The principle of overflow ?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see from the last picture that you want your pump to run fast enough to be just above the stand pipe, that way it doesn't make a sucking noise as the water is going down it. I also duct taped a cardboard top which also insulates any water noise of water going down the stand pipe, plus it provides a place for the aqualifter to sit. I'm sure you could make that look better than I did. LOL. Most HOB overflow boxes have adjustments that you can set how high or low you want the water to be in your display tank and I think you can see those in the front on picture.

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot vlangel ! , but their is other problem ... yesterday i visit all known Amman fish stores and no one have HOB overflow boxes :squigglemouth: its seems i have to diy one .

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But here where i don't understand and cant imagine why i cant just make a box , added it in the tank in high level and but inside a pump :neutral: .... Whats wrong with this setup ?
Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump in upper right corner will be in specific level like HOB overflow box :neutral:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your diagram, even with a box in your display tank (which I assume has teeth cut out so water can flow into it), the pump in the box will not pump at exactly the same rate as the pump in the sump. If the pump in the box pumps slower then the box will totally fill up and the display tank will keep getting higher until it over flows. If on the other hand the pump in the box pumps faster, then it will eventually pump the box dry and burn itself up. Neither of those situations happen with a HOB overflow box because the pump in the sump determines how fast the water goes over the overflow and since its gravity flow it never goes down faster than it is pumped back up. Does that make sense. I'm not sure I can explain it very well.

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make an overflow out of pvc with the one above kinda the same. only you should use 1" pvc not 1/2" pvc.

If you're really interested I think I still have some pictures on photo bucket.

someplace.

With 1'' how much water it will drop in the sump per hour ?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 1'' how much water it will drop in the sump per hour ?

My drain is 1" but it depends on your pump and plumbing how much water goes in per hr. I have a 9.5 mag pump that Ys off above the pump. One side goes through my chiller, the other through my UV and that slows down the gallons per hour a lot, especially since both chiller and UV plumbing is reduced from 1" to 5/8s. I never checked the turn over of water down the drain but I know it flows through the chiller about 120 - 150 gallons an hour. I'm guessing that the UV is about the same. However if I didn't have a chiller and UV and the return went straight back to the display tank, a lot more water would run down the drain.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN NOT use a pump to pump the water down to a sump and a pump to return it, one or the other will ALWAYS pump more than the other so either the display OR the sump will flood, always.

A propely designed 1" overflow is easily capable of about 800+/- GPH. I am running a WaterBlaster HY-5000 pump wide open with no restrictions and 4 feet of headloss with a single 1" Stockman standpipe overflow. That pump is rated at 1300 GPH at 0 feet and over 700 at 4 feet.

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drain is 1" but it depends on your pump and plumbing how much water goes in per hr. I have a 9.5 mag pump that Ys off above the pump. One side goes through my chiller, the other through my UV and that slows down the gallons per hour a lot, especially since both chiller and UV plumbing is reduced from 1" to 5/8s. I never checked the turn over of water down the drain but I know it flows through the chiller about 120 - 150 gallons an hour. I'm guessing that the UV is about the same. However if I didn't have a chiller and UV and the return went straight back to the display tank, a lot more water would run down the drain.

Thanks for accurate information

OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN NOT use a pump to pump the water down to a sump and a pump to return it, one or the other will ALWAYS pump more than the other so either the display OR the sump will flood, always.

A propely designed 1" overflow is easily capable of about 800+/- GPH. I am running a WaterBlaster HY-5000 pump wide open with no restrictions and 4 feet of headloss with a single 1" Stockman standpipe overflow. That pump is rated at 1300 GPH at 0 feet and over 700 at 4 feet.

I get it 2 pumps bad idea also thanks for point into good info that the pump in the sump will be in different rates for different heights .

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a completely different direction here..... can you and do you have room above tank water level to place a sump ? You can also pump water up to a sump and have it gravity feed back to Display...... just a thought.

Cheers, Todd

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Y

Yusuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thought but no i dont have space above the tank .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back