The saddest fish I've ever seen, but what is it? *warning* sad photos

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more. This is definitely a Koran angel, as mentioned by other users.

This is horrific to look at it. I’m amazed it’s still alive.

That fish is
1BB669B4-868C-441D-B9EF-3255DBB8BFFF.jpeg

10972aa9e42ff59f2dab681eac418cdd.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you for being a good person and doing your best to help this fish.

I really hope he makes it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is doing better but it will be tough to find it an appropriately sized tank to live out the rest of it's life. My friend still has him and her photos are beyond terrible so next time I'm there I will take some new pics. I am curious to see it myself.
Is there anyone near you guys that could take him? Or a LFS that might adopt it? Maybe someone on here lives close by and has a tank they could put it in? Maybe worth asking around. Thanks for the update and hope you will post pictures. Pretty cool it is still alive. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone near you guys that could take him? Or a LFS that might adopt it? Maybe someone on here lives close by and has a tank they could put it in? Maybe worth asking around. Thanks for the update and hope you will post pictures. Pretty cool it is still alive. Thanks for sharing

There are no LFS and very few local reefers. She's actually my only reefer friend out here, and I've only met a couple other people in the hobby here. It's really middle of no where. Even good people food is hard to find, forget about fish food. Everything has to be ordered or drive all day to get. I have enough trouble finding homes for adorable feral kittens (see my post on lounge) In less than 2 years of country living I've given away 11 kittens + adopted one. When cute fuzzy babies have a hard time finding homes, you can forget about disfigured non reef safe fish.

Anyway I went to visit her today the fish is looking substantially better yet still significantly disfigured. The best news is it will eventually go to a 140 gallon reef which given the state of it's fins should be a big enough forever home. I think it's just a softy tank so no concern about eating corals. Frankly I was concerned I'd have to take it off her hands as I do have a larger empty tank to use then it's currently housed in. She's been feeding him a ton, and even given him the opportunity to eat some corals yet he hasn't gone that route.

To make it easier for comparison here is the first picture

img_0885-jpg.754739

Here is today :

IMG_8744.JPG

There is a lot of new growth and in another few months hopefully he will just look like he's been in a bad fight and not neglected for years. Given that it's been a few months and he is getting better, I don't see any reason why he won't live a number of years even if a normal life is out of the question. Still really bothers me that someone would let a fish get this bad and not seek out help. Again there isn't much a community out here but in what 30 seconds you can setup a reef2reef account and another 2 minutes to post looking for help?

This is as happy as an ending as can be expected. I'm not sure when the fish is going to make the move, but if I do see him again I'll post an updated photo, or perhaps the fishes final owner will have better photography skills then me friend.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no LFS and very few local reefers. She's actually my only reefer friend out here, and I've only met a couple other people in the hobby here. It's really middle of no where. Even good people food is hard to find, forget about fish food. Everything has to be ordered or drive all day to get. I have enough trouble finding homes for adorable feral kittens (see my post on lounge) In less than 2 years of country living I've given away 11 kittens + adopted one. When cute fuzzy babies have a hard time finding homes, you can forget about disfigured non reef safe fish.

Anyway I went to visit her today the fish is looking substantially better yet still significantly disfigured. The best news is it will eventually go to a 140 gallon reef which given the state of it's fins should be a big enough forever home. I think it's just a softy tank so no concern about eating corals. Frankly I was concerned I'd have to take it off her hands as I do have a larger empty tank to use then it's currently housed in. She's been feeding him a ton, and even given him the opportunity to eat some corals yet he hasn't gone that route.

img_0885-jpg.754739

Here is today :

IMG_8744.JPG

There is a lot of new growth and in another few months hopefully he will just look like he's been in a bad fight and not neglected for years. Given that it's been a few months and he is getting better, I don't see any reason why he won't live a number of years even if a normal life is out of the question. Still really bothers me that someone would let a fish get this bad and not seek out help. Again there isn't much a community out here but in what 30 seconds you can setup a reef2reef account and another 2 minutes to post looking for help?

This is as happy as an ending as can be expected. I'm not sure when the fish is going to make the move, but if I do see him again I'll post an updated photo, or perhaps the fishes final owner will have better photography skills then me friend.
Thank you so Much for the update. I know many people were hopeful for the poor fish. It looks much better starting to get some color back and fill in, not so skinny. I’m so
Glad you found him a home. I would have taken him if it were closer but Ontario is a long way from us. Just makes you sick to see animals miss treated or not fed.
Funny you mentioned kittens, we have taken in 14 sick kittens and cats and gotten them treatment, fixed and given them forever home. We our down to 12 d/t old age. It’s a lot of work and money taking care of them and our tanks. We have 300gal reef, 180gal fish only with a Koran angel like this one and a 93gal we just set up to separate a couple of tangs from the 300 that weren’t getting along with the others. Instead of getting rid of the tangs, I just bought them a new home. No new car for
Us anytime soon. But that’s ok we love the animals and fins! Thank you for what you do also. Wishing you and your friend the best. Nice to see people do care.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so Much for the update. I know many people were hopeful for the poor fish. It looks much better starting to get some color back and fill in, not so skinny. I’m so
Glad you found him a home. I would have taken him if it were closer but Ontario is a long way from us. Just makes you sick to see animals miss treated or not fed.
Funny you mentioned kittens, we have taken in 14 sick kittens and cats and gotten them treatment, fixed and given them forever home. We our down to 12 d/t old age. It’s a lot of work and money taking care of them and our tanks. We have 300gal reef, 180gal fish only with a Koran angel like this one and a 93gal we just set up to separate a couple of tangs from the 300 that weren’t getting along with the others. Instead of getting rid of the tangs, I just bought them a new home. No new car for
Us anytime soon. But that’s ok we love the animals and fins! Thank you for what you do also. Wishing you and your friend the best. Nice to see people do care.

img_0885-jpg.754739

Here is today :

IMG_8744.JPG

Just a question, where there other fish in the tank with the Koran when your friend rescued it? If so I hope those where in better shape.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great News ! the before & now pics are really great. So how long before it goes to another tank ? Please consider this fish isn't strong enough to adapt to new tank ! Not even the LFS, No way not yet ! It's made great progress & You & your friend have managed to do just about the impossible ! He is better off right where he is for now !

Last edited:
OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RtomKinMad that's amazing! I wish I could get all of them fixed myself but cost is just too much. Additionally there are no spay and release programs or even discounted programs. Some have gone to humane society and some have gone straight to homes. The humane society did a great job with the older feral kittens spending months with them until they were ready to be adopted out.

Anyway back to the fish, I believe the only other fish was a clown fish. What happened was the person was finally tearing down their tank, no idea what happened to the algae covered rocks / random soft corals that somehow survived but they either sold or gave away the clown with the condition of taking this "blue tang" too. It's pretty common here for people to not be very informed about species but nothing like this.

As for a time line there is no time line, but given his state of recovery I would say it could be a year before he's ready for a tank where he has to compete for food. Basically when the fish is ready it will go to a bigger tank. Who knows though, there is hope he will recover faster.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, poor fish! I’m glad to see he’s doing better. I’m sure growth is stunted, those eyes and fins tell me he is most likely to not do any significant growing any longer. Good on your friend for the rescue. Hoping to see more improvements soon.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RtomKinMad that's amazing! I wish I could get all of them fixed myself but cost is just too much. Additionally there are no spay and release programs or even discounted programs. Some have gone to humane society and some have gone straight to homes. The humane society did a great job with the older feral kittens spending months with them until they were ready to be adopted out.

Anyway back to the fish, I believe the only other fish was a clown fish. What happened was the person was finally tearing down their tank, no idea what happened to the algae covered rocks / random soft corals that somehow survived but they either sold or gave away the clown with the condition of taking this "blue tang" too. It's pretty common here for people to not be very informed about species but nothing like this.

As for a time line there is no time line, but given his state of recovery I would say it could be a year before he's ready for a tank where he has to compete for food. Basically when the fish is ready it will go to a bigger tank. Who knows though, there is hope he will recover faster.
Which part of Ontario are u at? I know it’s very large area. We are going to Toronto in October for two nights and driving to Nigra Falls through Canada. I’m not that familiar with your territories though. We live in Wisconsin. We are very lucky to have a large number of reefs here and several stores in Milwaukee. We live in Green Bay and have only one LFS left. But we have an awesome LFS an hour from us and 1mile from my husbands work.the owner has even come to our house to help with a filtration problem and just check everything over for us. He’s amazing and cares about the animals. He won’t sell something unless he knows the tanks will work for the fish/coral and he won’t sell stuff you don’t need. He takes in return fish also. We have bought several returned fish 10+ years old and they are my favorites esp the Koran angel.

Thank goodness we found a country vet that gives us a good deal since we also have three dogs-2 rescued. She also makes house calls. All our animals go to the vet. Dogs once a year and as needed and we rotate the cats based on age and need. We got them all over the last 12 years. We had to stop though because our time and house were suffering. Cats can be difficult in a group! Now I just rescue and take to the human society that is no kill and then donate money. My vet will neuter for about 100$. Not to bad. It’s nice to talk to another person who cares about animals.
Here’s a picture of two of the kittens we rescued a year apart. Both really sick when we got them.
Otis is watching the reef in morning which he does every morning and the other is tucker watching me get ready this morning and drinking my sink water!
Thank you again for sharing about the tank and fish. I hope the clown fish is okay too. I’d like to think the previous person just didn’t have the resources or knowledge to know what to do. Sometimes things happen in people’s lives that they get stuck and don’t know what to do. We can hope this is the case here to not just deliberate negligence. Hope you have a nice day and enjoy my kitty pictures!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part of Ontario are u at? I know it’s very large area. We are going to Toronto in October for two nights and driving to Nigra Falls through Canada. I’m not that familiar with your territories though. We live in Wisconsin. We are very lucky to have a large number of reefs here and several stores in Milwaukee. We live in Green Bay and have only one LFS left. But we have an awesome LFS an hour from us and 1mile from my husbands work.the owner has even come to our house to help with a filtration problem and just check everything over for us. He’s amazing and cares about the animals. He won’t sell something unless he knows the tanks will work for the fish/coral and he won’t sell stuff you don’t need. He takes in return fish also. We have bought several returned fish 10+ years old and they are my favorites esp the Koran angel.

Thank goodness we found a country vet that gives us a good deal since we also have three dogs-2 rescued. She also makes house calls. All our animals go to the vet. Dogs once a year and as needed and we rotate the cats based on age and need. We got them all over the last 12 years. We had to stop though because our time and house were suffering. Cats can be difficult in a group! Now I just rescue and take to the human society that is no kill and then donate money. My vet will neuter for about 100$. Not to bad. It’s nice to talk to another person who cares about animals.
Here’s a picture of two of the kittens we rescued a year apart. Both really sick when we got them.
Otis is watching the reef in morning which he does every morning and the other is tucker watching me get ready this morning and drinking my sink water!
Thank you again for sharing about the tank and fish. I hope the clown fish is okay too. I’d like to think the previous person just didn’t have the resources or knowledge to know what to do. Sometimes things happen in people’s lives that they get stuck and don’t know what to do. We can hope this is the case here to not just deliberate negligence. Hope you have a nice day and enjoy my kitty pictures!
Sorry my pictures of kitties won’t upload today. Too bad they are cute!

A01896A6-3221-47FE-9599-31BB2E24C472.jpeg

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live out in the middle of no where on an island (st joseph) on lake Huron. I can see Michigan from my house and I'm 3+hrs from the nearest reef store 6+ from the nearest good one. I've only been here for 2 years and it's not really been what I expected. Prior to this I lived my whole life in a Toronto suburb with a population of 600k 30 minutes from Toronto. It's a long story how we ended up here but the deciding factors were cost and lifestyle change. While cost for owning a home here is great. I thought we'd end up becoming outdoors people and stuff like that instead of monitoring our internet usage daily to ensure we don't go too far over our crappy rural plans.

For the one kitten I'm keeping it's about $400 all in for neuter rabies shots deworm ect. Spread over 3-4 visits so it's not too bad but no vets are willing to help with the parents. We will have to decide what to do about them soon. The mom would also need an ultrasound I believe to ensure she is not pregnant again before being spayed. There are low cost places that will do everything for about $100 but they are hours away. - One kitten is fine with us since he's now ours and we take responsibility for his well being, but we could not pay for them all.

Not sure how much time you have on your road trip but I can recommend several LFS to stop in that would be on your way. Obviously you can't buy but a few of them are worth visiting just to check out live stock. Also Ripleys Aquarium in Toronto is pretty good but if you've been to another Ripleys they are pretty similar.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so glad you kept one of the kittens. We taken as many as we could afford but a lifetime of care is expensive, believe me we understand. Sounds like you live in a really nice place. We like the quiet and rural areas. Would like to be more outdoorsy too but never find the time. Is there work by you? In the US there is not much work in the rural areas. We live 25 min north of Green Bay. We Lov it and it’s cheap to live in Wisconsin.
We do plan to stop by the aquarium in Toronto. We try to go to every one when we travel. And have never been to a Ripleys aquarium before. Every time we travel we try also to visit LFS to see what different areas have. We went to Florida this year and skipped Disney to see WWC. We actually shipped some coral home.
We would appreciate suggestions of where we should stop. Thank you. We only found one store in Boston last year and thought Wisconsin has much better options. We are actually at a Brewers game in Milwaukee today (hasn’t started yet!) and plan to stop at a large LFS we like here. What kind of tank do you have. We want to move in 5 yrs and wonder how we will move our tanks. We have a 2 story house and want a single story before we retire. Nice chatting with you. Post pictures if you have time!

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thank your friend for saving this fish! He wont ever be a true beauty now but my heart would swell with joy every time I looked at him, knowing he was saved.

That said, +1 on HLLE and soaking pellet and frozen foods in a bit of selcon or selco (same as selcon but has a bit of garlic in it to help with stimulating the appetite). You can also smear it on seaweed which I would also offer since this is an angel.

Voracious eating of nutritious food is what will save this baby and reverse some of the HLLE. I've seen some gnarly cases of HLLE almost come back to normal.

Also gonna diverge with a lot of ppl here and agree that melafix for a while might not be a bad idea because he seems to have some fun rot going on, which can definitely happen in bad water conditions. If you do decide to treat (fin rot may clear up now that he's in good water), I've used api eurythromiacin (sp?) on fw fish fir fin rot with good success.

Best of luck to you, your friend and this fish, who clearly has a lot if fight on it. ❤

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! That is a tough little guy! :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back