• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

The Rok Citi Coralz Growout Extraviganza!!!

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut pieces are as below. If Dan can cut his stawberry orange sherbert, sc rainbow party, tec watermelon and wwc subzero, then those pieces can be healed and given to jai so we can finally take them off the list. The snakeskin and subzero wm look a little stressed but should be ok in a few days. Thanks Gumby! Those are some sweet pieces you have yourself :)

Bill is swinging by on saturday and bringing along the cf flamethrower. I'll be cutting that one next, along with a couple of others (fnf goku, etc..). The new cuts will go to Bills tank and I'll adjust the front page accordingly. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to cut the rainbow magic, tangerine dreams and a few others to distribute to another tank (in case of any unforseen deaths or crashes). That way if we ever lose a piece, we'll have a back up in someone elses tank. Nice to see the growout finally showing some good results!

strawberry orange sherbert
jc cigars sherbert
sc rainbow party
tec watermelon
snakeskin
wwc subzero watermelon

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like a plan Frank I'm glad we will all soon enough have some gems that we can start to cross off this crazy long list that dosent seem to stop growing

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a couple of pics to mess around. enjoy.

reefkoi's red rimmed rainbow, small second eye is forming.

043-5.jpg

sweet strawberry watermelon
039-3.jpg

Rainbow Magic starting to spread out nicely now. 3 eyes and looking like a canidate for cutting :)

024-8.jpg

065-2.jpg

Fnf Goku looking sooo sweet and also almost ready to go under the knife :)

052-3.jpg

My Miami. If you can believe it, already growing. check out those feeders. This baby is always hungry.

047-6.jpg

bahama mama Second eye forming along nicely. Soon to be part of your collection.

049-3.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangerine Dreams Colors look fantastic on this one. Multiple eyes and hopefully will start spreading out evenly so it can be cut. Growing along very nicely.

076-2.jpg

Doomsday is sooo sweet but just doesn't want to grow. Stubborn little guy.

018-7.jpg

Devils Inferno Look at those colors! And we have two frags of this baby. Soon we'll all have a frag.

014-7.jpg

Wwc Fanta This is one I wanted to cut last week but we can wait until next month. Several eyes on it and it loves to eat.

002-20.jpg

Here's the firecracker chalice from Dnov! I'm going to have to thank Darren again because it's starting to look even sweeter as time goes by. Looks like it's starting to develop a fourth color already!

007-18.jpg

not sure why the picture came out a little dark but the arc wanted is spreading nicely with multiple eyes. I'm sure most of these will be ready to slice in another 2-3 months so we can grow them out from 2 different systems. This piece would look waaay better in lower light and get back it's other colors but I'm sacraficing that in order to keep feeding and fattening it up.

020-6.jpg

sexy corals flamethrower favia

one of my favorite favias. great color and you can see it's growing nicely.

091.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's my favorite of the bunch, Reefkoi's Viron Flame. Vibrant pink, bright orange/yellow eyes with a subtleness of green spread throughout. Both pieces are doing fantastic and the big one is sprouting several eyes ( a couple which are already eating). The white faded spots are where the new eyes are developing.

Only piece not doing well right now is the planet earth which receded a little on it's edges but seems to have stablelized. I'll be passing that piece off to Bill or Jai when they swing by in hopes that it does better in their system. orange immolation is the same as it's always been. I have it partially shaded. Barely grows, not even sure it does. Color is always off but that has been it's story since day 1. It continues to eat but I just can't get it to grow or color up fully. Everything else is doing well, even the fresh cuts from my fragging the other day.

021-7.jpg

029-2.jpg

086-3.jpg

070-4.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh soon you'll have enough corals for every man, woman, and child in Jersey :D

Lol, I wouldn't go that far but there's definitely a lot of pieces here. It's been great to work with others on this project, even though it's been a lot of work. I'm positive that when it's all said and done, the collection will make all of it worth it in the end.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shots i just love any pics under actinics really shows the chalice true beauty some great lookin pieces Frank and thats not even 1/3rd of the growout lol

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shots i just love any pics under actinics really shows the chalice true beauty some great lookin pieces Frank and thats not even 1/3rd of the growout lol

Yeah, I love the pics. I don't use actinics. these were taken with ati blue +, really brings out there color. the aquablue special I have on during midday washes them out. I'm going to have to look into substituting that bulb in the future.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I love the pics. I don't use actinics. these were taken with ati blue +, really brings out there color. the aquablue special I have on during midday washes them out. I'm going to have to look into substituting that bulb in the future.

Try the KZ new gen 14K. Does not drown out the colors at all.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i was under the impression thtat ATI blue+ was there actinic version but KZ definetly makes great bulbs only 2 brands i would use KZ and ATI

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp 78-79 steady
salinity 1.027
alk 9.5
magnesium 1250
calcium 450-500
ph 8.2 - 8.3

so I'm glad I tested so I can correct the magnesium which has taken a dip since last time I tested. I attribute the fall to an increase in bioload and the more frequent water changes I've been doing these past 3 weeks (plus I cut down the dosage since last time because it was in the 1600 range. I'd like to get it at 1450-1500. Anyway, everything else is on point, I'll just increase the dosage a bit on the mag., cut down on the water changes and keep everything else stable. Tank and corals look great and while growth has been slow with a couple of pieces (doomsday, etc..), everything else has been growing great. That includes all the new cuts I fragged last week.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems like this growout has been takin a backseat to "LiFe" lol but I had a friend comeby and snap some pics of the corals in my tank and well here is the pic of the Pinstripe piece we all chipped in for hope you guys like it
21485d1321848601-rok-citi-coralz-growout-extraviganza-img_4402.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread seems pretty died any updates and pics from the guys that have pieces i will be updating sunday evening with pics

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several pieces were given to Jai and Bill, my tank was just too small to accomodate so many frags. There wasn't enough flow for some pieces and they started to suffer a little. I updated the front page list to show where all the pieces went. The pieces that remain in my tank are all looking good but growth has slowed a little. I had to cut down on feeding these past 3 weeks because the tank was so crowded and because money was tight (needed supplies). I just bought some new supplies and transfered a bunch of frags to Jai and Bill so I can resume feeding for growth. I'll do some testing next week and a photo update the following week.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water earlier in the week.

calcium 400
mag 1300
salinity 1027
temps 78/79
ph 8.2
alk 9-9.5

Magnesium and calcium dipped a little because I've been doing more frequent water changes but kept my dosing the same. I've since adjusted the dosage. Everything is looking good, just not as much growth as I'd like :) If it was up to me I'd like to see them grow extra eyes every day but unfortuntely chalices are slow growers, even with the attention and feeding I've been giving them. I just took some pics and will start uploading them now. Please keep up with the updates guys. We all signed up for this growout as a team and it would be nice to see how everything is doing every 3-4 weeks at least. Especially since I've given you guys a bunch of the pieces to hold in your tanks. Anyway, I'm putting up the pics without names, I believe you all know what is what. If not lmk and I'll give you the name and it's progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back