The WORST advice EVER!!!!

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Use a damsel to cycle”
Used a damsel to cycle two tanks. It later went through 3 more cycles unintentionally (emergency QT, almost died so a bucket to prevent it from releasing ammonia on the overstocked QT, it lived, then a new tank just for the damsels cause they didn’t make it through full quarantine)
You know the saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”
I ended up adding another damsel and they killed it within 10 minutes. The other damsel was docile but then killed my pj cardinal and watchman, so he had to get out of that tank and the only other available was the damsel tank. Eye for an eye, I guess.

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Use a damsel to cycle”
Used a damsel to cycle two tanks. It later went through 3 more cycles unintentionally (emergency QT, almost died so a bucket to prevent it from releasing ammonia on the overstocked QT, it lived, then a new tank just for the damsels cause they didn’t make it through full quarantine)
You know the saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”
I ended up adding another damsel and they killed it within 10 minutes. The other damsel was docile but then killed my pj cardinal and watchman, so he had to get out of that tank and the only other available was the damsel tank. Eye for an eye, I guess.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst advice for me, is listening to most local fish stores.. All of them, all they want is to make a quick buck on equipment, miracle ich cures and so forth.. I learned that early on with fresh water fish keeping 20 years ago, and when i started marine tanks 2 years ago, most of the stores just wanted to sell me equipment that is "needed" . i didnt listen to anyone. I did my own thing, no sump, no protein skimmer, nothing but power heads lights and HOBs for mechanical filtration... I learned from search's on google and i used some of the info there, and learned as i went myself

I found everyone thinks they have a perfect system and they know best and well it might work for them but not for the next guy so i prefer to learn as i go. I found it extremely annoying to show pics or videos of my 55g hexagon when it was in its full glory and my now 4 month old 135g.. Only for them to ask what kind of equipment im running. When i tell them i have no skimmer, no sump, just a couple power heads, t5 lights and 2 HOBS, they frown at me and want to lecture me. I find this funny because 5 seconds prior they liked my tank..

THE ONLY advice i do wish i followed was QT my fish in the beggining, i would have saved probably near a 1,000$ in dead fish over months and months. Now i QT and dont have any issues.

One

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sde1500
Ive asked for work threads here and in prior threads, that's where I based my recommend on never allowing an uglies phase/purposeful invasion phase. I rarely get even a single example when asking, its offputting like you mentioned.

You guys certainly don't mind challenging the recommend in quotes, nobody called you out :) so I know if I just ask for a single work example the back n forth slows greatly and the greater recommend will still and always be to purposefully wreck your tank.

That keeps us busy in our work threads, continue on if you think its right.

*remember its not as serious as you guys like to make it... we're simply saying that if you have a nano or a shallow tank, clean the filth out at the start, don't let it compound to a cyano or dinos invasion that takes 5 months to clear...cleaning isn't harmful.

The rates of loss from all sizes of tanks nowadays is totally unacceptable and one way to reduce that is to consider not repeating the errors of the past though it works for 30%.

Im aware that the majority of reefers will still self invade. The % we show how to not do that sure like the method.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/does-microbactor-clean-work.605678/#post-6110889

That particular tank has been trying to undo the uglies phase twenty months. You guys indirectly caused that, by supporting the venture to there and back (one day)

See how many people stick around long term to try and fix tanks that follow blanket advice but don't comply? Crickets...
people who advise someone being so hands off permanently that their systems are invade to the point of excluding all corals is circulating untested advice.

My tests find the polar opposite, and, people are happy in our work threads :)
Huh? I really can’t follow this.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard then. no need to quote what has been said ten times for repeats, just hit like on the other five quotes just like that one.

those sincerely interested in the matter understand just fine due to discussions and context after I posted that.

others understand fine at the time of the post, especially if we fixed their tanks.

Participation in work seems to be the dividing line between 'I understand' and completely being stumped by a written page description of not allowing your early reef to get invaded.

Also not easily followed:

The link I posted where nobody is helping a permanent uglies phase get fixed

They bail(ed)

Do you have some help to add there?

You understand just fine and I understand where all the critics go when work is on the line.

Here it is again:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...his-is-ridiculous.463242/page-10#post-6153416

That is what happens when you let an uglies phase become part of this hobby. A required part. So many reasons are listed in support of letting your tank to through the uglies phase, and so little action where challenges go.

What if those quick to challenge/like bandwagon were as quick to assist~ then that thread wouldn't be beconing help like it is.

anyone got any chops for that thread? I see like fifty eyes here, anyone who has ever posted to another reefer "it's the uglies phase, it goes away" should be required to post there

Last edited:

Reefer Robbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worst advice I ever got was from Petco when I first started. I was trying to buy some fish and I could see ich on them. I told the girl there they had ich. And that all the other fish could have it too and she said that that wasn't true and all I had to do feed him food with garlic in it and it would cure him. Then she told me you can control it with garlic maintenance. Petco should not sell marine fish I don't even think they're smart enough to sell fresh water tanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that too, I think today's best ich control is the ttm/fallow and qt approach going off % successful tanks using the method
---------------------------

just4plaay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst advice I have received is to not QT fish but let nature take its course. Yes nature will take its course and all my fish will be dead by the end of the week.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. When I started I had two QT tanks setup and was diligent about the process. During the QT process I lost many fish for various reasons, the rarest being disease. Then I started reading Paul B's methods more and more. My wife and I are very outdoorsy and personally I don't keep antibacterial soap in the house because I believe our immune systems need to be worked out in order to be healthy. The fact that I believe that and was trying to keep my fish tank sterile from any disease really doesn't make sense. Since then I have changed methods and no longer QT fish unless I believe they are fighting a nasty cold when I first get them. Since changing practices I have lost one fish and it was not due to disease but rather my purple tang being the snot she is and harassing him to death. When I bring corals home I do dip them in Coral RX which saved me from coral eating nudibranch last week. Long story short in my experience the worst advice I got was try to run a sterile tank.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Get a reef tank” they said...
“It’ll add joy to your life” they said...
In all fairness, they do but also have their stressful aspects.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" you can buy this bottle of Bacteria and stock the tank the SAME day " !!!!
Heck, it works for "Tanked" guys. . . .LOL
When I set up my tank after a 15 year hiatus from reefing. My lfs told me this exact thing. I'd been away from the hobby awhile and bacteria in a bottle sounded like a miracle to me. There was a lot of death involved by the time it was over.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. When I started I had two QT tanks setup and was diligent about the process. During the QT process I lost many fish for various reasons, the rarest being disease. Then I started reading Paul B's methods more and more. My wife and I are very outdoorsy and personally I don't keep antibacterial soap in the house because I believe our immune systems need to be worked out in order to be healthy. The fact that I believe that and was trying to keep my fish tank sterile from any disease really doesn't make sense. Since then I have changed methods and no longer QT fish unless I believe they are fighting a nasty cold when I first get them. Since changing practices I have lost one fish and it was not due to disease but rather my purple tang being the snot she is and harassing him to death. When I bring corals home I do dip them in Coral RX which saved me from coral eating nudibranch last week. Long story short in my experience the worst advice I got was try to run a sterile tank.

I actually followed this method too (ich maintenance w/ quality diet), since every fish I quarantined died within 2 weeks, and I figured that reducing stress by putting them in the DT would increase their odds of survival. This worked short-term until I added a fish that had a nasty bacterial infection--my tank was wiped out within 4 days :( So I'm curious as to what disease maintenance methods you employ (if any), what is the age of your system (mine is 6 months), and where you purchase your fish.

I have begun QTing my fish and have had good success buying them off LADD or from 1 LFS; with any other place, the fish aren't as healthy and don't survive.

EDIT: Sorry if derailing the thread, if so please PM me. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back