Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by melypr1985, Mar 23, 2017.

The Tidal 55 by Seachem- Review

Seachem has come out with a new hang on back filter for both fresh and saltwater applications. I spent some time with the Seachem rep who took me...
  1. Rory

Rory Active Member

I have now been running mine a few weeks on a 40 column QT tank. Had some haze in the water so I added carbon and Purigen packs to it. Now it's crystal clear! It is a bit loud from the rushing water going through it. Other than that 2 thumbs up!

IMG_3649.JPG

2. BoogieTimeWithJiggets

BoogieTimeWithJiggets Member

I got this recently and I absolutely love it! while scrubbing some brown algae i did notice that alot of it got past the sponge and was quickly covering the bag that the Matrix was in, so I did a change things around on the inside media, I got the white and blue filter/polishing pads and cut then to the same shape as the sponge and then placed one on top of the sponge, I then added a bit more matrix as there is a ton of space that is not used in the filter leaving it open to customization, and then I added a second cut out of the filter/polishing pad on top as a final touch. I got the tidal 75 but after using it I wish I had gotten the 110 as you can always adjust the flow but the extra space for even more bio or mechanical filtration would have been awesome, I might get one anyways to replace the whisper ex70 that im running in tandem with the tidal. I hands down think its the best hob filter I've found and although its a bit pricey and doesn't come with as much Matrix as it should, but the money you can save down the road using your own prefered brand of bio and mechanical filtration I think more than makes up for it.

melypr1985 likes this.
  3. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Anyone who has one of these, will the heater clip fit one of the lower wattage (50w) Eheim Jager glass heaters?

4. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

It should as long as it's round. Most of those round glass heaters are the same width. It won't hold one of those flat heaters though and probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a titanium heater with the clip.

5. tdileo

tdileo Well-Known Member

Very cool. I will have to get this for my 20G QT setup I'm working on

melypr1985 likes this.
  6. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

You'll like it.

tdileo likes this.
  7. SalFish

SalFish New Member

Works for mine.

8. melypr1985

A titanium heater or a flat one? That would be great info to add here! :)

9. AngeloRivera

AngeloRivera New Member

This is a great filter, it has a big space for all the media that you want to put in. It's defenitely quiet. I only have 1 issue on this HOB, the intake from below doesnt suck-in water even fully open.

10. Firethorn77

Firethorn77 Active Member

Just got a Tidal today. That thing is nice! Very quiet and no longer have to worry about using a power head for surface agitation. A tiny person could surf on those waves.

11. navvet8992

navvet8992 Member

Can you tell me the width that sits behind the tank? I only have 4 inches to the wall so have to make sure it fits. Thanks.

12. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

4 inches is enough. Mine only sticks out beyond the tank about 3.5" and it could be pressed closer by another 1/4".

13. navvet8992

navvet8992 Member

Thank you. What size tidal do you have? The 110 is what I would need.

14. navvet8992

navvet8992 Member

What size do you have? I would need the 110 size. Thanks

15. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

16. Firethorn77

Firethorn77 Active Member

I have the 55 as well. Should be easy to find the 110 dimensions on the Seachem site.

17. joec

joec Well-Known Member

It looks like the surface skimmer is well below the plastic trim and the water line will be well below the plastic rim in order to use the skimmer feature.

For a QT tank, no big deal, but on a nano DT, the water line will show

Draft saved Draft deleted