• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

The Rok Citi Coralz Growout Extraviganza!!!

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
031-2.jpg

025-6.jpg

020-7.jpg

014-8.jpg

005-20.jpg

010-9.jpg

022-6.jpg

066-3.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bill. You know, I actually thought that growth had slowed down and there was no change. Not sure if you guys noticed but since the last update, there has been a difference in several pieces. rainbow red rim, rainbow magic, gold rush, disco inferno and arc wanted are all showing new eyes. I guess I haven't been paying that much attention to the details as I used to. Anyway, growth has been good and I think a few of them are close to being ready to cut. I'll let you guys know when I do and then you can decide who picks up the new frags when it's all said and done. I'm thinking by the end of Jan. there will be freshly healed frags.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I can't say this enough what a great grower this group elected idk about other growouts but I do know this one is a pleasure to be a part of. The pieces look great Frank and sure glad to see an update as for the pieces I have in my possesion they are all doin well the reef koi riddlers revenge seems to be poppin out 2 or 3 new eyes from the original 3 the pinstripe is doing well and I believe you gave me the sherbert to growout also all doing well the Oi is border line gone I believe its gonna be hit or miss with that one actually receded a bit but will update next week gonna see if my boy wants to come over with his new t3I and snap some pics

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having trouble keeping my smaller chalice frags healthy these past couple of months so I started doing more water changes and testing the water more often. What I came to realize was that my last batch of alk sollution was stronger than usual. There was a slow down in growth because of this though the larger chalice pieces in the growout were mainly unaffected. I got rid of the alk and just bought an auto dosing pump so that the alk and calcium is distributed evenly throughout the 24 hrs, rather then at night when I usually dose. This was where the main problem was occuring. I would dose at night, in the morning the alk would go up a point or two and then go back down when I tested later in the day (so I was always coming up with steady numbers though that was incorrect. My smaller pieces of FT, Bm and jawbreaker (sorry Dan and Bill) didn't survive these fluctuations. Anyway, thought I'd give you guys the heads up and thankfully the problem will be fixed now. I plan on testing a couple of more times once I dial up the doser. Once that is settled, I plan on cutting the tangerine dreams, fnf goku, rainbow magic, the larger viron flame and maybe one or two more pieces. Once the frags heal, any one of you guys can swing by and pick up the frags. I would feel safer if we have these pieces in two tanks, rather then just mine. Happy holidays guys, to you and your families, Frank.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you got it figured out Frank, now I guess we have to find more peices

Thanks! Felt so bad that a couple of my pieces didn't make it. Like your jawbreaker ): Luckily for you my mother just sprouted another baby. Should be ready in a month or two.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New year everyone. Family is at the in-laws so I had time to work on the tank, replace the blade on my saw and cut a couple of pieces. I sliced up the Fnf Goku, Tangerine Dreams and Rainbow Magic. Nice clean cuts, dipped and fragged. Now my fingers are crossed that the pieces will be ok and heal up nicely. I'll take pics of the new cuts and what's left of the original colonies and update the thread. Once healed, we'll figure out who will take them and help grow them out. I did not cut the viron flame, the eyes are still growing out on them.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini update. Took pictures of the fresh cuts and original colonies. They're stressed, as can be expected but so far look stable. The cuts were nice (fresh new blade), receding minimal and are looking good, considering they were cut last night. The my miami receded a little last week, I didn't even notice it until I checked the frags yesterday before cutting. My guess is from the mini spikes of alk that my tank was going through last month. As you all know I figured that out and I'm getting the doser in on tuesday. Tested my water this morning and alk was at 9.5. Magnisium is back to 1450, calcium 450-500, salinity and temps steady as always. Anyway, everything else is fine and I fed the my miami last night, so I'm not worried about the receding. by this time next week it should be back to normal. I'll take more pics next weekend and keep you guys updated on the pieces and their progress. Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope they'll have a quick recovery (they were dipped and vitamin c was dosed). I'm hoping they'll be nice and healthy and ready for one of you guys to pick up in a couple of weeks. That's it for now, any questions give me a call. Happy new years and be safe.

fnf goku pieces

012-9.jpg

022-7.jpg

rainbow magic cuts

021-9.jpg

024-10.jpg

tangerine dreams cuts

020-8.jpg

025-7.jpg

my miami (slight receding on the back side). besides this little set back, the frag has been doing great and doubled in size since it's come in.

019-8.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more update for the new year. The new cuts and frags are doing good. Best looking out of the bunch is the mother colony of the Tangerine Dreams. Doesn't even a look like it was cut. The one eye we got from the tangerine dreams and other pieces are still looking a little stressed but overall much better than yesterday. I did a water change earlier to clean out any toxins or mucus excreted from the cuttings. I just fed our pieces and they are all eating, even the fresh cuts, so that is a positive sign. Only negative is my test kit for the alkalinity ran out today. Luckily I ordered one with the doser and new lights so it will be here on Tuesday. I'll take some new pics of the frags and cuts later this week to show their status but so far, so good. Any further developments and I'll post up here and keep you guys informed. Only other news is that it looks like the second frag of Viron Flame we have is starting to show new eye growth. My estimate is that I'll be able to frag both Viron Flame Colonies within 6 weeks and we can each have at least an eye for our collection. It will be good to start crossing some of these pieces off our list.

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks hope everyone had a happy new years as for good news I wish I could have some I got the orange immolation piece from Frank about a month ago maybe longer it was hurting to begin with but seemed to be doin fine in my tank up until the weekend it has receded to about the size of what use to be our my miami. I'm afraid it can be headin out the door :sad: ill try my best to keep it alive. I know Frank offered to take it back since he figured out what was going wrong in his system as for the other piece I have in the growout all is well the tri color favia the freebie watermelon the acans along with the sherbert and reef kois riddler revenge is what I have from the group oh and the non vict from RO all doin well I don't have any pics to post up right now but I am workin on that will make another update by weeks end if anyone has any questions you can pm/text/call me

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gl on the OI Jai, if you get a chance, pop up a picture of it so we can see what's left of it. That piece was such a pain in the rear to keep healthy and happy. I won't be cutting small anymore or buying small for that matter. It's no coincidence that the pieces that struggle the most and die easily are only a quarter inch. The pieces that I cut by the way are doing great. Both fnf goku pieces are eating, healed and starting to color up again. Both pieces of the Rainbow Magic (the one that worried me the most) are healed, eating and look fantastic. The mother Tangerine dreams looks like it wasn't even cut, amazing. And the one eye TD has a little white skeleton showing but is eating and regaining it's color. Overall, I'm very happy and surprised with the speed of recovery. Either Dan is picking them up this weekend or Bill next weekend. It all depends on the health of the TD eye. One thing though guys and I know I've said it before but we need to keep updating this thread with photos and info, once every 3-4 weeks. We have to communicate to be succesfull and that goes for all of us (I slacked off a bit this summer too). I've seen too many growouts go south and end badly when the growers didn't keep on top of updates and at this point of our venture, we are all growers.

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know i havent been updating been so busy everything is doing great i have to cut some pieces like the disco inferno the wwc diablo and the fire fox the pieces i cut already are doing good the orange sherbert the rainbow party and there is another one cant rememmber the name the ucc holloween recieded on the one end but i think i figured it out (getting stung by something) so i moved it the t and l looks great but has stop growing i will try to get pics out soon

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go and buy a cheap camara to take some update pictures, Im still trying to figure out my Nikkon D-90 but its complicated

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo updates are a pain in the backside, I know, trust me I know :( I'll help you pick out a camera and macro lens if you want Bill. The Tangerine Dreams one eye is still not looking a hundred percent so a pick up this weekend is not looking good. They might have to wait until next weekend to get picked up. Either of you guys is fine with me. In about 4-6 weeks I'll be putting the chalices under the saw once again. I think I'll be able to cut the rainbow magic, tangerine dreams and fnf goku once again, along with the viron flame, goldrush, inferno, sc flamethrower favia and maybe one or two more. Hopefully by then we'll be able to knock some more pieces off our growout list. The ones that you cut and belong to Bill and yourself are the Tec watermelon, Sc Rainbow Party, WWC subzero and strawberry orange sherbert. Once Bill has those in his hands, we can take them off the list for good. Though we've suffered a couple of set backs and deaths, the majority of the pieces are doing great and we will each own some very nice frags in the end. I'm predicting that the growout will most likely be done by the summer time. I personally can't wait and am actually going to start a new build to house all these great collecter pieces. Great work guys and good luck the rest of the way!

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything continues to look good. I broke out my bandsaw today to cut an eye off my pinkalicious and decided what the heck. One of the Viron flames has been cut, so has the Arc wanted, gold rush, sc flamethrower favia and devils inferno. All nice clean cuts and so now comes the wait and see. Hopefully everything will be happy and heal nicely in the next few days. Whoever comes by next weekend can grab them up and help me along with the growout. I'll take pics in a couple of days when everything looks better. that's it for now.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the new cuts. Viron flame main colony took a beating when cut. dark spots, receding and deflated. Definitely a piece that does not like to be cut. The only other one that doesn't look happy is one of the arc wanted pieces. Nothing drastic on either one but definitely not as easy as the cuts last week. I fed the tank (fresh cuts all ate) and did a 5 percent water change last night. Hopefully they will all be happy and healed, this time next week. All the other pieces that were cut look fine and dealt with the fragging well. Tangerine dreams one eye frag is starting to look better but has yet to regain it's color (it also ate last night). All in all so far I'm happy with all the cuts. I'll add pics of the frags in a day or two so you guys can see what they look like.

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome frank im up loading pics now just took some group shots they look alittle receeded because i turned the lights on and took the pics but you get the idea

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pieces cut within the last couple of weeks are looking great and are good to go. Hopefully Bill will be able to swing by and pick them up this weekend, so he can add to his system. The tangerine dreams looks way better. Color is coming back to everything, even the viron flame main piece that had me very worried for a while there. All the frags are eating well and the my miami grew back it's rim after getting alk shocked a couple of weeks ago. I'll try and get a picture update uploaded by Friday so everyone can see what the frags and colonies look like. That's it.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back