xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrek my Dolabella Sea Har
74501B32-D5EA-4FEF-B886-80BD42ECF58B (1).jpeg
Lol we used to have one of these also named Shrek!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept a daidema (longspined) urchin before have you had the issue of them skewering fish?

I got this "guy" the size of a ping pong ball about 10 or 12 years ago. Now he is about 7" across. I have about 26 fish and none have ever been skewered.

I had one before him for about the same time and he also never hurt anything, except me. :oops:
Here he is eating a piece of clam.

OP
OP
Sharir

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this "guy" the size of a ping pong ball about 10 or 12 years ago. Now he is about 7" across. I have about 26 fish and none have ever been skewered.

I had one before him for about the same time and he also never hurt anything, except me. :oops:
Here he is eating a piece of clam.

How fast did he grow? Did he grow slowly over time or fast in the beginning and slowed down in the end. How good is he at removing algea? How did you deal with the stings?I am thinking of getting one so your opinion would be helpful.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He grew slowly but got full size in a year if I remember. I get stung all the time from him and diving. They are not poisonous so the "stinger" just stays in you and dissolves eventually.
He eats algae but I don't really have much that he can reach. I am sure if there was some reachable, he would eat it. His favorite food is clams and will devour big pieces of them as he doesn't know he is supposed to be vegan.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most entertaining invert I've had is this pistol shrimp. The relationship with his gobies never gets boring to watch! This video shows the winning move in the battle of the nassarius snail, which had been going on for several minutes before I started recording.

Prior to this point, the goby was dragging the snail into the cave, and the shrimp was promptly tossing it back out onto the sand. This snail argument happens surprisingly regularly!

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken I think it is a cowrie... I am going to get some soon I have heard of certain species of them be very good to "destroy" algea... Also quiet hard to get depending on where you live.
It's a Hydatina physis, not a cowrie, feeds on certain kind of worm only.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back