The saddest fish I've ever seen, but what is it? *warning* sad photos

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a disclaimer : This is not my fish, nor is it my friends fish. Her friend got it from someone who had neglected their tank for years. Called it a blue tang. It's obviously some sort of Angel.

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

I was actually going to recommend nothing / euthanizing this poor guy however he is actually eating. Given that he was in a neglected tank with other clownfish I would guess this is a SEVERE bacterial infection. Since being moved to my friends tank (its in her spare tank, I wouldn't call it a frag tank but its a fishless system). Shes been feeding him various foods and he's responded well and has coloured up. Still if somehow he survives he will no doubt have permanent damage.

This to me is basically a case of animal abuse but the fish is no longer with the owner. I've recommended Melafix since it's about all we can get locally. I am hesitant to say order some antibiotics since I feel like the fish could go at anytime. That being said it is looking a bit better so maybe he will make it and she can paint the front of her tank black and keep him for years to come. Kidding of course, but what species is this? I've seen countless 100s of species of fish and never had so much trouble identifying one.

Other than an ID has anyone ever seen a fish in such sad shape? Any tips?
thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on Koran angelfish - and I'm surprised it's swimming!

Because it _is_ swimming and eating, I'm actually inclined to suggest that this isn't bacterial, but rather an extreme case of Head & Lateral Line Erosion, or HLLE. Pristine water conditions and healthy, hearty nutrition will go a long way toward helping this guy out, but I'd have to say that there will be some scarring that'll be permanent. Selcon and Zoecon are vitamin / HUFA supplements that you should look into as well.

Gonna page @Humblefish, @melypr1985, @Big G and @HotRocks to get some of the best eyes in the business on this fellow.

~Bruce

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the ID everyone. Koran was my first thought too but the fish is looking so bad it was hard to look past the disfigurement.

As far as I know the fish was neglected for years. Really sad but it has a chance.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the ID everyone. Koran was my first thought too but the fish is looking so bad it was hard to look past the disfigurement.

As far as I know the fish was neglected for years. Really sad but it has a chance.

If it's eating, it has a chance.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is a tough one. I have to agree with @Maritimer here. Definitely a very severe case of HLLE. I would highly recommend getting Zoecon ASAP and soaking whatever food the fish is willing to eat with it. This fish will likely never recover to a pretty state again, but may possibly recover to a happy life.

Let's see what the others say, it may be worth treating this fish with some NFG or Kanaplex, just based on the fin deterioration.

A bath in acriflavine would also not be a bad idea IMO.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can someone just do this to an animal!?
I've seen worse over the years, but I still can't understand why? or how?

I'd rather give it for free to someone or a shop, than just seeing it like this!!! SHAME!!

Should have been given away years ago. If this was a dog or cat they would be charged. This is long term neglect.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been given away years ago. If this was a dog or cat they would be charged. This is long term neglect.
Well, props to you buddy for doing the RIGHT thing!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is a tough one. I have to agree with @Maritimer here. Definitely a very severe case of HLLE. I would highly recommend getting Zoecon ASAP and soaking whatever food the fish is willing to eat with it. This fish will likely never recover to a pretty state again, but may possibly recover to a happy life.

Let's see what the others say, it may be worth treating this fish with some NFG or Kanaplex, just based on the fin deterioration.

A bath in acriflavine would also not be a bad idea IMO.
I could not agree more. This is definitely a Koran angel, as mentioned by other users.

This is horrific to look at it. I’m amazed it’s still alive.

That fish is
1BB669B4-868C-441D-B9EF-3255DBB8BFFF.jpeg

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, it's actually my friend who is taking care of the fish. I don't want to take credit for her good deed, just trying to get some more opinions and help her and the fish out. She's had it a few days now and the colour and condition already looks improved so maybe just getting it out of the disgusting tank it came from is helping. (I didn't see the tank but can only assume given this poor guy was in there without the owners being concerned).

If the condition improves I'll post some more pictures. Either way thanks for the encouraging words.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way to get some good food, rich with vitamins and what the fish needs is to make a "fish smoothie" inspired by our friend @jsker. Get a variety of frozen fish cubes: chopped clams, seaweed, mysis, and one that says it is for angels (it will have sponges and other foods that are natural feed for angels), etc. Place one of each in a tupperware in your fridge to "slump." Add a few drops of Zoecon vitamins. It's made specifically to help with HLLE. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. Several small feeds spread out throughout the day is much easier on the fish's digestive system. Best of luck helping this poor fish. Let us know how we can help.

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is HLLD it will require a couple of months eating Nori (seaweed). Im really not sure though that it is but it's hard to tell from what we are seeing. The tail fin looks more like it has been attacked by other fish and you will usually see holes around the head area if HLLD. Whatever it is it should be held in QT for quite some time. Good luck.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, it's actually my friend who is taking care of the fish. I don't want to take credit for her good deed, just trying to get some more opinions and help her and the fish out. She's had it a few days now and the colour and condition already looks improved so maybe just getting it out of the disgusting tank it came from is helping. (I didn't see the tank but can only assume given this poor guy was in there without the owners being concerned).

If the condition improves I'll post some more pictures. Either way thanks for the encouraging words.

Major props! It can be done. I took a neglected yellow tang (could only see bones/most fins gone) and a regal tang with almost no blue. Nursed them for 2 years, then donated to a place that grows coral in 5,000 g vats. That's been ~9 years ago and they are fat and happy; just not real pretty. I admire your friend for taking this on.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back