The principle of overflow ?

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big and first step of converting my tank to saltwater is the figure out how water will flow from aquarium to the sump , the problem i cant drill it and it has extra glass of length 5-6 cm . I see that all tanks using gravity to flow water in but why dont just add water pump to pull water from the tank to the sump ? and if you have any ideas please share .. Sorry for bad English .

Attachments

• 1000957_10201404745620851_2079910861_n.jpg
    1000957_10201404745620851_2079910861_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 293

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you drill the tank?

You can't use two pumps to move the water from one tank to another because it would be almost impossible to sync up the two pumps so that they are moving water at the exact same amount of water. Eventually one of the tanks would overflow.

You might be able to try something like this. I have never used this method before but you could make something custom for your setup.

HOW TO: DIY Aquarium Overflow - YouTube

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant drill it because is made from special glass (dont know the name) it will collapse , i saw this video but the setup is very ugly to me . This is what i want to know , how you able to sync up with overflow box and one pump but cant do that with 2 pumps ?

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of making a box with cuts in top so it will suck surface of water and just but a pump inside it ...

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps will never pump exactly the same so you would be setting youself up for a flood, even identical pumps will not be equal due to imperfections in the impeller, differences in headloss etc.

A siphon overflow like a hang on back overflow box is what you need. If properly designed it will always be capable of moving more water than the return pump and the pump will determine what the flow and level in the display tank will be. HOB overflows usually have adjustable weirs or teeth so you can raise or lower the display level to your liking. It should never lose suction or need priming once set up and as said before will match flows with whatever pump you use as long as the pump capacity is not larger than the overflow, you match them up.

Your glass bracing may require cutting for something to fit in a back corner.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make an overflow out of pvc with the one above kinda the same. only you should use 1" pvc not 1/2" pvc.

If you're really interested I think I still have some pictures on photo bucket.

someplace.

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy butt beaslbob ideas

If you don't have space behind that tank but do have space beside or above the tank you could use a storage container for the refugium and the overflow would be on that container. the pump would pump from the tank to the container.

You could also do an in tank refugium in the back part of the tank which would just be a partition a few inches from the back glass. macros and pods could then thrive in that area.

my .02

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your tank made from 100% tempered glass? Usually the bottom is tempered not the sides. Who made your tank? I had a friend many years ago had his tank explode into tiny pieces when a piece of live rock fell and just tapped the tempered glass. Personally a tempered tank would not go in my house. It is supposed to be stronger glass but if you tap it just right with a heavy sharp object it explodes.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your tank sides and back are tempered build a PVC overflow as mentioned above with black PVC paint the back of the tank black. in six months it will be covered in coraline algae and you wont see it. Or you can build an over flow box around it if you think the PVC will be an eyesore. Your euro bracing is going to make any of this difficult. How big is the tank? I know the local big pet stores in my area do an annual $1 a gallon fish tank sale. They are not euro braced, not starphire not anything high end. But they are drillable. And I know many people who have had them running for years. To get what you want it may be time to consider buying a new/or used tank. This hobby is so expensive. but there are many ways around that.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find someone custom made over flow box, u r set to reef keeping

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a HOB overflow box for my tank online fairly reasonable. I've never had any issue with it. To prevent the syphon from getting broken I did drill a little hole at the top of the U tube, inserted one of those little nozzles that come with airstones and attached airline tubing to it. The airline tubing goes to an Aqualifter pump and the output has airline tubing running back into the back of the overflow box. All the airline tubing is siliconed to prevent it coming off and breaking the syphon. The aqualifter pump guarantees a syphon is started every time the return pump turns on. It has worked great and no drilling was necessary.

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
760mason yes im sure it is 100% because the tank is custom made and yes the whole problem is with that eruo bracing it make every thing difficult to do ,, i cant sell the tank because i have memories with it and i real like it .

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a HOB overflow box for my tank online fairly reasonable. I've never had any issue with it. To prevent the syphon from getting broken I did drill a little hole at the top of the U tube, inserted one of those little nozzles that come with airstones and attached airline tubing to it. The airline tubing goes to an Aqualifter pump and the output has airline tubing running back into the back of the overflow box. All the airline tubing is siliconed to prevent it coming off and breaking the syphon. The aqualifter pump guarantees a syphon is started every time the return pump turns on. It has worked great and no drilling was necessary.

Any chance for a picture ?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back