The new Tunze Stream 3.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this in a 60 cube? I assume too large?

Depends on your plans. If you've seen at least the Tunze vids, then you've seen ONE flow a 150 gallon tank. Doesn't mean it's too much, but they do have a lot of other pumps I'd be likely to consider first.

looks HUGE

You don't buy flow pumps to look at! ;)

This type of pump is pretty well-adapted for hiding and working out of sight. Same goes for the similar, but much more diminutive, 6020 and 6040.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your plans. If you've seen at least the Tunze vids, then you've seen ONE flow a 150 gallon tank. Doesn't mean it's too much, but they do have a lot of other pumps I'd be likely to consider first.

Like the 6055?

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't buy flow pumps to look at! ;)

This type of pump is pretty well-adapted for hiding and working out of sight. Same goes for the similar, but much more diminutive, 6020 and 6040.
I buy pumps based on size sadly... Thats why I have the Aqamai

OP
OP
reefwiser

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqamai is such a small power head compared to a Tunze 3 .:) it is not even in the same class.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about the size of it too. And then I bought two lol! They are extremely powerful and can be difficult to hid. My rock work doesn't lend itself to hiding them as I don't like building up the vertical height too high. I might consider the "rocks" that hide them as I could blend those in fairly easily on the back wall. As far as the physical size of the pumps, I honestly stopped caring. I worry much more about function over form. These are powerful, quiet, and have a 5 year warranty. I'll take a slightly larger than average size as a compromise for all of that. I can say without exception that of all the people that have seen my tank, not a single one said "What are those HUGE things on the back wall?" They see fish, coral, snails, and maybe a crab or two.

I do not have fine sand and these have excavated the corners consistently until I got creative. If you have corner overflows, this may not be as much of an issue. There are still other placement options for me to try, though most of my corals seem pretty happy with the status quo. The exception is my hammer, which never fully extends its polyps. Easier to move it around than the pumps though.

I'd buy both again in a heart beat. The only other flow I have for my 220DT is a Fluval SP6 for the return and a Maxspect Gyre XF-250. I like both of those too btw lol!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the 6055?

Exactly.

6095 as well.

I even like the AC line – the 6045 is one of my all-time favorites. :)

I buy pumps based on size sadly

Those Hydor's are very interesting pumps, but I don't know much about the type of flow they generate. I'm guessing it's very low-velocity like most pumps these days?

BTW, you can have the same gripe about lots of large pumps, including most of the pumps made by the good folks who make your pump!;Cat

You might as well complain about this pump instead – it's almost 14" long!!! (21K GPH) ;)

Turbelle® masterstream 6580

If you're not just here for a good gripe (which is fine too! ;)), then the closest logical comparison (at $140) would be one of the pumps I mentioned above:

Turbelle® nanostream® 6040

It's actually about the same size as your Hydor (63 x 63 x 63mm) but puts out a little more flow.

not a single one said "What are those HUGE things on the back wall?"

I don't even think the equipment registers in most "normal people's" brains. (i.e. not us) Their eyes are naturally drawn to the obviously interesting stuff living all over the place. :D

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the
Exactly.

6095 as well.

I even like the AC line – the 6045 is one of my all-time favorites. :)

If you're not just here for a good gripe (which is fine too! ;)), then the closest logical comparison (at $140) would be one of the pumps I mentioned above:

Turbelle® nanostream® 6040

It's actually about the same size as your Hydor (63 x 63 x 63mm) but puts out a little more flow.

I don't even think the equipment registers in most "normal people's" brains. (i.e. not us) Their eyes are naturally drawn to the obviously interesting stuff living all over the place. :D

As it relates to the 6040, I was having a look at those. But the open propeller blade makes me a bit nervous...

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree. And when I figured that out I realized I was buying equipment based off of peer pressure instead of what might be best for the tank and/or my wallet. Heck, I don't even notice the equipment anymore unless I'm inspecting it for a specific reason. It's a tool, not art. Art is buying a rock to hide it lol!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it relates to the 6040, I was having a look at those. But the open propeller blade makes me a bit nervous...

I've been using the AC version (6020) for some supplementary flow for a few years....even had it positioned upside down for a while, aimed at the glass bottom, and didn't have a problem.

schprock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been able to use the tunze stream 3 with the 6105.5 battery backup?

I plugged mine in and couldn’t get the stream 3 to run.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been able to use the tunze stream 3 with the 6105.5 battery backup?

I plugged mine in and couldn’t get the stream 3 to run.

Do you just mean the safety connector or something different? AFAIK it should have the same connections, but..... @rvitko? :)

(This is another one that would probably be best as its own thread inside the Tunze forum. :))

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Stream 3 for about 5 months now. I love it. It is dead silent, pushes a huge amount of water then entire 6 foot length of my tank. I bought it when one of my WAVs died and Neptune couldn't fix it...a $200 dead pump after 18 months, I am not interested in pumps that are disposable for that much money.

I bought the stream for the 5 year warrantee; and love it for the flow and silence. When my other WAV dies...I will buy another Stream 3

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Stream 3 for about 5 months now. I love it. It is dead silent, pushes a huge amount of water then entire 6 foot length of my tank. I bought it when one of my WAVs died and Neptune couldn't fix it...a $200 dead pump after 18 months, I am not interested in pumps that are disposable for that much money.

I bought the stream for the 5 year warrantee; and love it for the flow and silence. When my other WAV dies...I will buy another Stream 3
Do you have it running on the back of the tank?

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have it running on the back of the tank?

I have a peninsula config, so the back is kind of the side, if you know what I mean. It reaches across the whole 6 foot length of my 180 gal and provides nice turbulence at the far end.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back