The WORST advice EVER!!!!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah
You sound sincere we should take this to chat so we don't derail/w send. we have similar backrounds

At no time did I mention anything peer reviewed, you have links you can read above that are simple work. Turning tanks around, staying till job is done etc. I am showing you how rare and tough those threads are to work, by linking them. You can see how the keeper needs help, and how offers range all over the place in typical threads. But in the work thread I linked, we use 1 method to stop uglies phasing.

The bad advice in the hobby for new aquarists is to have them self infect with algae, cyano, diatoms and dinos, for years in some cases, then give them no clear direction on how to fix it is the point of everything Ive typed here.

Harold from above made it a point to try and troll in the sand rinse thread/ can see he's still unreformed (I don't learn new methods or science from his posts, they're always jibes) but we still collect lots of work there any interested parties can review-

Not everything has to be peer reviewed in reefing... peers aren't running the work threads fixing tanks its regular people doing the work. Again, if you have any work you've collected online in links, post it, Im interested.

inviting people to post their challenges right in your work thread as you instruct how to earn a fix, and sustain, is mighty humbling. Such that we've got 1 example so far despite multiple requests to see more.

w send more in message

Wait, do people tell others to put in diatoms or other things? I had a small phase of the uglies that lasted just a few weeks - but they occurred naturally. I surely didn't seed my tank with them. Granted my tank is just around 6 months old, so things could still happen, but my ugly phase never got super bad and, IMO my tank is looking amazing.

I would ignore anyone who told me to put something bad in my tank, if that's what you've seen people advise. And I'd likely politely ignore any future advise if they had told me to self-infect.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh

I was just meaning those invaders might/can/likely vector into new setups, and we're told to leave them alone basically...not that they're put in on purpose thanks for clarifying that. Despite all the hoopla lol, the action I advise is don't let them take over, simply clean them out until you don't have to, or employ special cheats that make you not have to clean them out very often but still take control over the initial workings of the tank.

Most of us started the hobby with an uglies phase, if your tank self corrected and never got it that bad then that's in line with how it works for many (but not all per the work threads) so the change I was recommending is that new keepers simply don't take the chance they wont go away, and be busier initially with cleaning/removal than we were told to be.

My point is an uglies phase is optional, not requisite, in reefing. To allow an uglies phase takes a massive chance on losing money and animals, or getting into a near permanent invasion issue. We do not have to take such chances at the start-we're allowed to clean if we want to and the early system has a better chance for long term success.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice?????

Go to Reef Central and chat with 20yrs olds
....(oh no he didn't just say that)

48-484250_lol-lol-clipart.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap for fowlr it works out fine. Ive got some algea issues thats ok. It just has fish. Adds a little movement to the tank.

My reef is a whole different story
I’ve been experimenting with a 10 gallon macro algae tank and using just tap. I have an artisan well with high tds and it seems just fine. A nice patch of algae on the back glass and that’s about it. I think the macro algaes like it too

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been experimenting with a 10 gallon macro algae tank and using just tap. I have an artisan well with high tds and it seems just fine. A nice patch of algae on the back glass and that’s about it. I think the macro algaes like it too
I've use tap, but I do condition h2o first or aerate for 3 days, I think, been awhile doing this.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as many die with QT as well. I never QT and had our fish from 8-10 years. As for bad advice goes: You can dose without testing...
It's just rolling the dice then. I used to never QT and thought the same way you do. Then I had a tank wipe out.

I'm not willing to go through that again.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just rolling the dice then. I used to never QT and thought the same way you do. Then I had a tank wipe out.

I'm not willing to go through that again.
I get it man, not trying to say your wrong or that QT is wrong. My point is if you don't QT and loose a fish then it's a big deal or someone is irresponsible but if you loose fish while in QT then it's looked at different like the fish was already sick or it's just part of the hobby. Believe me, I have nothing against QT, I just know there are many ways to reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back