The new Red Sea REEFER Protein Skimmers are now in production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i got sick and tired of that noise from the skimmer so I designed (based upon various air chambers from Nyos and others) and 3d printed the new Red Sea skimmer air chamber. After about 4 prints fine tuning (each print takes 6 hrs!), its done. Works amazingly well. Practically eliminated the noise coming from air suction. And, printed in red PLA, so matches well. If anyone is interested, send me pm.

0307FA04-4E46-448D-8B3F-E7E93908177C.jpeg
2AE3B5E0-D714-415C-8969-ACA601AA2684.jpeg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS finally installed my RSK-300 yesterday in my Reefer 250 V3 sump. Right now the water level in the sump is almost 9 inches and the manual says to it should be sitting in 6-8 inches. Are there any suggestions on how to lower the level in that section of the sump which will not affect the other side where it flows into the media baskets? Will changing the height of the gate where the water flows into the upper left pump section of the V3 sump provide me a fix?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS finally installed my RSK-300 yesterday in my Reefer 250 V3 sump. Right now the water level in the sump is almost 9 inches and the manual says to it should be sitting in 6-8 inches. Are there any suggestions on how to lower the level in that section of the sump which will not affect the other side where it flows into the media baskets? Will changing the height of the gate where the water flows into the upper left pump section of the V3 sump provide me a fix?

Why dont you just put something under the skimmer to raise it?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like a block of marinepure

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, 2 1/2 days since the skimmer was installed and it has now become extremely loud. It is making a vibrating sound and considering my Reefer 250 is in the living room it is totally unacceptable!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Butuz I'm interested in the silencer but could you do a little test for us? There are sound meter apps for smart phones that can read a decibel reading from the microphone in your phone. I have an iPhone and the app I use is called Decibel X. There might be others for Android. And then could you take a decibel reading with the original silencer and then with your 3D printed silencer? Also what is the price you're charging for this? S&H?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, 2 1/2 days since the skimmer was installed and it has now become extremely loud. It is making a vibrating sound and considering my Reefer 250 is in the living room it is totally unacceptable!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
Color me dumb, I discovered the the loud vibrating noise was not coming from the skimmer but was from the long handle of a scraper that was leaning against the glass of the sump and vibrating because of it's proximity to the skimmer's pump. :(
I moved the long handled scraper away from the glass and now is is pretty quiet. :)

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Butuz I'm interested in the silencer but could you do a little test for us? There are sound meter apps for smart phones that can read a decibel reading from the microphone in your phone. I have an iPhone and the app I use is called Decibel X. There might be others for Android. And then could you take a decibel reading with the original silencer and then with your 3D printed silencer? Also what is the price you're charging for this? S&H?

Sure, I will do b4 and after test, will let u guys know.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS, a tip to those assembling their Red Sea skimmers, when you insert the collection cup into the body of the skimmer make sure that the "Foamview" window of the cup is facing outwards so you can clearly see it. Once pushed down into the body the collection cup will have a very tight seal and it is extremely difficult to remove and then turn to a better viewing angle.
upload_2019-4-9_15-19-49.jpeg

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to my old simplicity skimmer after 3 months as it never truely need replaced in the 1st place and it's just so much more user friendly in my system than this red sea. I absolutely dispise fighting to get the cup off and I'm not a fan of the hose drain option as it stinks up our house.. tried o-ring grease.. still a PIA... RS300 for sale here. prefer local transaction... Portland Oregon area. something about the lid and shape of the cup coupled with the wrestling match to get the cup off caused me to spill the skimmate back into my sump 3 times in a little under 3 months of use in my sump! 3rd time was enough... I've never have spilled skimmate into any of my other sumps prior.

Last edited:

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed this on my new reefer 170. The pump itself isnt loud but the sucking of air is quite audable. Ill update if it gets better but so far im annoyed with that sucking air noise.

On the other hand the varios 4 is completly silent. I hear the water going in the overflow over ghe pump itself very impressive

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back