The NEXT Generation From Neptune?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is going to be a game changer when ecotech enter the controller market very soon on Mobius platform with temp probe, power energy bar, skimmer, etc.... plus Measuring tank parameters (hint mindstream). Ecotech also bring all their product to international market too....

they announcing it when they at the waterbox reunion a week ago (4:09). I believe Terrance from Neptune are there too at the reunion. Maybe thats why they try to release the cheap $250 ApexEL with more people hook onto and invest in their eco system
Video...

I hate to burst your bubble but Mobious is a pretty simple App and even if it had more functionality coming, it could be years before we see it. I just don't see a bunch of wireless devices becoming interlinked to become a controller system. Wireless has always been the weak link in any system. Most people hardwire their controller with the Ethernet port to prevent the disconnections that happen with WiFi. Just imagine Wireless Power Bars and Wireless breakout boxes for probes etc all depending on a wireless hub. Seems like a recipe for disaster. The second issue is functionality. The stuff you see in the Apex, GHL and Aquatronica took years of beta testing to get properly running. I would expect that given Ecotechs need for quality they would also want to take a couple of years Testing anything they came out with. I agree with the other poster in that if they had taken up the MindStream they would have been able to cement people into their systems by having a critical part of their future system on the market now.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more on the WiFi being a weak link.
The potential for failure with it is high.

I am an Apex advocate, but I would like to see them work on the existing Peripherals and do some serious improvements.
Salinity probes as the first priority.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more on the WiFi being a weak link.
The potential for failure with it is high.

I am an Apex advocate, but I would like to see them work on the existing Peripherals and do some serious improvements.
Salinity probes as the first priority.

+1 on the salinity probe. I took mine off-line a month ago, as I was sick of the false readings. :(

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the salinity probe. I took mine off-line a month ago, as I was sick of the false readings. :(

I did not take it off line but its hard to calibrate.
Never close to actual readings, so I just follow the offset reading.
I will say its stable with the cable seperated but for a while it would read 60.
I soaked it in vinegar for three hours, rinsed with RO/DI several times, and calibrated with fresh Neptune fluid. Would never settled.
So I now just manually calibrate it with the DT water colum.
After all tthatit reads 39-40 now. All my other salinity devices read 34-35.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Improve the quality of the energy bars. Those ports are not reliable enough and if they spent a fraction more would make a world of difference. I don't want anything new I want something better

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont understand what is happening with the trident. It makes no sense that production would be so slow. I am starting to think there is a flaw and they have to do a ton of testing on each unit to weed out the bad ones. Anyone really know?

It is very odd, I suspect there is a very good reason for it since each one they make is like printing money. I guess one day we will hear the truth. I am sure several forum members know exactly why.

Last edited:

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this thread went quiet. I saw Neptune systems applied for a trademark name that points to a light coming. What about testing of phosphate and nitrates? Trident2? when are they going to announce the next thing?

Ozzi-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't hold your breath.

Still waiting (in Austalia, UK and Europe) for an Energy Bar that wasn't designed in the previous century.

I have not ordered a Trident due to not wanting to get stuck in a situation where I cant get reagents (supply in Oz is even worse than US) - My KHG has been doing a great job for stability over the past year and Ca & Mg are stable enough to test monthly.

Sure, PO4 & NO3 would be great in a Trident V2 - But Hanna ULR Phosphate is good enough and I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the brand-new Hanna LR Nitrate checker (already paid and on the list since June and expecting it in early-mid August).

Maybe the company should consider a rename to 'Khione' - The goddess of snow & ice - Because all I see is Glacial pace!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't hold your breath.

Still waiting (in Austalia, UK and Europe) for an Energy Bar that wasn't designed in the previous century.

I have not ordered a Trident due to not wanting to get stuck in a situation where I cant get reagents (supply in Oz is even worse than US) - My KHG has been doing a great job for stability over the past year and Ca & Mg are stable enough to test monthly.

Sure, PO4 & NO3 would be great in a Trident V2 - But Hanna ULR Phosphate is good enough and I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the brand-new Hanna LR Nitrate checker (already paid and on the list since June and expecting it in early-mid August).

Maybe the company should consider a rename to 'Khione' - The goddess of snow & ice - Because all I see is Glacial pace!
Yeah, the v2 with nitrates and phosphates wouldn’t be worth it. I have them stable enough to test bi weekly. So $20usd a month in reagents would be a waste. It only takes me 5 minutes to test both so it’s not a big Hassle. No more scavenger Hunts for reagents!

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Energy bar quality is my biggest Neptune complaint. I really hope they don't make a light as that would take away from what they should be focused on; quality. Make the energy bars rock solid then move into something like a Trident V2 but stay away from lights or pumps because others have already locked that space up.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Energy bar quality is my biggest Neptune complaint. I really hope they don't make a light as that would take away from what they should be focused on; quality. Make the energy bars rock solid then move into something like a Trident V2 but stay away from lights or pumps because others have already locked that space up.
Trust me, they are going to make a light. They want to send a message to ETM and they will use their distribution friends to make it work. I suspect the main selling point of the light will be that its cheap and has a ton of Blue and UV LED's. I don't know who calls the shots but this is really going to be a waste of money. If you can afford an Apex your more than likely already going to have Radions or some other high end lights. Having integrated lighting control in Fusion is just not that big a deal. I cannot even remember when last I went in and messed around with my light settings.

Controller upgrade is not going to happen but the release of the new version of Fusion should be interesting. At least the graph issues are going to be fixed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the release of the new version of Fusion should be interesting.

Had not heard there was a new version coming ….. though I tend to pay attention to these kinds of things only when I'm contemplating a purchase ….. which I am currently not :).

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't hold your breath.

For the cost of a trident get DOS x2 or versa pumps for daily automatic water changes and the other for 2 part dosing. Check with a Hanna Alkalinity tester and adjust accordingly. Faster, reliable, no issues with PO4 or nitrates because of water changes. No running out of Reagents. I was hoping Neptune would buy mindstream..., but my system works for now.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had not heard there was a new version coming ….. though I tend to pay attention to these kinds of things only when I'm contemplating a purchase ….. which I am currently not :).
It was talked about briefly during the live chat they had two or three weeks ago. They showed a short video of the graphing and it seemed smother and more intuitive.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx …. makes sense as the current version is a bit long in the tooth.

U

User1

View Badges
No one knows what SKY is or even if it is a new light. It was first mentioned back in February and they clearly said that is all we will know. The name. They are not going to do any more soft or paper type launches based on the amount of bashing they received over the Trident. Lesson learned. It could be a light. It could be a new module.

If they do make a light more power to them. It isn't really rocket science and several people make DIY multi channel arrays that are incredibly good (blue acro and Nano Reefs for example). Hobbyist only have to decide if they want a clean package over the counter or go it alone via the DIY model. Both work and will grow corals successfully.

If it was a light then I was hoping it would be the new Philips but that was snagged. Not only that it is on the more expensive side so probably not a good fit. I'm leaning towards a new module since one is recently retired. Who knows. I don't.

Updated Fusion portal though - I guess. Probably a few things they could do or add to make end user quality of life nice.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new reef system and I have to say I'm simultaneously impressed with Neptune's marketing and business strategy and unimpressed with their products and price. I'm intrigued that drygoods selling forums are clogged with old Neptune Apex products. What does that say about them?

I am thinking of going with some Kasa power strips, device-specific controllers for wavemakers and lights if they come with them, and DIY the doser and topoff functions with level sensors.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that say about them?
That their parts usually hold value pretty well for many years and they have ok reliability. I agree that quality isn’t great for the price but alternatives are lacking.

my $500 Ghl doser has a menu in Engrish, and is generally slow and difficult to use. Maybe the hardware is good but software is equivalent to a Chinese knockoff

U

User1

View Badges
I'm building a new reef system and I have to say I'm simultaneously impressed with Neptune's marketing and business strategy and unimpressed with their products and price. I'm intrigued that drygoods selling forums are clogged with old Neptune Apex products. What does that say about them?

I am thinking of going with some Kasa power strips, device-specific controllers for wavemakers and lights if they come with them, and DIY the doser and topoff functions with level sensors.

It doesn't really say anything. Their products work. Doesn't mean there are not any issues that people have or failures but looking at their business history - they are in business because their products work, have a good portfolio, and great supporting staff. You can look at any other human made manufactured items and there will be reported issues. We all have flaws.

I think you should do what works for you. It sounds like Neptune products are not. No harm, no foul.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back