The NEW IceCap REEF-Cam is HD and goes underwater!

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, where's the "Quick" start guide for this thing? Nothing at all from what I see. I go to the link on the paper saying go here for the quick start guide.

I picked one up with the money back I got from BRS for the Apogee.
I am sorry. Not sure what happened to the download link on our website here:http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-reef-cam. I should have it up by the end of the day. Otherwise send a request for a PDF at coralvue.com/support.

The instructional video for the camera can be viewed here:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry. Not sure what happened to the download link on our website here:http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-reef-cam. I should have it up by the end of the day. Otherwise send a request for a PDF at coralvue.com/support.

The instructional video for the camera can be viewed here:

Thanks, there was no download or video in the download or video section.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, there was no download or video in the download or video section.
No there was not. We had to save that for a future video.
But recording is simple. Make sure the app is completely dead when you insert the micro SD card. It can not just be closed down, the app must be killed. Wait several minutes and start the app. If you don't see the card then it may not be properly formatted for the camera. You will have to properly format the card using only a computer. Here is a link to how to format the card: http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card. If you are using a MAC, please select MS-DOS (FAT). If you are using a windows computer, then please use FAT. Please let me know if you have issues formatting the card.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest my initial impressions so far are, Eh. But could be because I already have a web came setup on the side of my tank. Quality isn't any worse or better then my webcam. It needs some good bandwidth for sure. Biggest thing though it needs improvement on is some kind of control for white balance and color saturation or something. Which can be done via the app I'd imagine? If it can do that I would be impressed and happy with the product. My webcam does auto white balance but the colors are muted so the opposite spectrum of the color saturation from the reef cam right now. Another big add on would be able to view from my PC/Laptop and of course Apex integration which I can do with my webcam. :)

I do like I don't have to poke a hole through my firewall and setup port forwarding. I also like the versatility of mounting inside or outside the aquarium. Setup is easy once you get the quick start guide or watch the video and can find the App. Don't do a search for icecap that will not bring up anything you want. Just do an App search for Reefcam.

And of course a big plus is support from Coral Vue. Always spot on and there. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rhinotronics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'd like to see other camera companies get into this... GoPro? I already planned on dipping my GoPro into my tank for nice videos, but I'd like to see a better resolution out of this idea and of course Apex compatibility.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about something like a go pro but the live streaming is what I'm after and the icecap reef-cam is perfect for that as it's an easy setup for anyone that has a wireless or wired network and they don't have to deal with port forwarding or the insecurity of it. I have mine wired as I don't trust the reliability of wireless though I do have wireless in my house for things like our phones, tablets, and laptops. But I hardwire everything that stays put like our desktop, Apex, TV, etc.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little live update here as I've been watching the reef-cam all day so far... It doesn't do well with color saturation with just my LEDs on. It looks better when my T5s just kicked on at 12:30. Still on the high side of being to saturated but not as bad as when my T5s were off. I'd bet it would look better with no LEDs on or just a T5 setup. White balance is probably ok. It's just the hues and over saturation of colors I think. Like yellow belly hippo tank glows. lol

And FYI, I have a lot of LEDs plastered over my tank. Can see my setup here for reference:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...nd-t5-installation-testing-and-review.292314/

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested if this would perform better than my raspberry pi camera. I have mounted on the side of the glass. @jason2459 Can you take some screen shots of what you see in the app.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My webcam mounted in the outside
b227b702cde7e96a980f2470b4c684d1.jpg

Icecap reef-cam
395413ea159bf9e5f84da1f8526e9c3e.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back