The Wet Pet Called Cube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nutramar Foods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trunkfish like the Cubicus are omnivores, cruising the reef for different algae, sponges, and invertebrates to eat all day, every day, the primary reason they are not suggested for reef aquariums, but also a reason why a varied diet is important for their long term health. When the fish are small, they should be fed a quality flake or pellet along with appropriately sized frozen foods such as Gamma brine shrimp or mysis shrimp. Because of their natural afinity for grazing, Nutramar Shots are a perfect food for this fish. Algae can also be supplemented in the same way it is fed to tangs in aquariums on a clip or with a magnet on the glass. As these fish grow, they can be transitioned to larger foods such as shrimp, mussels or clams on the half shell and other fresh marine based meaty foods.
Cubicus.jpg

The Cubicus Trunkfish (Ostracion cubicus), also known as a Yellow Boxfish is a member of the family Ostraciidae which we more commonly call “Boxfishes.” It was described to science and given its scientific name is 1758 by Carl Linnaeus, known as the father of taxonomy (the grouping and naming of species) because he was the person who first started binomial nomenclature (binomial meaning two names, genus and species names). Ostracion is in reference to the bony plates that cover its body for protection. As a juvenile this fish is bright yellow with black spots and it slowly fades over time to a darker, bluish gray color shading over a subdued yellow, retaining only a little of its juvenile coloration once it reaches maturity. Despite the awkward body shape of Trunkfish, they move quite agilely over the reef – even to the point where one company decided to use them as motivation for the design of a vehicle shape in the early 2000’s!
Read More Here

To check us out on Instagram click here!

cubicus-mid article.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back