The new Tunze Stream 3.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they could have designed something any uglier. If taking them at their word and this is the next gen of technology then I sure hope form factor catches up and this ugly thing gets A LOT smaller. The guy in the video didn't mention how they combat or deal with calcium build up so time will tell how well this holds up. I think the tech is pretty cool but maybe not ready for the aesthetics we look for in a powerhead.

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They just started shipping in Europe two days ago. Tunze posted it on their facebook page.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can strategically sit this pump behind a rock wall, as they did in their videos, the size problem would lesson.

I do like the flow, but need to see how this goes with the early adapters for a couple months. Just like the original gyres had several problems, but after some tweaks, after 4 months or so, they were pretty dialed in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish they would get with the times

They've always been at the forefront as far as I can tell.

Building something with no wires in tank

That's a throwback to non-waterproof (Class II) motors and a gimmick. It makes the pump loud and introduces unique problems.

gyre type pump

Thankfully they didn't "me too" their design.....crazy advice

Looking at the video, that thing is way too big for nano size.

The Turbelle® nanostream® 6020 and Turbelle® nanostream® 6040 would be the small-tank "equivalents" and they've been out for a while. Solid!!

I imagine it would be fine on 200+ gallon tanks, but anything smaller

Check out the 6020 and 6040. (See links above.) About $40 and about $140, respectively. Nice pumps!

I have not liked the whole cord in the tank look since

Why don't they call it the "atrocious motor hanging on the outside of the tank HEY-LOOK-AT-ME" look???

:D :p :cool:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concept is the same and flow is similar, but yes the implementation and power are drastically different. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They just started shipping in Europe two days ago. Tunze posted it on their facebook page.

Nice wave!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I think it would take about 3 pieces of live rock to hide that pump from view completely. You can even hide 80% of it inside one of their ceramic mounts to make hiding even more complete.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone have Stream 3 working with Profilux controller?.. Looking for some reviews :)
I have 2 Gyres but really looking for different solutions...

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170525_110635.jpg
I received my Stream 3 from Marine Depot in February, took a while to find a spot for it and best settings, I am very happy with results, weirdest part was back flow it does every 30 hrs to clean out back screen, very powerful , only set at 50 percent max.

Last edited:

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob,
How big is you tank? Do you have other pumps in the tank besides Stream 3?.
Any specific settings you like more?

Thank you
Mike

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob,
How big is you tank? Do you have other pumps in the tank besides Stream 3?.
Any specific settings you like more?

Thank you
Mike
hey there Mike, the tank is 100gal. I have a 2 Iwaki pump closed loop system connected to my RKL on wave maker mode, but the tank needed more flow along the back, have the Tunze on pulse mode at 50%/30%, played with wave mode but much to powerful, worried about my old tank splitting apart, need to change tank

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya....yea, wave is dangerous for rimless tanks... i am planning to add one but will have to play with different settings.. My tank is 280 g with full of SPS ...Right now i have two Gyre's opposite sides but to clean them every two month is PITA:))

Bob Bennett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya....yea, wave is dangerous for rimless tanks... i am planning to add one but will have to play with different settings.. My tank is 280 g with full of SPS ...Right now i have two Gyre's opposite sides but to clean them every two month is PITA:))
With that size tank you will love it for sure, and it is as silent as they claim it to be, and a five yr warranty !

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back