The Tidal 55 by Seachem- Review

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the saltwater hobby we often say that hang on back (HOB) filters are not meant for saltwater, that they aren’t good enough. I still believe that, but there are times when an HOB filter is just what you need. A quarantine tank for instance, or a small reef tank that a sump would be impractical on. So, if you need a hang on back filter for your saltwater application, I think I found one that you will like.
All pictures by: melypr1985
filter-a-jpg.499234

Seachem has come out with a new hang on back filter for both fresh and saltwater applications. I spent some time with the Seachem rep who took me on a tour of this filter and pretty much sold me on it. The Tidal comes in sizes good for 55 gallons, 75 gallons and 110 gallons. It’s meant to need less maintenance and to be easier to maintain when you do. Of course, we all know it’s best to keep your maintenance up to par no matter how little a product claims to need. The manual even tells you that regular maintenance is important and will greatly increase the health of your aquarium. The pump on this filter is made by Sicce which is an Italian company with great products, quality and reputation. The one I was able to get is the 55 model and I have it on a 10-gallon quarantine tank. It’s way over powered for a tank that small but with the easy adjustment on the speed of the filter, it’s perfect for what I need.

filter-b-jpg.499235

Let’s talk about the features it has. First and foremost, it has a surface skimmer. Wait a sec?! Did she say surface skimmer?! Yup. It’s a pretty cool feature to have for sure, especially in a saltwater application. It also has the same intake that every other HOB filter has, though this one is telescoping to fit more shallow tanks. The self-priming pump is attached very securely to the body of the filter. So securely, in fact, that I had a hard time taking it off. They also state that the impeller is self-cleaning, but we will have to give it some serious time in service to see if this is true. You have to take off the pump to install the intake tube, but the box that holds those parts has a handy, and easy to follow graphic on how to do this. I had it done in about 30 seconds.

filter-c-jpg.499236

There is also a clip on the side to hold a heater. It may sound like a silly addition but those suction cups don’t last long in saltwater, so a handy clip might be nice to have when that happens. Above the surface skimmer, you’ll find a dial that controls the flow rate of the filter. I found this nice and very important when I found one of my anthias stuck to the intake tube this morning. I didn’t realize how much suction was really being pulled in until that moment. I turned down the flow and now everybody else is doing just fine.

filter-d-jpg.499237

Inside the filter, you’ll find a media basket. It’s easy to get out and comes with a blue sponge and a mesh, zip up bag full of Seachem’s Matrix media. For those of you who don’t know, Matrix is a ceramic bio media that is very porous and able to hold a large amount of bacteria in a small sample. There is plenty of room inside to add other media of your choice. I chose to cut a piece of the filter pad in my sump and add it to the mix to seed the media with since it was going on a new QT. You could add anything you wanted, from a very large sponge for your QT, or purigen, carbon, ect. As I said, it’s easy to remove the basket and everything in it with the tabs on either side of the basket. The lid of the filter is designed to hold the basket right on top in the cut in and keep dripping to a minimum. I found that this was handy, but if you don’t let the basket drain enough, you’ll still get spillover.

filter-e-jpg.499238

One of the most interesting parts of this filter is the maintenance indicator on the top. It’s a little blue tube that pops up when the filters need cleaning or changing. The idea is that the filters are clogged and not allowing water to pass through them well enough to be effective. When the water backs up inside the filter it triggers this little blue tube to pop up letting you know about it. I like the idea behind that, but I haven’t seen it happen yet. I will update with that information when/if it happens.

filter-f-jpg.499239

All in all, I think this is a well-made product and I’m not worried about it breaking on me in the next month or two. I know that Sicce is a good brand and stands behind its products with a good warranty. There are some good ideas wrapped into this filter, but only time will tell if it’s really worth the money for them. They are a bit pricier than some of the other options out there at about $55 for the Tidal 55, but have the potential to be worth it. I hope to see some other reviews of this product in this thread and feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the perfect QT filter or even an improv frag tank and you couldn't be more right about the heater clip.

Exactly my thoughts. Everything about it looks just right, especially the surface skimmer section.. The SICCE pump coupled with the price being lower than an AquaClear 110 -- Pretty nice.

Another good one worth checking into is UV HOB from Aquatic Life -- It doesn't quite have all the same bells and whistles -- But an 18w UV on a say, 20g Long, isn't bad. It's priced fairly well too.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got them at my work too and I am so glad they have finally arrived! I love that the media basket can be taken out, and everything else about it really.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a great option for my 29! I currently use a HOB filter, but want one with a surface skimmer. I have limited space however. I found the dimensions online and it will fit length wise, but I'm worried about depth. I'm seeing approximately 5" of depth. What are the dimensions from the back of glass to the back of filter?

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thank you. I'm still trying to decide on a Hospital HOB. This may push me over the edge. What do you think of the Auquatop PFUV and in comparison?

Last edited:
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a great option for my 29! I currently use a HOB filter, but want one with a surface skimmer. I have limited space however. I found the dimensions online and it will fit length wise, but I'm worried about depth. I'm seeing approximately 5" of depth. What are the dimensions from the back of glass to the back of filter?

It's about a 1/2 inch in between the glass and the filter. I have this one on a ten gallon tank, so that should give you some size perspective. The 55 is the smallest they offer as yet and I'm not sure of any plans to branch out to smaller ones. I can ask the rep when she pops back into the store :)
Excellent. Thank you. I'm still trying to decide on a Hospital HOB. This may push me over the edge. What do you think of the Auquatop PFUV and in comparison?
I'm not sure about the aquatop... I've never seen one in person, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison on my part. I wouldn't worry about the UV on that filter though doing anything other than controlling algae in the water - maybe it will help some with bacterial blooms as well. I'm sure there are a couple people here that have used it though and can chime in with their experiences with it!

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my thoughts. Everything about it looks just right, especially the surface skimmer section.. The SICCE pump coupled with the price being lower than an AquaClear 110 -- Pretty nice.

These come in 3 sizes, just like the AquaClears, so make sure you're comparing apples-to-apples when comparing features and prices. The Tidal 55 should more appropriately be compared to smallest AquaClear 50 in features and price.
images (2).jpg

That being said, I do think these new Tidal filters are VERY nice ! Really like the surface skimming feature. You'd have to purchase an add-on surface skimmer in order to have that feature with the AquaClears.
Great review @melypr1985.

Last edited:

jeanne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tidal 75 on a 40 breeder and I love it!!! Keeps water crystal clear!

In the saltwater hobby we often say that hang on back (HOB) filters are not meant for saltwater, that they aren’t good enough. I still believe that, but there are times when an HOB filter is just what you need. A quarantine tank for instance, or a small reef tank that a sump would be impractical on. So, if you need a hang on back filter for your saltwater application, I think I found one that you will like.
All pictures by: melypr1985
filter-a-jpg.499234

Seachem has come out with a new hang on back filter for both fresh and saltwater applications. I spent some time with the Seachem rep who took me on a tour of this filter and pretty much sold me on it. The Tidal comes in sizes good for 55 gallons, 75 gallons and 110 gallons. It’s meant to need less maintenance and to be easier to maintain when you do. Of course, we all know it’s best to keep your maintenance up to par no matter how little a product claims to need. The manual even tells you that regular maintenance is important and will greatly increase the health of your aquarium. The pump on this filter is made by Sicce which is an Italian company with great products, quality and reputation. The one I was able to get is the 55 model and I have it on a 10-gallon quarantine tank. It’s way over powered for a tank that small but with the easy adjustment on the speed of the filter, it’s perfect for what I need.

filter-b-jpg.499235

Let’s talk about the features it has. First and foremost, it has a surface skimmer. Wait a sec?! Did she say surface skimmer?! Yup. It’s a pretty cool feature to have for sure, especially in a saltwater application. It also has the same intake that every other HOB filter has, though this one is telescoping to fit more shallow tanks. The self-priming pump is attached very securely to the body of the filter. So securely, in fact, that I had a hard time taking it off. They also state that the impeller is self-cleaning, but we will have to give it some serious time in service to see if this is true. You have to take off the pump to install the intake tube, but the box that holds those parts has a handy, and easy to follow graphic on how to do this. I had it done in about 30 seconds.

filter-c-jpg.499236

There is also a clip on the side to hold a heater. It may sound like a silly addition but those suction cups don’t last long in saltwater, so a handy clip might be nice to have when that happens. Above the surface skimmer, you’ll find a dial that controls the flow rate of the filter. I found this nice and very important when I found one of my anthias stuck to the intake tube this morning. I didn’t realize how much suction was really being pulled in until that moment. I turned down the flow and now everybody else is doing just fine.

filter-d-jpg.499237

Inside the filter, you’ll find a media basket. It’s easy to get out and comes with a blue sponge and a mesh, zip up bag full of Seachem’s Matrix media. For those of you who don’t know, Matrix is a ceramic bio media that is very porous and able to hold a large amount of bacteria in a small sample. There is plenty of room inside to add other media of your choice. I chose to cut a piece of the filter pad in my sump and add it to the mix to seed the media with since it was going on a new QT. You could add anything you wanted, from a very large sponge for your QT, or purigen, carbon, ect. As I said, it’s easy to remove the basket and everything in it with the tabs on either side of the basket. The lid of the filter is designed to hold the basket right on top in the cut in and keep dripping to a minimum. I found that this was handy, but if you don’t let the basket drain enough, you’ll still get spillover.

filter-e-jpg.499238

One of the most interesting parts of this filter is the maintenance indicator on the top. It’s a little blue tube that pops up when the filters need cleaning or changing. The idea is that the filters are clogged and not allowing water to pass through them well enough to be effective. When the water backs up inside the filter it triggers this little blue tube to pop up letting you know about it. I like the idea behind that, but I haven’t seen it happen yet. I will update with that information when/if it happens.

filter-f-jpg.499239

All in all, I think this is a well-made product and I’m not worried about it breaking on me in the next month or two. I know that Sicce is a good brand and stands behind its products with a good warranty. There are some good ideas wrapped into this filter, but only time will tell if it’s really worth the money for them. They are a bit pricier than some of the other options out there at about $55 for the Tidal 55, but have the potential to be worth it. I hope to see some other reviews of this product in this thread and feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

IMG_0290[1].JPG

IMG_0291[1].JPG

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much more complete review than mine, nicely done! I agree they are great filters with great features. One of my favorites is the nice label at the end of the power cord - always nice to know which plug is which!
Seachem Tidal HOB vs Fluval C4 - no contest

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one on my 20 gallon long reef. its extremely quite and im loving it so far.

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on a tour of the Seachem labs a few weeks ago. They are running the Tidal filters on all of their smaller office tanks in IT except for one that has an Eheim canister on it. They are truly silent. I think I'm going to get one to replace my AC70.

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the 110 to go on a 65 gallon seahorse tank. The tank is 24" deep and i need the intake to reach very close to the bottom. Any idea on the longest length you can make the intake?

Rory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is being delivered today! I got the 75 gallon size for my 40 column. I currently use an Emperor 400 on this tank but it's very old, loud and a pain to get restarted when I shut it off to feed the corals. I will update once I get it up and running!

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Tidal 75 last week for my freshwater planted tank to run along with a fluval 406. So far I have not been please with the noise. I don't believe the pump makes any noise itself but the rush of water through the media at full flow is loud. I really only got it for the surface skimmer which seems to work well so I keep my flow is relatively low. However, if you aren't worried about the skimmer then I would go with a Fluval Aquaclear for a HOB.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back