!!THE VOICE OF A FEW AT LEAST: AN ACRO GUYS' JOURNEY INTO THE REALM OF THE BOBBING SOFTIE!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok someone has to say it, and I’ll just go ahead and be the one to come right out with it. Today I’m talking about mushrooms. "Bounces" specifically, so here it is.

Can someone please tell me what on earth makes a mushroom with some orange, ballonesque warts so appealing? I confess that I have never seen one in person so maybe I’m missing something spectacular that does not photograph well, but this one has got me scratching my head.

As usual I'm having little fun here, but in all sincereness, and at the risk of sounding like a jerk and perhaps ruffling a few feathers, tell me. What is it about this thing that you guys and gals like so much? I mean it's orange and bubbly. Cool sure. What else? Rarity? Not so sure. I mean there’s plenty of rare coral that people could care less about, so I don’t think it’s that. Maybe just the latest flash in the pan fad coral? Could be.

I’m not that closed minded I swear. Help me understand. I really want you guys to lay it out for me. I won’t even touch on the prices I’ve seen these going for, because I don’t really care what you guys are coughing up for them. I honestly just don’t see what make them so appealing. Granted this comes from a guy who’s got small polyp fever, but I just don’t see the draw with these things. I’d even go as far as to say, that I find them kind of ugly, Curse me all you want for saying so. This is one of those times I am actually moderately confused. Not loosing sleep I promise, but clearly confused enough to take the time to distract you with this drivel. I have no intention of a final pitch for some pack I have for sale, or anything like that, nor do I harbor any sour feelings for those of you that have them and love them, and those who are selling them. I’m really just looking for some real world answers as to what make these bubbly softies so appealing?

So let me have it! Why do you love your bounce so much, and if your still looking, why do you want one so bad?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one in a store just this past weekend for the first time. It was huge and just chillin in the back of a tank on a frag rack. I couldn't stop looking at it. I've never been a big fan of them but that fatty sitting there in their tank kept getting my attention. Much larger than I imagined they get. I can see how someone would want a large one as a center piece of a tank. I didn't even ask how much or even if it was for sale but my brain was picturing that shroom in the bottom of my tank with a bunch of acro colonies growing around it. Lol

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like mushrooms with STD's....

MichaelScott-300x216.jpg

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it either. I can see how a collection of them would look nice, just like my one little Ricordia garden, but no way I'd pay more than $40-50 for one.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL Ok well I don't feel so alone anymore.:p But I want to hear from the people that do like them! Feel free to gang up on me.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you post this Adam. I just mentioned the exact same thing on our local club board over on the other site last week.

I've seen a few in person and quite frankly I'm not a fan of the look at all.

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit it. I have shroom fever.

I started my little shroom collection before being interested in bounce mushrooms.

I hate how expensive they are. Darn you coral hypers.

As for why I like bounces:
BUBBLES. I like big colorful bubbles and I cannot lie! I like watching them grow and get stupidly big. I only have two Bounce mushrooms. A green bounce and the original WWC Bounce.

They both get big bubbles. I would say the WWC Bounce is the prized bounce. It's bubbles are green and yellow! And best of all they get big.

Bought my Green Bounce from Legendary Corals for 150$ OK that's within my comfort zone.

Bought the WWC Bounce from a local reefer for 380$. OK i'm out of my comfort zone and I feel like I'm in a hole. BUT I convinced myself it will be OK because I plan on selling a frag to make my money back. They are relatively easy to sell at the moment, but dang what if by the time I have a frag available, the craze will die down and I wont be able to make my money back. :\ oh well gotta deal.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally someone said it! Thank you sir... I've seen them in person and yes there cool but not $500-$1,000 cool. Still just a mushroom, Just sayin. I remember when nobody wanted mushrooms cause they will ''over take your tank''

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really new to add here, as I do think its just the latest coral fad. But I still like them. I don't own one, and can't imagine spending a ton of money on one either. But, its different and brightly colored. Just like my sticks, my zoas or anything else I spend money on. The uniqueness of coral life is what ultimately drives us all to spend a lot of money (all relative of course) on a small animal we glue to a rock, and the bounce is definitely unique! I like the bubbles in a similar way that I like a really hairy milli, it just looks....weird, cool, funky, etc

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd prefer a run of the mill green slimmer or even a purple stylo over one honestly, just another shroom to me. Then again I'm a acroholic.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is mine. Bought it two years ago because it was a fad. Paid 500 for size of a nickel.

For two years I have been growing it. Now it is my favorite coral in the tank to look at.

I will say this. All you guys that don't like if got a chance get it and put it in your tank.

I bet in one month you guys will all love it.

I know now you guys look at it as 1000 dollar mushroom and don't want it.

Shop around and see if you can get a small piece for a decent price.

None of you guys will regret it.

20150928_193321.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nothing really new to add here, as I do think its just the latest coral fad. But I still like them. I don't own one, and can't imagine spending a ton of money on one either. But, its different and brightly colored. Just like my sticks, my zoas or anything else I spend money on. The uniqueness of coral life is what ultimately drives us all to spend a lot of money (all relative of course) on a small animal we glue to a rock, and the bounce is definitely unique! I like the bubbles in a similar way that I like a really hairy milli, it just looks....weird, cool, funky, etc

Well said for sure, and something I totally overlooked in my first post. I absolutely agree that this thing is unique, and that really may be the driving force behind it all. There is an instantaneous kind of "wow what the heck" reaction that this one illicits for sure. Couple that with a nice vibrant color and you've got something. Excellent point.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is mine. Bought it two years ago because it was a fad. Paid 500 for size of a nickel.

For two years I have been growing it. Now it is my favorite coral in the tank to look at.

I will say this. All you guys that don't like if got a chance get it and put it in your tank.

20150928_193321.jpg

It is an oddball man. no doubt. Thanks for sharing. I think your right. I have a feeling this thing would totally grow on me;)

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think the debate goes with any coral if it's different I fel like with the huge bubbles can relate and start a convo
Second I'd say there's only a couple that I think will b worth getting like the wwc bounce because just like a lot of expensive coral u get more money for how many colors are in it
I don't think will last long to easy to grow to easy to frag price will go down but seems like a chaloces have Ben going down in pricing to seems just natural to by hyped then dropped
I personally like for color and being so strange cool thing for now I have three didn't nearly pay what people pay for thou

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20150928_193321.jpg

That's the point though! No one wants to sell a "decent price" bounce shroom! Whatever happened to helping out fellow hobbyist?
I can't even count how many people I've PM'D with talking about trading Sps for a bounce. Every one of them wanted high end Acro's for dirt cheap when they're asking $700 for a bogger frag. [emoji20]

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
500 is the normal price for dime size. Maybe 600
Look around plenty of reefers that will help you.

I found one for same price.

Yes it will be a booger. So was mine.
It's a good grower and hardy.

So in 6 months you will have a looker.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's the point though! No one wants to sell a "decent price" bounce shroom! Whatever happened to helping out fellow hobbyist?
I can't even count how many people I've PM'D with talking about trading Sps for a bounce. Every one of them wanted high end Acro's for dirt cheap when they're asking $700 for a bogger frag. [emoji20]

If you have high end sps. Make a pack sell it. Then pay the guy 700
For bounce.

Don't try to trade. Reefers generally ask more when trading.

It's all worth it believe me. Wwc sold a bounce pack for 5600. I was short otherwise I would have bought them.

I like my bounce shroom. And so does everyone else that owns one.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back