The Silver Linings Tank Thread, or "My 180G Build"

BrandonR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I go to Atlanta if I want to shop. Reef Life is OK for fish, coral selection is REALLY basic. Reef Shac in Marietta is probably a better bet for ya.
Yep, Shac is my guy as well... just trying to spread my area a little more. I only have 3 shops I will go to.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So making some progress. Finished the sump stand last weekend in anticipation of picking the sump up from Synergy Reef this week. Simple 2x4 construction with 3/4" marine grade plywood top. Finished it with a couple coats of Thompson's Water Seal.

image by Peter Young, on Flickr

Then picked up the sump from Synergy yesterday. Big shout out to @mixer911 and Vanessa for the beautiful sump. TS-60 Triton style sump. Really hard to get a good picture of that thing (black/red with smoke panels) so I put the Vertex in it for perspective.

Got a full sheet of the foam padding from BRS. 18" wide piece goes under the sump and then 24" under the tank (when it shows up).

Starting to really feel like something is happening.

Now for the pictures from the temporary tank.

@WWC Maui Sunset, sorry it's a little blurry, had to take a sharp angle through the glass to get over the Bowerbanki in front of it.

maui sunset-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Poinsettia Favia (Reef Gen)

Poinsettia-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr

@WWC Scarface zoas

scarface top by Peter Young, on Flickr

Avenger Chalice

avenger-8 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!!

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build! The rock is amazing among other great things! Just out of curiosity, who was the home owners insurance with?

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! The rock is amazing among other great things! Just out of curiosity, who was the home owners insurance with?
And you are right on about the rock. Looks like they have permanently shut down the Fiji rock, this stuff is like gold now.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is DONE!! I'm going to be at the Hangout Music Fest this weekend, so I'm having Miracle's ship at the end of the week. Here are some shop pics they sent me (without the starboard bottom installed).
IMG_1015 by Peter Young, on Flickr

IMG_1016 by Peter Young, on Flickr

IMG_1017 by Peter Young, on Flickr

The way this is going I'm feeling extrememly doubtful about getting this system plumbed, tested, and running before we leave for our big family trip to Australia in early June but at least everything will be here waiting when I get back (oh yeah, 3 day liveaboard on the Great Barrier Reef is the highlight of the trip).

Stay tuned, been a little busy and haven't shot much in the 75.

Ding Dang

ding dang by Peter Young, on Flickr

Some @WWC Banana Boom Chalice

banana boom by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks beautiful!! Congratulations

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, time for another update. Tank was delivered to the freight depot Tuesday. I got 6 buddies lined up for Friday morning and borrowed my Father-in-Law's truck Thursday and drove across town to pick her up. 800 lbs total with crate. Thank goodness for modern technology and friendly freight folks.

I'd been a little anxious because of the overflow holes in the back. There had been a mistake on the initial drawings. They had drawn/designed for a Ghost overflow and I had a Synergy Reef Shadow. My man Rick @mixer911 at Synergy went over the drawing, caught it, and sent me a revised drawing. Miracles assured me they had fixed it. None the less, I'd been lying awake at nights imagining the worst, so first thing I did when I got home was pop the top off the crate and check with the Shadow template.

Really?!?! The holes were too far apart to allow the overflow pipes to penetrate the tank wall. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Not ashamed to say I lost my **** for a time there. I mean I was literally about to throw up. It was pretty late in the day (4:30 CST) but I took a couple pictures and sent them to Miracles and asked them to call me in the morning. They responded pretty quickly with some back and forth, asking if I'd actually tried to insert the overflow (I'd sent the pics above of the template). Turns out they had made corrections to the drawing, but those corrections hadn't made it to the shop floor. At that point I said "let's talk tomorrow when I've had a chance to cool down". I will shorten a long story by saying Miracles offered to send me a Ghost overflow or build me a new tank. I don't want to start an overflow discussion here, but I picked the overflow I wanted for good reasons and I'd already bought $900 in schedule 80 1.5" fittings. After several attempts to get me to accept alternate overflows they agreed to take it back and rebuild it the right way. Fortunately I hadn't done anything to the crating except slide the metal banding off the top and remove the top so I was able to re-crate it. I was thrilled to get to drive all the way back to the freight depot (an hour) and then drive home at 5pm on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend (2 hrs), but I was able to get it unloaded and get my Father-in-Law's truck back to him.

So, now I'm trying to remember the title of this build thread. What's the silver lining here? Hmmmm. Well, I'm about to leave the country for 3 weeks. My plan was to plumb and hydro-test the system, then wait till I got back to aquascape and fill for real. Maybe this give me time to get ready for Australia instead of freaking out trying to finish plumbing etc. Sure, I'll go with that.

Haven't really shot much of the 75G lately, just one new shot of this crazy @WWC Maui Sunset. A little blurry cause of the angle I have to take through the glass, but it is spectacular.

maui by Peter Young, on Flickr

As always, thanks for looking and hope everyone enjoys the long weekend.

P

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Literally a nightmare. You wait so long for the tank to arrive and upon receipt, something is wrong. Not just wrong but beyond correction. Chalk it up to another lesson in patience via the reefing hobby.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally a nightmare. You wait so long for the tank to arrive and upon receipt, something is wrong. Not just wrong but beyond correction. Chalk it up to another lesson in patience via the reefing hobby.
Nightmare indeed. For weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep worrying about something like this. I am surely learning more about patience than I ever would have imagined.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, update time. Tank has been ready for a couple weeks, but I've been traveling so had them hold off on shipping. Gave the go ahead last week and the tank arrived at the depot Thursday. The folks at ABF freight know me now. They were joking about shipping this one back in an envelope if it wasn't right. I laughed along, but inside I was really worried. So I went around back in the pickup and they found a guy to load it for me.

As he was setting it down I noticed it looked like the tank had shifted during transit. You could see the foam that it had been sitting on, and the tank had slid off to one side. Looked like it had been tilted or (gulp) taken a hit on one side.

Well, I didn't have tools to un-crate it right there so I decided to get it home and see what I could see. I had a conference call as soon as I got home, but I couldn't focus very well. I kept thinking about "are the holes drilled right", "Is it in a million pieces", "could I really get hosed again". After an eternity (30 min) I got off the phone and got the tools out and got busy. It didn't really take me long, I'm experienced now in taking these crates apart. Here's what I saw.

Hmmmm, well it was definitely not where it had been when it was packed. Was this a problem? There was no obvious mechanical damage. The corner brace was a little wonky, but after further inspection I felt it was really just a case of craftsmanship. The bottom wasn't flush, but there was also no sign of stretch or movement on the silicone, no shift in the panels, no sign of impact anywhere. I shot a quick email off to Miracles to ask for their input, but no response (it was 4:00 Friday so I didn't really expect one).

My other big worry was the overflow holes. Would the be right? Did they use the template or at least the right drawing? Whew, it fit. YAY!!!! So, I had a bunch of my buddies lined up to come Sat morning to help me move this beast. 600 lbs of glass, 25' from the front door to the stand. I'd been obsessing over the details for weeks. How to get it out of the truck, into the house, onto the stand etc........ Pays to have some good friends.

It went really smoothly. 8 guys can move a lot of weight. Sweet, amazing amount of stress now gone. I also have begun some preliminary plumbing. Set the overflow box plumbing up. Thanks to @mixer911 Rick for great video on plumbing the shadow external box. And I gotta say, the right tools make all the difference. I've always used one of those hand PVC cutters, but borrowed a sliding miter saw from one of my buddies (who also helped move the tank, true friend) and my father-in-laws router table for chamfering the pipe. WOW!! talk about time savers, and better results.

cement only, no primer

Lots more plumbing to come..... Been a while so I'll post some chalice pics from the 75G to keep ya coming back.

area 51-7 by Peter Young, on Flickr
Avenger-9 by Peter Young, on Flickr
Nachocheese by Peter Young, on Flickr
oblivion-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr
hotstuff-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr
Chemicalreaction by Peter Young, on Flickr

alright, one acro
striptease by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been getting some plumbing together. My buddy is coming over in the morning to help me with the penetrations through the cabinet and floor to the basement. I want to be ready to roll when we finish that.

This is the gate valve set up for the bean animal out of the Shadow overflow

Sump bulkhead from the return pump section.

Return pump (Abyzz A200) with Union and barb for Silicone tubing (will be plumbing soft tubing from return pump to the bulkhead to minimize any vibrations)

And since it's been a while (and I love sharing photos) I'll post a few pics from the 75G

@WWC Ultron
ultron-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Random Rainbow Favia
favia-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Poinsettia Favia
favia-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the penetrations for the overflow done, had to kick the center hole over a little to miss the floor joist underneath. Going to get the return penetrations drilled Thursday. Here is a pic of dry fitting the gate valve from the overflow.

And here's my Raja this morning. Colors are almost cartoonish.

Rampage-5 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Rampage-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and keep tuned. Things are (finally) starting to move.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.0%
Back