The WORST advice EVER!!!!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No excuse to have cyano in the tank, just use chemiclean...
Never had a real algae issue before. Turf algae took over. I added some urchins but I'm not sure they eat this stuff.
The alveopora never came out again. One has died the other just exists.
The constant cleaning is how I managed to get velvet into the tank. Currently, the tank is for all practical purposes dead. After the fish came out the algae started to die off. So did all the coral.
Never any measurable nitrate or phosphate before or after. Dosing nitrate just greens up the algae.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it man, not trying to say your wrong or that QT is wrong. My point is if you don't QT and loose a fish then it's a big deal or someone is irresponsible but if you loose fish while in QT then it's looked at different like the fish was already sick or it's just part of the hobby. Believe me, I have nothing against QT, I just know there are many ways to reef.
Yeah, everyone has their own method. I'm just saying that "you don't have to QT" is the worst advice (that I followed) that I've gotten in the hobby.

I am also a very emotional person so I get very attached to my pets, making the tank crash hard for me. Almost stopped. I'm actually still fowlr... [emoji24]

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No excuse to have cyano in the tank, just use chemiclean...
Never had a real algae issue before. Turf algae took over. I added some urchins but I'm not sure they eat this stuff.
The alveopora never came out again. One has died the other just exists.
The constant cleaning is how I managed to get velvet into the tank. Currently, the tank is for all practical purposes dead. After the fish came out the algae started to die off. So did all the coral.
Never any measurable nitrate or phosphate before or after. Dosing nitrate just greens up the algae.

Actually - I agree with you :). I just was wondering the rationale? I dont think you can get velvet in the tank with cleaning. I find that my corals outcompete my algae - but of course thats just my anecdote.

I'm sorry that your tanked not do well.

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many

Fish only grow to the size of your tank.

Purple up makes coralline algae grow.

A fish store employee once told me that live rock grows and gets bigger when you keep it in your tank.

PH buffer is the best way to raise PH in a reef tank.

You can keep one inch of fish per one gallon of your tank.

I’ve heard so many

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep a tang in a nano cube
b9ef02c36e0c7afea0c6d849c19a1f3e.jpg

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, what is a majano wand?
Bleigh- A Majano Wand is a device which uses electrolysis to disintegrate Majano or Aiptasia on contact (almost magical). The wand has a needle on the end that you touch the aiptasia with while pressing the trigger for electricity. The aiptasia will start to bubble and break apart through the electrolysis process. In my case, I had 9-10 in my tank for months that were not spreading until I tried to kill them with the wand. Within a few weeks, they turned into literally hundreds. I don't know if it didn't work for me because I didn't get the whole Aiptasia since mine would hide in the holes of my pukani rocks, or if they release spores/offspring after being threatened/wounded. Either way, I wouldn't recommend trying one unless you want to increase the population? ;)

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 you can replenish all lost elements with WC schedule and no need to dose (my 8 gallon tank consumes 1 dkh daily)

2 water changes are the only way to go with small aquaria, skimmers in little tanks have no use (same person) -i do make 10% wc per week, but also dose alk, ca, mg, iodine and trace elements-

3 the more coralline algae you have the better for your sps (still same person)

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sureeee you can have that fish in your tank. While you are at it, you should really buy this nudibranch.... [emoji2360]

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bump

so that purposeful invasion of your aquarium stops, or, the proponents of the method show us some work undoing the extended invasion condition. we want to see how its undone when someone opts into the uglies phase, and then cannot get out such as below.

Crickets
silence

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i-know-about-the-“ugly”-stage-of-cycling-but-this-is-ridiculous.463242/page-10#post-6153416

that's called a cricket maker. A person willing to follow to the T today's reefing advice and then silence when noncompliance happens. left to fend, to start over (but has great resolve, a fighter they'll win)

its not that purposeful invasion of the initial setup/investment didn't build this hobby, it did. Evolution has happened on so many fronts though, why must that not evolve? what does it change into, if it does evolve?

For two decades online I watched the noncompliant tanks get unaddressed. If you really want to know the truth, I think book authors should be most accountable for working live time cure threads, but they're the most silent.
Books are safe zones and work threads are accountability zones, they should steer clear yep, lots on the line
shots fired lol

Last edited:

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 you can replenish all lost elements with WC schedule and no need to dose (my 8 gallon tank consumes 1 dkh daily)

2 water changes are the only way to go with small aquaria, skimmers in little tanks have no use (same person) -i do make 10% wc per week, but also dose alk, ca, mg, iodine and trace elements-

3 the more coralline algae you have the better for your sps (still same person)
Kept hearing a skimmer wouldnt make a difference on a 16gal. Finally after 8 - 9 months and reading enough on forums I decided I wanted one even if it did nothing.
Now thinking logically, a skimmer makes more of a difference on a small tank then a big one as small changes equal big results on small systems. I highly doubt ill ever run a tank without a skimmer now seeing how much it does on the small tank.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve probably received a lot of bad advice but I do my research to not follow through with 1 persons opinion.
Rule 1 of righting a report for school. Have multiple resources!!! And footnotes.

But common are “yes it’s reef safe”. 2 minutes on my phone and then show them what they almost sold to someone. The face they make is priceless. Research what you’re selling. Trolls

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve probably received a lot of bad advice but I do my research to not follow through with 1 persons opinion.
Rule 1 of righting a report for school. Have multiple resources!!! And footnotes.

But common are “yes it’s reef safe”. 2 minutes on my phone and then show them what they almost sold to someone. The face they make is priceless. Research what you’re selling. Trolls

I agree with your post - I would suggest Rule two would be a grammar checker :):):). Note I'm not one of those people that correct spelling - its just it was funny that you happened to use it in a 'writing' context:). Totally meant in fun

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back