The WORST advice EVER!!!!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just leave this here too....

Anyone who claims to have the ONE solution to a reefing issue, that will work for everyone, is a certifiable loony :)

I LOVE this!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ultimate bad advice

3DD04E55-A1C0-44D9-86D5-9B908D7B2B48.gif

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just leave this here too....

Anyone who claims to have the ONE solution to a reefing issue, that will work for everyone, is a certifiable loony :)

In other words, every single reefing equipment and supplement manufacturer. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I went to the fish store in the expensive town thinking that they cater to people who demand excellence.

Their initial advise cost me a few fish, and corals.

I at least knew enough to cycle the tank prior to walking in. They said the forums are to conservative. You don't have to QT. Corals will be fine. Just overfeed and the fish will fight off the ich. That valentini puffer will be fine with those shrimp you bought 4 weeks ago.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I went to the fish store in the expensive town thinking that they cater to people who demand excellence.

Their initial advise cost me a few fish, and corals.

I at least knew enough to cycle the tank prior to walking in. They said the forums are to conservative. You don't have to QT. Corals will be fine. Just overfeed and the fish will fight off the ich. That valentini puffer will be fine with those shrimp you bought 4 weeks ago.

Grrr

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs are ich magnets

My window shades will keep the light out

Brine shrimp is the only food my fish need

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My window shades will keep the light out

My shades do! But they're also made of wood.
Believe me, I definitely considered this before locating the tanks where they are. :)

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn your skimmer off, skip some water changes, and feed more to increase nitrates/phosphates. The tank was green (algae was using nutrient). What resulted was a red tank, carpet of cyano..

I have since learned the invaluable skill of sifting through BS from LFS or whomever. Plenty of good advice from different sources, but always do additional research before implementing what the guy who works at the LFS told you. The advice might be fine, but after reading through many forums on the topic on R2R, it may turn out to be the opposite of what you ought to do.

Thankful for this site and it’s participants

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn your skimmer off, skip some water changes, and feed more to increase nitrates/phosphates. The tank was green (algae was using nutrient). What resulted was a red tank, carpet of cyano..

I have since learned the invaluable skill of sifting through crap from LFS or whomever. Plenty of good advice from different sources, but always do additional research before implementing what the guy who works at the LFS told you. The advice might be fine, but after reading through many forums on the topic on R2R, it may turn out to be the opposite of what you ought to do.

Thankful for this site and it’s participants
Sometimes it’s best to learn the hard way i.e. the expensive way.

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing how much you learn your first year. I’m 8 months in and half as knowledgable as I’ll be in another 8 months. Sucks having to learn the hard way, but I think I’ll be all the better for it and be able to appreciate a beautiful, stable tank all the more once I get there!
Slow and steady wins the race

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS:

just put water in, add dry rock and dry sand, then right before you dump your entire stocklist in the tank, just add a bottle of this bacteria.

1 week later take water for testing to lfs

(ammonia reading off the charts): yeah that's fine, fish don't mind because of the stuff you added. relax!

couple of days later wake up to an entire dead tank of fish: oh you messed something up.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Bad advice hmmm I read the whole 6 pages (as of this post) and honestly most mistakes that I have had are do to my own fault. It’s easy to say one has bad advice (there are some clear cases that I just read lol), but speaking of me only I would hope that I have enough common sense to at least try and verifying something. Get more than one answer from reliable sources (which isn’t always easy).

My other thought is this and this isn’t directed to anyone or even in this thread. Is that people for example say using garlic is a bad idea etc. Yet, I have used it from day one every day and I have had very good luck. Now is that because I used it (who knows, is it luck because I didn’t get some nasty parasite who knows). But what I can say is life in my tank found away and it works. It may not work for someone else, something else may work better.

Another example and (please read this correctly lol) I 100% think water changes are ideal. With that said and on my tank literally doing 60 to 80 gallons every two weeks in a 240 did nothing to lower my nitrates and or phosphates. I have to carbon dose (I prefer not to, I prefer carrying five gallon water jugs that are half my weight all the time), why because it’s better for my tank. But for reasons, I have yet to understand as well as some others it doesn’t.

So again bad advice I don’t think there (other than obvious ones that have been listed), is any I have been told. There are different ways yes, do they work yes. Will they work for me meh maybe who knows. But at the end of the day, I have to make that decision based on what I see in front of me. It’s all about solving one problem, then moving on to the next and the next and eventually you get to enjoy your ocean.

Here is where I may get backlash and if so well it won’t be th first and certainly not the last. But sometimes when we have negative things happen in our tanks, we don’t embrace it. If our tanks were always thriving and happy and positive, what would we learn and gain from it? The negative is what makes us grow and learn and maybe understand life little more. I am not saying lol one should throw a party yay my tank crashed (obviously not etc) but when it happened what was the lesson (that person took from it)? There is no right or wrong answer, it’s just their answer. If I make a mistake on my tank, where I cause things to die, then it makes me want to make myself better. I don’t want things to die on me, I want them in my life. But that’s also the beauty of life we really can’t control it, we can’t make it last forever.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that what we do should be 'based' on science. but each individual tank is an art - the art of choosing which fish, coral etc - though those are also based science. Alkalinity testing is based on science. Etc etc.

If what you are saying is that there is no 'cookbook' approach that leads to a successful reef 'all of the time' I agree. Most of that though is not the problem of the cookbook or the 'science' its the fault of the cook's (so to speak) interpretation.

@Bleigh
@MnFish1

Moreover, on purely scientific advice being the end-all, be-all answers. I'm talking about posters answering your posted question with strict scientific regiments to "act-now" or you'll lose everything.

I feel pure scientific answers could potentially, but not always, be leaning towards bad advice in certain situations. Mainly bc the scientific advice giver doesn't know the whole situation. Heck, the person asking for advice doesn't know the whole situation. Thus a cookie cutter scientific answer could potentially be bad advice.....

What I'm saying is that strict science answers can only get you maybe ~80-90% of the way towards relative 100% success.

Dont get me wrong....Science is a HUUUUUGE factor in any husbandry skill set.

But, in my opinion, the other ~10-20% of how you react to a problem is an ART FORM .... that really cant be explained in words.

Perhaps patience rather kneejerk reacting is needed.

Maybe timing thru knowing what to look for....how and when to react.

Maybe even pure DUMB LUCK in a given situation..... all of which cant really be explained Scientifically bc there are 1,000 hidden factors in play to a single decision.

I'm saying buyer-beware when a poster gives what they think the 100% correct way to solve a problem thru a pure scientific answer.

Which begs to question: doesn't scientific advice from other readers usually leans towards REACT NOW, DO THIS NOW.....when what is needed is timing and patience????? Hmmmmmm.

I just get frustrated with advice on ANY reefing board when the poster is hung up on "I'm 100% correct in my thinking....and you're wrong".

That attitude to me is potentially BAD ADVICE

:);):D:p

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back