The Tidal 55 by Seachem- Review

Rory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now been running mine a few weeks on a 40 column QT tank. Had some haze in the water so I added carbon and Purigen packs to it. Now it's crystal clear! It is a bit loud from the rushing water going through it. Other than that 2 thumbs up!

IMG_3649.JPG

BoogieTimeWithJiggets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this recently and I absolutely love it! while scrubbing some brown algae i did notice that alot of it got past the sponge and was quickly covering the bag that the Matrix was in, so I did a change things around on the inside media, I got the white and blue filter/polishing pads and cut then to the same shape as the sponge and then placed one on top of the sponge, I then added a bit more matrix as there is a ton of space that is not used in the filter leaving it open to customization, and then I added a second cut out of the filter/polishing pad on top as a final touch. I got the tidal 75 but after using it I wish I had gotten the 110 as you can always adjust the flow but the extra space for even more bio or mechanical filtration would have been awesome, I might get one anyways to replace the whisper ex70 that im running in tandem with the tidal. I hands down think its the best hob filter I've found and although its a bit pricey and doesn't come with as much Matrix as it should, but the money you can save down the road using your own prefered brand of bio and mechanical filtration I think more than makes up for it.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has one of these, will the heater clip fit one of the lower wattage (50w) Eheim Jager glass heaters?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who has one of these, will the heater clip fit one of the lower wattage (50w) Eheim Jager glass heaters?

It should as long as it's round. Most of those round glass heaters are the same width. It won't hold one of those flat heaters though and probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a titanium heater with the clip.

SalFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should as long as it's round. Most of those round glass heaters are the same width. It won't hold one of those flat heaters though and probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a titanium heater with the clip.
Works for mine.

AngeloRivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great filter, it has a big space for all the media that you want to put in. It's defenitely quiet. I only have 1 issue on this HOB, the intake from below doesnt suck-in water even fully open.

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Tidal today. That thing is nice! Very quiet and no longer have to worry about using a power head for surface agitation. A tiny person could surf on those waves.

navvet8992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Tidal today. That thing is nice! Very quiet and no longer have to worry about using a power head for surface agitation. A tiny person could surf on those waves.
Can you tell me the width that sits behind the tank? I only have 4 inches to the wall so have to make sure it fits. Thanks.

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 55 as well. Should be easy to find the 110 dimensions on the Seachem site.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the surface skimmer is well below the plastic trim and the water line will be well below the plastic rim in order to use the skimmer feature.

For a QT tank, no big deal, but on a nano DT, the water line will show

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idea was to remove the blue pad from the bottom and use only Seachem Matrix and on top of that use filter pad that I will change out. Since it will be easier to
I got this recently and I absolutely love it! while scrubbing some brown algae i did notice that alot of it got past the sponge and was quickly covering the bag that the Matrix was in, so I did a change things around on the inside media, I got the white and blue filter/polishing pads and cut then to the same shape as the sponge and then placed one on top of the sponge, I then added a bit more matrix as there is a ton of space that is not used in the filter leaving it open to customization, and then I added a second cut out of the filter/polishing pad on top as a final touch. I got the tidal 75 but after using it I wish I had gotten the 110 as you can always adjust the flow but the extra space for even more bio or mechanical filtration would have been awesome, I might get one anyways to replace the whisper ex70 that im running in tandem with the tidal. I hands down think its the best hob filter I've found and although its a bit pricey and doesn't come with as much Matrix as it should, but the money you can save down the road using your own prefered brand of bio and mechanical filtration I think more than makes up for it.

Should I remove the blue filter pad since it can make the filter a nitrate trap?
The Matrix can be left in the bag or should be removed and tossed into filter basket?
Was gonna remove blue filter from bottom and run Matrix and a filter pad on top of it that will be changed out and will be easier to remove.

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tidal 55 by Seachem- Review

In the saltwater hobby we often say that hang on back (HOB) filters are not meant for saltwater, that they aren’t good enough. I still believe that, but there are times when an HOB filter is just what you need. A quarantine tank for instance, or a small reef tank that a sump would be impractical on. So, if you need a hang on back filter for your saltwater application, I think I found one that you will like.
All pictures by: melypr1985
filter-a-jpg.499234

Seachem has come out with a new hang on back filter for both fresh and saltwater applications. I spent some time with the Seachem rep who took me on a tour of this filter and pretty much sold me on it. The Tidal comes in sizes good for 55 gallons, 75 gallons and 110 gallons. It’s meant to need less maintenance and to be easier to maintain when you do. Of course, we all know it’s best to keep your maintenance up to par no matter how little a product claims to need. The manual even tells you that regular maintenance is important and will greatly increase the health of your aquarium. The pump on this filter is made by Sicce which is an Italian company with great products, quality and reputation. The one I was able to get is the 55 model and I have it on a 10-gallon quarantine tank. It’s way over powered for a tank that small but with the easy adjustment on the speed of the filter, it’s perfect for what I need.

filter-b-jpg.499235

Let’s talk about the features it has. First and foremost, it has a surface skimmer. Wait a sec?! Did she say surface skimmer?! Yup. It’s a pretty cool feature to have for sure, especially in a saltwater application. It also has the same intake that every other HOB filter has, though this one is telescoping to fit more shallow tanks. The self-priming pump is attached very securely to the body of the filter. So securely, in fact, that I had a hard time taking it off. They also state that the impeller is self-cleaning, but we will have to give it some serious time in service to see if this is true. You have to take off the pump to install the intake tube, but the box that holds those parts has a handy, and easy to follow graphic on how to do this. I had it done in about 30 seconds.

filter-c-jpg.499236

There is also a clip on the side to hold a heater. It may sound like a silly addition but those suction cups don’t last long in saltwater, so a handy clip might be nice to have when that happens. Above the surface skimmer, you’ll find a dial that controls the flow rate of the filter. I found this nice and very important when I found one of my anthias stuck to the intake tube this morning. I didn’t realize how much suction was really being pulled in until that moment. I turned down the flow and now everybody else is doing just fine.

filter-d-jpg.499237

Inside the filter, you’ll find a media basket. It’s easy to get out and comes with a blue sponge and a mesh, zip up bag full of Seachem’s Matrix media. For those of you who don’t know, Matrix is a ceramic bio media that is very porous and able to hold a large amount of bacteria in a small sample. There is plenty of room inside to add other media of your choice. I chose to cut a piece of the filter pad in my sump and add it to the mix to seed the media with since it was going on a new QT. You could add anything you wanted, from a very large sponge for your QT, or purigen, carbon, ect. As I said, it’s easy to remove the basket and everything in it with the tabs on either side of the basket. The lid of the filter is designed to hold the basket right on top in the cut in and keep dripping to a minimum. I found that this was handy, but if you don’t let the basket drain enough, you’ll still get spillover.

filter-e-jpg.499238

One of the most interesting parts of this filter is the maintenance indicator on the top. It’s a little blue tube that pops up when the filters need cleaning or changing. The idea is that the filters are clogged and not allowing water to pass through them well enough to be effective. When the water backs up inside the filter it triggers this little blue tube to pop up letting you know about it. I like the idea behind that, but I haven’t seen it happen yet. I will update with that information when/if it happens.

filter-f-jpg.499239

All in all, I think this is a well-made product and I’m not worried about it breaking on me in the next month or two. I know that Sicce is a good brand and stands behind its products with a good warranty. There are some good ideas wrapped into this filter, but only time will tell if it’s really worth the money for them. They are a bit pricier than some of the other options out there at about $55 for the Tidal 55, but have the potential to be worth it. I hope to see some other reviews of this product in this thread and feel free to ask any questions you have about it.
This is what I currently have on my first saltwater 20 gallon nano reef. I am ready to add more coral and was debating what water movement to add. This has 250 gph is this good enough the one Kenya tree I have in there flows back and forth nicely

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back