The Secret to Coralline In New Tanks

What do you think is the best method? Please post results if possible.

• Seed with Rock?

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Seed with Bottled?

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Seed with Powder/Dried spores?

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Don't seed do "This"?

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of looking into Coralline and Coralline growth recently.

Seems to be a topic some reefers struggle with for years, and some not so much.

For certain one thing that for me is a must is you MUST have favorable water conditions similar to that of any encrusting corals SPS, Plates, Chalice, etc etc.

Based on your experiences what have you found to be the most successful seeding of Coralline to get it going?

For me I've always had insane Coralline results with seeding ROCK vs bottled or other methods. Also key has been to ensure that piece of rock with coralline is touching another rock.

Here's my current JBJ45 with just a few months on the clock.

It's a constant newbie post here asking "HOW DO I GET, OR GROW, or etc etc
CORALLINE??" And I wanted to possibly post a good thread for future references to come.

Let me know what you guys think, or what you've found and with what success.

Here's a contrasct shot of the underside of my rock and how it looked originally before Coralline growth, and on top where there's light you can see all the coralline
IMG_0112.jpeg

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the bottle route. Couldn’t really tell it did anything to be honest. After introducing a few frag plugs and snails with coralline, that’s when it started to take off. I think seeding this way is the most effective route, aside from throwing a large chunk of coralline covered rock in there. Bottled scrapings from established tank works well too.:)

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eventually grow, imhe I think it comes to stable alk and calcium levels, and a seasoned tank of course like at least a few months old

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting observation from my 7+ year old tank is that it grew pink and purple coralline algae. The back and sides of the tank became very encrusted, but the rock encrusting was only spotty.

A couple months ago, I switched from a DIY led setup to a Kessil and more recently switched salts from IO Reef to Neomarine. I'm not sure which impacted the algae, but the coralline algae on the upper sides and back of my tank bleached out and disappeared but I'm getting more growth in shaded areas. Rocks are still just spotty.

I'm not sure all coralline algae are the same. I'm betting different ones do better based on your tank setup.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting observation from my 7+ year old tank is that it grew pink and purple coralline algae. The back and sides of the tank became very encrusted, but the rock encrusting was only spotty.

A couple months ago, I switched from a DIY led setup to a Kessil and more recently switched salts from IO Reef to Neomarine. I'm not sure which impacted the algae, but the coralline algae on the upper sides and back of my tank bleached out and disappeared but I'm getting more growth in shaded areas. Rocks are still just spotty.

I'm not sure all coralline algae are the same. I'm betting different ones do better based on your tank setup.
Imhe coraline does not grow in very bright areas. It grows in medium to low light but has to be areas of high flow. That explains why it bleached on the sides and back because the stronger light bleached it out. It is no wonder than a lot of people with stable systems and not so strong light grow coraline like crazy. I only have it on the bare bottom glass, further up in the tank is too bright.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used bleached rock so my coralline came from a zoa rock and from a few snails. it's only been a month or 2 and I've got green coralline already on my glass

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magic. Maintain water parameters that encourage calcification and turn up the white lights. Sorry, no secret sauce. Blues won’t do it alone.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 4 of the bottle starters. got nothing.
I started seeing coralline after adding frags that had it on the plugs and getting scrapings off the glass from the LFS.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of looking into Coralline and Coralline growth recently.

Seems to be a topic some reefers struggle with for years, and some not so much.

For certain one thing that for me is a must is you MUST have favorable water conditions similar to that of any encrusting corals SPS, Plates, Chalice, etc etc.

Based on your experiences what have you found to be the most successful seeding of Coralline to get it going?

For me I've always had insane Coralline results with seeding ROCK vs bottled or other methods. Also key has been to ensure that piece of rock with coralline is touching another rock.

Here's my current JBJ45 with just a few months on the clock.

It's a constant newbie post here asking "HOW DO I GET, OR GROW, or etc etc
CORALLINE??" And I wanted to possibly post a good thread for future references to come.

Let me know what you guys think, or what you've found and with what success.

Here's a contrasct shot of the underside of my rock and how it looked originally before Coralline growth, and on top where there's light you can see all the coralline
IMG_0112.jpeg
It won't grow unless water and light are ready.
Spores accelerate the process, when about e conditions are suitable.

20200902_181510.jpg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some coralline into a blender and then disperse into tank. Then maintain constant major perimeters. However when you have to constantly scrap it off the glass and deep soak your equipment you will wish you did not have it

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back