The most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX

Top 3 most important variables that guides you into choosing the right SALT MIX?

• Cost

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • How clean it mixes

Votes: 215 43.4%
  • The Chemistry (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium etc.)

Votes: 351 70.9%
  • How available it is to you

Votes: 184 37.2%
  • How your livestock responds to it

Votes: 197 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new reefer, I've never heard of doctoring your salt mix. What do you add to affect what parameters? I tend to have low alkalinity even though I use a high alk mix. I was going to dose alkalinity, but it might make more sense to add it to the mix beforehand.

It does not make sense if you already have a high alk mix. Driving it too high leads to precipitation of calcium carbonate.

IMO, more people lower the alk in salt mixes than raise it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. I like a clean mix. Pharmaceutical grade ingredients appeal to me.

Does pharmaceutical grade ingredients make a clean mix? I'm skeptical since I do not think the bulk of sediment that seems to bother people relates to impurities.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything mixes clean with a $2 sediment filter. Mix of IO and RC here. Crystal clear, 0 residue in barrel.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you usually keep your mixed water in storage for before you consider it “no good”? I am using Red Sea on my 40B and the parameters go out of wack if I tried mixing up a full monthly batch and doing AWC with it. Just got my first 225 and want to make monthly batches using instant since it’s so easy to find in my area.
I leave a 45 gallon trash can of salt water 2 weeks before it is used. But I don't test the parameters so I can't say how well they hold up.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does pharmaceutical grade ingredients make a clean mix? I'm skeptical since I do not think the bulk of sediment that seems to bother people relates to impurities.
I couldn't really say for sure. I have noticed MUCH less residue in my container and on my powerhead, and no film on top of my stored SW or unpleasant odor after extended storage since I switched.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not make sense if you already have a high alk mix. Driving it too high leads to precipitation of calcium carbonate.

IMO, more people lower the alk in salt mixes than raise it.
I'm using a high alk mix, but my alk is consistently around 7. I'm using a Hamnah checker to test. I use RODI water and mix my salt to 1.026. All the other parameters are fine, but alk is always low in the tank. When I test the freshly made saltwater, its at 8.2, which is lower than the mix advertises. My corals look happy rhough, so I'm not sure I should mess with it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't really say for sure. I have noticed MUCH less residue in my container and on my powerhead, and no film on top of my stored SW or unpleasant odor after extended storage since I switched.

IMO, there are two precipitates in salt mixes:

1. Calcium carbonate from high alk mixes like Red Sea Coral Pro or normal IO. This precipitate never forms if the alk is lowered in the salt mix.

2. Reef Crystals is a special case with a different precipitate (a brown grunge) and also is one of the few that contain vitamins and metal chelators. I think those cause the grudge, not impurities, but I cannot prove it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a high alk mix, but my alk is consistently around 7. I'm using a Hamnah checker to test. I use RODI water and mix my salt to 1.026. All the other parameters are fine, but alk is always low in the tank. When I test the freshly made saltwater, its at 8.2, which is lower than the mix advertises. My corals look happy rhough, so I'm not sure I should mess with it.

Rarely does adding alk to a salt mix make sense. Just add that same alk to the aquarium if it needs it.

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the 206 votes so far on "mixing clean".

Why do folks care so much what residue gets left in the mixing barrel?

This has perplexed me for years.
As I mentioned before, I always seemed to have this red crud left over in my salt water containers when I purchased such from my LFS. I was told that this wouldn't present a problem to my tank water changes, but that just didn't seem right. I go to the trouble of getting this ultra-purified water that's used to make salt water and then this red crud doesn't make a difference? It's just hard for me to believe.

When I started making my salt water at home I wanted to make sure that it was as clean as possible- no red crud after storage, nor deposits on the mixing container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned before, I always seemed to have this red crud left over in my salt water containers when I purchased such from my LFS. I was told that this wouldn't present a problem to my tank water changes, but that just didn't seem right. I go to the trouble of getting this ultra-purified water that's used to make salt water and then this red crud doesn't make a difference? It's just hard for me to believe.

When I started making my salt water at home I wanted to make sure that it was as clean as possible- no red crud after storage, nor deposits on the mixing container.

Assuming you are talking about using Reef Crystals, it makes sense to me.

You assume the grunge is something bad or an undesirable chemical impurity. I think it is just the vitamins they add to reef Crystals, or bacteria eating them, or both. Not really a concern, IMO. Also not useful, IMO, but not an aquarium problem that anyone has ever plausibly suggested or shown.

The things you want to purify out of tap water (copper and maybe other metals, silicate, phosphate, nitrate) are a clear concern.

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are talking about using Reef Crystals, it makes sense to me.

You assume the grunge is something bad or an undesirable chemical impurity. I think it is just the vitamins they add to reef Crystals, or bacteria eating them, or both. Not really a concern, IMO. Also not useful, IMO, but not an aquarium problem that anyone has ever plausibly suggested or shown.

The things you want to purify out of tap water (copper and maybe other metals, silicate, phosphate, nitrate) are a clear concern.

Just an fyi - the lfs said that they use RS Coral Pro for mixing their salt. And even if the red crud doesn't produce any problems for the tank chemically, it did produce problems visually.

The red crud eventually started flaking off in the carrying jugs and got poured into the sump. I don't keep my sump in pristine shape, but adding crud to it was counterintuitive. Plus, I would sometimes see some small red flakes in my DT tank after a water change.

I had tried cleaning the carrying jugs with a vinegar/water solution, to no avail. So I purchased new jugs and the necessary equipment to make my RODI and salt water at home. And I certainly wasn't going to use a salt mix that could possibly reproduce the problem with the red crud (or any other precipitate).

Please note that I don't mean this as argumentative, Randy. But you asked, and I wanted to get my point across as to why this is important to me. Having a clean mix means just one less issue to deal with in the maintenance of my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi - the lfs said that they use RS Coral Pro for mixing their salt. And even if the red crud doesn't produce any problems for the tank chemically, it did produce problems visually.

The red crud eventually started flaking off in the carrying jugs and got poured into the sump. I don't keep my sump in pristine shape, but adding crud to it was counterintuitive. Plus, I would sometimes see some small red flakes in my DT tank after a water change.

I had tried cleaning the carrying jugs with a vinegar/water solution, to no avail. So I purchased new jugs and the necessary equipment to make my RODI and salt water at home. And I certainly wasn't going to use a salt mix that could possibly reproduce the problem with the red crud (or any other precipitate).

Please note that I don't mean this as argumentative, Randy. But you asked, and I wanted to get my point across as to why this is important to me. Having a clean mix means just one less issue to deal with in the maintenance of my tank.

For sure, this thread is all about folks opinions and I want to understand.

When you say red, might that be what folks call brown?

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, this thread is all about folks opinions and I want to understand.

When you say red, might that be what folks call brown?
It definitely could be. If I remember correctly, it was a brownish-red (or reddish-brown, depending on how you look at it).

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby and doing a lot of reading and watching videos. I saw this video from BRSTV on what salt mixes really cost (spoiler alert cost per gallon created is actually pretty similar from when the video was created).

Curious for those of you that have been around the hobby for a while think of what they came up with. Yes, regular IO is a bit cheaper, but the rest work out to be pretty close.

I’d change the question a bit … assuming they all cost about the same per gallon created, which salt would you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby and doing a lot of reading and watching videos. I saw this video from BRSTV on what salt mixes really cost (spoiler alert cost per gallon created is actually pretty similar from when the video was created).

Curious for those of you that have been around the hobby for a while think of what they came up with. Yes, regular IO is a bit cheaper, but the rest work out to be pretty close.

I’d change the question a bit … assuming they all cost about the same per gallon created, which salt would you use?

They do not all cost even close to the same. :)

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not all cost even close to the same. :)
Per BRS analysis, when you consider the amount of salt water you get, it’s close. Watch the video to see their analysis.

52F4B32E-3645-470A-98F0-2635D34B3A2C.jpeg

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're new to the hobby, let me give you some advice:

BRS's videos are commercials. They exist to sell high margin product, and absolutely every "test" they do is designed to highlight the products they want to sell.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great poll. I chose cost, chemistry and how well the corals respond.

poor choice of the picture though. I know it’s just an example but when revhtree himself posts something and a pic shows up, it feels like an endorsement and people take it seriously. These would have been better and appropriate choices - Red Sea, TM or RC/IO… just something to keep in mind for future.

Sam
hey I use kent too man lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per BRS analysis, when you consider the amount of salt water you get, it’s close. Watch the video to see their analysis.

52F4B32E-3645-470A-98F0-2635D34B3A2C.jpeg

Of course they want you to believe them and buy the most expensive products from them.

Sadly, many people simply believe things BRS claims as if they are consumer reports or something.

BRS charges $58 for a 150 gallon box of normal IO.

Petco is currently selling 50 gal bags for 12.99. That’s only $38.97 for the same amount of salt.

That’s much cheaper than many other salt mixes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back