The UNICORN skimmer

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the 150int be overkill on a 60g ? Or would that just give more opportunity to turn the pump down and get it really quiet ?
It would probably be fine. You would probably have to turn it down to the slowest pump speed though. I’d get some other opinions about sizing before buying though.

OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the footprint of the Nyos over the 150int. Also the Nyos is rated closer to my 60G cube. The deciding factor is still noise. Anyone ever own both ? or have a sound byte of there Nyos 120 running ?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned the 150int on another tank, it’s not Royal Exclusiv quiet but I wouldn’t call it loud. I strive to have my tank near silent, the loudest thing I have now is when the filter socks have just been swapped. You can also add foam panels that have 2 sided sticky tape on them in your cabinet and it helps a ton. It also helps by putting a thin foam pad under a sump to kill off any vibrations, I coated the whole base of my cabinet in multiple coats of flex seal and it helped a bunch

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is silent to one person is the loudest skimmer on earth to the next. Probably no such thing as a silent skimmer. Tunze skimmers are pretty quiet, I have found, but I also don't care about a little noise if they work well.... and they certainly do work well.

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned the 150int on another tank, it’s not Royal Exclusiv quiet but I wouldn’t call it loud. I strive to have my tank near silent, the loudest thing I have now is when the filter socks have just been swapped. You can also add foam panels that have 2 sided sticky tape on them in your cabinet and it helps a ton. It also helps by putting a thin foam pad under a sump to kill off any vibrations, I coated the whole base of my cabinet in multiple coats of flex seal and it helped a bunch
The foam panels are a great idea, I plan to do that to the interior. I already have the sump on a cut up yoga mat and all pumps/skimmer on silicone pads in sump. Without skimmer it is dead silent. The vectra return pump once dialed is silent.

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Exclusiv. Worth every penny.
I did see a few days ago a used Bubble king mini 160 with the red dragon pump for sale I will check if that’s still available. I believe it’s an older generation with the red dragon pump. Where theee known to be louder then current versions ?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a few days ago a used Bubble king mini 160 with the red dragon pump for sale I will check if that’s still available. I believe it’s an older generation with the red dragon pump. Where theee known to be louder then current versions ?
I can't say. I have the mini bubble king 160 with the upgraded pump DC pump from 2020. Red Dragon Pumps are good pumps so I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I crank my Aeraqua Duo higher than 7 on it's controller the air intake starts to become audible. 7 or lower it's dead silent.

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say. I have the mini bubble king 160 with the upgraded pump DC pump from 2020. Red Dragon Pumps are good pumps so I wouldn't hesitate to use one.
Would it be over kill on a 60g cube, it’s available. The BRS review said it works so well to actually go down one size for your tank. Is 160 stretching it for the bio load of a 60g ?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All needle wheel skimmers should be pretty quite, besides the air intake. The performance is sacrificed however.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can line your under cabinet in anti sound car material the sound audio guys use.
Imo if you want what you want go patient and make it...
Lol. I find the basic sicce pumps to be dead silent but i work in a factory setting daily.
D

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Magus NAC 6. It makes absolutely no noise at all. I run it 24/7.
Really ? I had the NAC 6 a few years back and I found it worked well but a bit loud. I do see they have since changed the pump so maybe that helped. Hard to compare a 1000$ skimmer with a 200$ skimmer.

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I picked up the bubble king mini 160, hope my system can support it. If not back to the drawing board.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the skimmer, you could put it on a timer if it starts to strip your tank, or I know but do a 90 gallon tank upgrade, my favorite size, 36. x 30. x24

Scuba Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching high and low for the quietest skimmer on the market. I currently run a 60g cube with a 25g cube sump. I run the Vectra s1 return and 2 nero 3's. All pumps are near dead silence at the setting I use. Next I need to upgrade skimmer, I want performance but unfortunately noise takes top priority with this setup. I thought I was ready to pull the trigger on the Nyos quantum, 120 but reviews go back and forth with noise. I keep hearing they are loud during break in and after cleanings ??? Then I went down another rabbit hole of the reef octo regal series that I see most comments say silent... I have neither local to compare or evaluate. Im left with opinions and youtube videos. If anyone has real world experience with these or any other models that are as close to silent (silent with doors on cabinet closed and around 8-10ft away) I'm all ears.
Run it on a timer so it is off when you are enjoying your tank?

camps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the skimmer, you could put it on a timer if it starts to strip your tank, or I know but do a 90 gallon tank upgrade, my favorite size, 36. x 30. x24
I have always run my skimmer 24/7. I will need to research putting it on a timer and the effects. I read a few posts of success stories with the 160 on reefer250 55g tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back