The WORST advice EVER!!!!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. When I started I had two QT tanks setup and was diligent about the process. During the QT process I lost many fish for various reasons, the rarest being disease. Then I started reading Paul B's methods more and more. My wife and I are very outdoorsy and personally I don't keep antibacterial soap in the house because I believe our immune systems need to be worked out in order to be healthy. The fact that I believe that and was trying to keep my fish tank sterile from any disease really doesn't make sense. Since then I have changed methods and no longer QT fish unless I believe they are fighting a nasty cold when I first get them. Since changing practices I have lost one fish and it was not due to disease but rather my purple tang being the snot she is and harassing him to death. When I bring corals home I do dip them in Coral RX which saved me from coral eating nudibranch last week. Long story short in my experience the worst advice I got was try to run a sterile tank.

I actually followed this method too (ich maintenance w/ quality diet), since every fish I quarantined died within 2 weeks, and I figured that reducing stress by putting them in the DT would increase their odds of survival. This worked short-term until I added a fish that had a nasty bacterial infection--my tank was wiped out within 4 days :( So I'm curious as to what disease maintenance methods you employ (if any), what is the age of your system (mine is 6 months), and where you purchase your fish.

I have begun QTing my fish and have had good success buying them off LADD or from 1 LFS; with any other place, the fish aren't as healthy and don't survive.

EDIT: Sorry if derailing the thread, if so please PM me. Thanks!

Sorry about going off on a tangent, but.....I have done it both ways, and not quarantining is definitely easier, but fraught with many issues. A few points to clarify. Our tanks are poor substitutes for the natural environment. If our fish contract amyloodinium ocellatum(velvet) and/or cryptocaryon(ich) in the wild, after a few days the parasite falls off and the fish goes on its way. In our closed systems we have created an environment that gives the parasites an advantage. The fish cannot swim away, and with each life cycle the parasite increases in number. One could argue that by placing the fish in multiple isolated systems (e.g quarantine tanks) you are more closely replicating their natural ability to swim away. Quarantine tanks take more time, energy, and resources than a display tank IMHO. If done correctly you can have better survival rates then the 'plop and drop' approach to adding fish. Definitely not easy or fun, but I cannot imagine adding fish without some form of a quarantine tank.

Teri NewbieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I have 'newbiereefer' as part of my R2R name is that no matter how long you are in the hobby, there is always something new... so I know to do some research before implementing advice.
That said, the worst advice I've heard is 'this bottle will instantly cycle your tank for you'... with the LFS not even knowing what type/size tank I was going to do.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come and get mine before they cover every available rock surface. ;Shifty
Definitely one hitchhiker that I could have done without.
i would love too but your about a 36 hour drive. I dont thank I could do that in a weekend. Maybe we could meet half way. ;)

Dodgersallday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst advice I hear all the time is when people say keeping a legitimate reef tank is a hobby. Well folks, it’s not hobby. We participate in a luxury activity!!!!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst advice I hear all the time is when people say keeping a legitimate reef tank is a hobby. Well folks, it’s not hobby. We participate in a luxury activity!!!!!
what's the difference.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bandwagon should advise in this thread he needs to certainly self invade with algae because you will stay around until it goes away

Tell him to store up a bunch of waste in the sandbed as well.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gha-making-a-comeback.616880/

Vs post some theories and likes, make action in a work thread where someone doesn't want to lose stuff.

I'll take the side of clean your stuff, allow no uglies ever

Can guarantee he will not lose that tank with our method there's no room for tank loss in how we work. If prior detractors think allowing the early gha phase is good for him, post your guarantee in the work thread and we track the predictions vs outcome.

Last edited:

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS: we've never had this tribal blenny in before. He's really cool, and 100% reef safe.

Killed all my frogspawns, one by one, until I stayed up all night to catch him in the act. Had to tear down my entire tank to get him out.

Purple with green tips, green with purple tips, pink and purple, walling, octopus frogspawns... all gone

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal to have ich in your tank just let it and will pass like the ugly phase of your tank.Advice given to me by a employ at a LFS in Dubai

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a 40,000ft perspective.... I would say the WORST advice is....

.... from posters who think successful reefing is a matter of SCIENCE

I think there are thousand of tiny factors that make up a mature tank. You could have two identical tanks side-by-side, and tankA grows SPS like crazy and tankB SPS recedes and dies....even though the tanks are IDENTICAL.

I see far tooooooo much ART and tiny hidden husbandry skills beat out SCIENCE every time.

So when I read a poster who says, "Scientifically you should do steps 1, 2, 3, 4" .... its probably 75% great advice, 25% pure luck to get it CORRECT in your own tank.

Yes. YES, it is science. Every second of every day of your reef tank's existence IS science. Your "hidden husbandry skills" IS science. There is NO art involved in keeping an aquarium. SMH ....

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the worst advice I've ever heard, from an LFS...

Customer: My tank is growing algae

LFS: Scrub your rock under hot tap water

Short and sweet. But dear lord... bad advice.

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of these "bad LFS" advice things seem more like salty hobbyists who misconstrued what the employee said. Ive been on both sides and 90% of the time its the hobbyist who only halfway listens who ends up with all the problems.

I do have one story though, when a LFS employee tried to sell me a trigger for a reef tank. Turned out she was new and still learning - things happen and she was embarrassed. After that we moved forward.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have kids they said. It will be fun, they said.
They forgot to tell you about the work, disappointments, frustration, time out of your day, and DIAPERS that go along with the joy, pride, satisfaction and fun.

ALL IN ALL ITS BETTER THAN BLUE CLOVE POLYPS ARE CONTROLLABLE IN A REEF TANK!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back