• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

The Rok Citi Coralz Growout Extraviganza!!!

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my god, Dan this is truly a record breaker. That peice your adding is a beauty. Just think when you have all these peices in your tank, Im blown away. Im so glad Im in this with you guys words dont do me justice.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got most of the other pieces in today and a couple of more that Jai is dropping off tomorrow. I have to say that these pieces look awesome! Thanks again Kien. Very colorful pieces, well healed and nice sizes. Shipping was great and everything is healthy with very minimal receding, if any. Great stuff!!! Now all we have to do is wait on the extra pieces we've got and we can get this growout rolling. My pictures aren't the best but I believe they came out ok. Enjoy the pics!

Convict

100_0876.jpg

100_0890.jpg

Doomsday

100_0896.jpg

100_0895.jpg

100_0887.jpg

Orange Immolation

100_0881.jpg

100_0882.jpg

Arc Wanted

100_0879.jpg

100_0889.jpg

Rainbow Magic

100_0888.jpg

100_0884.jpg

100_0885.jpg

Orange Strawberry shortcake

100_0893.jpg

100_0894.jpg

100_0875.jpg

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we aint done yet bill

You could say that again Dan when I initally got into this growout I didn't expect all these great gems to be in the mix but by the time we finish nameing all the GeMs we will all have a BALLERS COLLECTIoN:tongue::tongue:

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy corals just delivered on a couple of great looking favias that I will be adding to the growout and also there's a couple of palys that Rok City gave as freebies. Jae is stopping by later to drop off the pieces he's including. I'll take pictures of them all today or this weekend and officially include them (edit the list). The newest frags are all doing great. Very very little white showing from stress but they mostly retained their color and I'm slowly acclimating them to my lights. The convict, Doomsday and Rainbow Magic all ate last night :bigsmile: The Arc wanted, Orange Immolation and orange strawberry sherbert weren't hungry :sad: I couldn't even locate their mouths to tempt them. Hopefully they'll eat in the future. If not they will most likely be our slowest growers. My miami and Tiger lily??? both are definitely growing another eye, as is the Cf flamethrower. My own Bpc ft is sprouting 4-5 new eyes and the Bahama mama just sprouted it's 3rd eye. I'm doing something right because the growth rate has been phenomenol. I've always experienced decent growth from my chalices but in the last couple of months they seem to be really taking off. I got new lights, a new vortech and started dosing some new stuff + have been feeding (new mixture) constantly so maybe it's a combination of these. In any case, The Matrix will hopefully be here on Tuesday and I'll snap a pic of it then (+ an update). Remember, you guys are more than welcome to swing by anytime and check them out yourself. Just make sure you bring plenty of food for me. I have to be kept healthy and happy too :tongue: .

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your doing a great job, and your right we gotta keep you well feed. To bad we our an hour apart other wise Id bethere with food daily

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry:
your doing a great job, and your right we gotta keep you well feed. To bad we our an hour apart other wise Id bethere with food daily
:cry:

Okay so Jai stopped by, didn't bring no food:sad: but did leave some goodies for the growout. I have to take pics and add. Hopefully tonight before I shut the lights off. Since he was here he helped me test the water (we both had trouble with the Mag but thanks to him we figured it out. Magnesium has fallen but that's because I've only been dosing the minimum of everything and trying to figure out what's best for the bio load that I have. I'll increase the dosage and test again on Tuesday or Wed. Ph is a little higher then I usually get. I believe that it has to do with the time of the day. I usually test early in the morning but today I did late in the day. Definitely going to have to read more into chemistry but once I get the dosage down, things should be sweet and steady + the bio load has increased by a bunch since I've gotten so many new frags added for the growout. I have a feeling it's going to take me a couple of weeks to get the right dosage down. Need to take things slow and easy. Water change is going to be scheduled for monday or tues because I hurt my back :(

Calcium 1450 steady as she goes
Magnesium 1250 have been dosing less but will increase tonight
Ph 8.1-8.2 It's up a couple of points from my last 2 tests but that may be due to the time taken
alk 7.5 alk seems a little low and I'll be increasing the dosage just a bit

salinity steady at 1026-1027 temps steady at 81-82

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jai brought over some gems to add to our growout. Very nice looking pieces and as usual, my pictures don't do them justice. Remember that they are in a new system and still stressed. So are the favias and palys but I believe the photos show them to be healthy and beautiful. Mike from Sexy corals hooked it up nice. I ordered 2-3 heads and he sent 5-6 heads instead. On top of that he threw in a nice sized Purple war coral freebie!

Sexy Corals Purple War coral (freebie from Mike and my contribution) Thanks Mike!

041.jpg

Sexy Corals Flamethrower favia ( my contribution) My lights are very white (for growth) and don't do this piece justice.

046.jpg

(Sexy Corals picture and what to look forward to when it colors up)

ftfav.jpg

Ktar freebie Purple Poison palys (thanks Kien!)

038.jpg

Ktar freebie, Peachie Keen palys

047-1.jpg

OG Golden Banshee (lps1212 contribution to growout) Thanks Jai!

049.jpg

Lps1212 contribution (name to be filled later)

043.jpg

044.jpg

Lps1212 contribution, JC Cigars Orange Sherbert

050.jpg

Lps 1212 another super sweet contribution, Thanks again Jai. Beautiful additions!

053.jpg

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you serious, Ohmy god those are great corals, Im shoocked! Thank you Jai. and thanks you Frank. And thank you Dan.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the compliment Bill as for the OG Golden Banshee it looks hurt because it was stung I'm sure it will bounce back as I have seen worst comeback Frank just has to do a little bit of hospitalizing :wink:

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget about it! I can't wait until Dan adds the last few pieces from J.Fox. Absolutley amazing! Convict (little bit of white around one eye, from shipping), Doomsday (a little discolored from shipping) and Sexy corals pink flame (receded a bit and grew algae from shipping, small piece) are worrying me a little because they show a little stress from shipping. I have them all in the shade and hopefully they should bounce back and stabalize after being in my tank for a few days. They are all eating (always a good sign) and should get better after some tender care (fingers crossed). Jai came over and saw all of them through the magnifying glass so he can comment on them for himself. I'm like a worried mother taking care of all these little children. The Goku is now stable. I truly thought this piece wasn't going to make it. It lost about 50% of it's mass since it came in. Now that it's stable, hopefully we'll see some growth out of it. Everything else looks great and is flourishing. I also got the arc wanted and orange immolation to eat last night :angel: The trickiest part of this growout is finding the sweet spot for each of them. I bought another frag rack so I can arrange the pieces better and give some of them less light and flow. Any concerns I have I will post immediately so there will be no surprises as to any pieces health.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank I wouldn't worry about the goku seems to be puffy and stabelized :bigsmile: as for the convict keep an eye on it that is the only gem I would be the most concerned about just cause of its history :sad:. As for all the others they all seem happy and puffy I'm sure the banshee will also comeback once it acclimates to your tank should look good once it does than you can do a before and after shot on that jewel :wink:

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dam those pieces are nice jae andsome nice peices you got there as well frank i just got back from md and for some reason the rainbow nabula really grew so im goin to cut it this weekend into 4s and let it grow out and im hoping to pick the other pieces up saterday but we will see how that goes
thanks
guys

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dan appreciate the kind words and I can't wait to see the new additions that are comin in :tongue::tongue:

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium - 450
Magnesium 1250-1300
Alk - 7.5
PH - 8.2
Salinity - 1.026

Calcium is perfect, Magnesium is slowly getting raised to the levels I want (I increased dosage), Alk is a little low but has been steady so I'm not looking to make any drastic changes to raise it. I did however raise the ph by simply opening the window next to the tank and getting more fresh air to the area. Hopefully the next time I test, I'll have the magnesium back up to 1400 and above. Everything is looking good. 1 new eye on the Bahama Mama (now 4 eyes). Unfortunately, it can't be fragged because of the shape of the colony (it's like a hill or a mound, not flat). The extra eyes popping up are very encouraging however and within no time, we should be able to start fragging some of these pieces. The arc wanted is the only piece worrying me right now. It seems a little stressed and still hasn't adjusted to my system properly. The color is a little off and it is still showing a couple of tiny white spots. The convict along with every other piece are all looking fine and have adjusted. The nicest piece imo is the rainbow magic. Very large frag, colors look amazing and it has adjusted well to my lighting schedule and tank param.. They are all eating well now, even though the smaller ones can't fit the pieces into their mouths. That's it for now and next update will be on Saturday morning when I test again. Thanks, Frank.

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for your post, great news. I think I found why I was losing acans, My mag float had a scrapper attachment on it with a blade, Well I looked at the blade and it was full of rust, dripping off and this is the part that goes in the water

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job thus far guys! Good to see one of these working out so well thus far. Good communication is key and by the time you guys finish adding all of these freebies, you will each have about 60 chalices! lol. Awesome to read and fun to follow. Keep up the good work! : )

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for your post, great news. I think I found why I was losing acans, My mag float had a scrapper attachment on it with a blade, Well I looked at the blade and it was full of rust, dripping off and this is the part that goes in the water

Wow what a bumer Bill glad to hear you solved the problem I believe I have those mag float's ill have to check mines out as for the growout your doing a heck of a great job Frank and your rite soccerbag communication is key and we definetly communicate amongst each other I loook forward to haveing 60 beauties :bigsmile:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back