The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the flasher wrasse, had a diamond tail before, I was thinking maybe a carpenters, red tail, or a McCoskers fairy wrasse or like a blue throat .
I don't mean to be pompous here, but simply for the sake of clarity: "blue throat" recently has been used in regards to Cirrhilabrus cf. tonozukai. But also, there is the blue flasher, Paracheilinus cyaneus.
I was just looking to see if any one had ideas for kind of wrasse or how many for a tank this size. I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 Paracheilinus octotaenia and a Lineatus wrasse and 2 flame wrasse. If thats too much maybe another combination.
Thanks
I would also urge you to avoid pairs or multiple specimens of the same species, especially in this size of tank. There's a section on that here, and a link to another article within it: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

Could you convince vendors of this??;) I'm constantly seeing pair and trios for sales. It's maddening.
If only it were that simple...
Bear in mind that collectors cannot simply target just males or females, and there are more females in a group than males. Therefore, it's inevitable that retailers will always end up with males and females, and likely more of the latter. But then, you must add in the complication of the average buyer only wanting to buy the "supermales". So vendors often have to "pan off" the females they have alongside the males.
I see it more as a matter of education; more people just need to learn about how buying females is not only cheaper, but then you get to watch them transition! :)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So vendors often have to "pan off" the females they have alongside the males.
I see it more as a matter of education; more people just need to learn about how buying females is not only cheaper, but then you get to watch them transition! :)

That's why it's maddening to me! I want the females!!
a) I'm cheap
b) I want to watch them transition

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why it's maddening to me! I want the females!!
a) I'm cheap
b) I want to watch them transition
We need the latter to become the norm!
Lots of hobbyists are cheap, but most are also impatient. Which is perfectly fitting, since everything good happens quickly in this game. o_O

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

Thanks Hunter,

I thought buying pairs was the way to go. I thought the super males were way over priced Anyway and I have gotten the most enjoyment out of the wrasse that do change from male to female. and I like a variety of species.

I read your articles and appreciate all the great info.
You have helped me a lot to direct my choices
I am going to look for females of different species, paying attention to aggression patterns you noted.

I’m truly grateful
Thanks

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^LOL

but ouch!

You're probably justified to be worried, but to TJ's point it might be better in the long run.

Carlon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't see it outside the DT. Going to pick up a cleaner crew tomorrow so that will take care of the other option. And some egg crate now that I have had my first MIA event.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate really doesn't make a good cover for jumpers. If the head fits, the fish fits. Small guys will go right through it.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will all lone female, flame wrasses for instance, transition to male?

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before the process usually starts, or is it all different?

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ec1b05c166f5504320eb6815c68af5b5.jpg

My new leopard out and about!!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. lineatus is one of my favorites and C. laboutei is an under rated fairy wrasse IMO.

Is that two mimic tangs? Beautiful tank!

Back