If it cost more it MUST be better' rules. Next thing you know people will be carrying their 'Designer' salt buckets like a Prada, Chanel, or Loui bag?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1&4. When I started I used Red Sea around 2004, but I changed it because it was so criticized, so since then I have used IO, I only used Tropic Marin for a while and is that it's the best salt I have tried, however the cost and availability are two problems, that's why I'm going with IO, does anyone know why Red Sea was considered a lousy salt back then?

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost for me. I doubt there is any significant difference in salt mixes from on e supplier to another.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me 1-Cost,2=clarity,3 -Chemistry

Personally I've used the cheapest salt that mixed up clear for me for over 35 years which was plain Instant Ocean. I used Reef Crystals only because they shipped me the wrong salt when I usually order 10-12 200g boxes at a time and didn't like the clay chelator they have in it that turned my mixing station and my plumbing brown. Currently I am using Live Aquaria salt which I heard is basically the same as Fritz Blue(???)
Either way I am supplementing my tanks via a Calcium Reactor, 2-Part (as backup), Kalkwasser, and DIY trace elements. Recently I am experimenting with driving my pH around 8.5 and have been able to shut down my CaRx to try to get it to settle back down to 8.75dkH from 10 dkH.

I don't do a lot of water changes since my system is 510g with 7 tanks plumbed together. Just small 15 gallons when I vacuum my gravel.

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2, 3 and 6. For years I purchased my salt water from a LFS, schlepping up there once a month to get a month's supply at a time. Then I discovered that the salt brand the LFS used didn't really last for one month - the alk and ca would change over time.

So I then found a salt brand that would be mix up quickly and remain stable over time. I bought the necessary equipment and set up my own mixing station. Now I make a month's worth of RODI and salt water at a time at home.

This was the best reef decision I've made! The tank's parameters are much more stable and the corals seem happier! (And no more red crud in my salt water jugs!)

stevenfreeves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 2, 3, and 6.

2. I like a clean mix. Pharmaceutical grade ingredients appeal to me.

3. The salt I use is fairly close to where I like to keep my parameters. The calcium is a little low, but I make up for that with auto-dosing.

6. As someone has already mentioned, longevity is important to me. Some salts don't keep as well as others over time. With trial and error, I've found a salt that stores very well for a month+. I'm sure it has something to do with the pharmaceutical ingredients. With the AWC system, it's probably the most important factor for me.
2 and 3 for me. and I like Tropic Marin Pro reef salt mix the best. it seems to mix very clean and fast and has very consistent chemical makup.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency for me. The rest does not matter, although what I do use is cheap, so maybe that would change if I paid more.

I can make the salt the way that I like it with some acid and calcium chloride, so parameters don't matter at all to me.

It amazes me the lengths that people will go through for lots of things in this hobby, yet most do not want to take a one-time 10-15 minutes to figure out how to doctor up their salt mix to be perfect for them. The application after this is less than a minute each time. This is not hard. This is one of the most basic foundational things in the hobby and most cannot be bothered with it.
As a new reefer, I've never heard of doctoring your salt mix. What do you add to affect what parameters? I tend to have low alkalinity even though I use a high alk mix. I was going to dose alkalinity, but it might make more sense to add it to the mix beforehand.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to do 75% water change/week in my 150 gallon tank if I did not dose, so if I'm going to dose anyway, why bother so much with emphasis on alk, mag, cal...
people love spending on this hobby, I try to save it for the corals. to each their own.

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can find a 5 gallon bucket of instant ocean on sale at petco after discounts for 25$. Just bought a 2 year supply, 12, 5 gallon buckets. That is 3 times cheaper than the next cheapest option and thousands of successful tanks come from instant ocean. Mixes clear fast. I have a 235 gallon tank, there is no other option.
How long do you usually keep your mixed water in storage for before you consider it “no good”? I am using Red Sea on my 40B and the parameters go out of wack if I tried mixing up a full monthly batch and doing AWC with it. Just got my first 225 and want to make monthly batches using instant since it’s so easy to find in my area.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back