The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which species of Halichoeres wrasse, if any, might be suitable in a 40 breeder with open aquascape?

There will be a yellowhead jawfish tankmate if it matters.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, helps alot when researching more info. I read max 12cm , 5". Is that accurate to your knowledge.

Had mine for almost 3 years & she's not grown much in that time - probably still 3.5" be lucky if she's got 0.5" bigger - amazing gentle personality the Anampses.

24570157514_705346ca94_z.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which species of Halichoeres wrasse, if any, might be suitable in a 40 breeder with open aquascape?

There will be a yellowhead jawfish tankmate if it matters.
Leucurus, biocellatus, leucoxanthus, chrysus, are a few that may work.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my wrasse looks a little beat up. What do you guys recommend? What concerns me the most is the spot on the right side of the midsection. Her mouth also looks worse.
2ade486e38e047b13e894c55aff25aa1.jpg
53682f5491ec477a68991bf22fd2b952.jpg

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the spot reddish in color? Looks similar to a bacteria infection that my orange back had. I served a combo of kanaplex, metroplex, focus, silicon, and garlic all mixed in with the food(mix of frozen and pellets). Might want to post this over in the fish treatment forum too.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the spot reddish in color? Looks similar to a bacteria infection that my orange back had. I served a combo of kanaplex, metroplex, focus, silicon, and garlic all mixed in with the food(mix of frozen and pellets). Might want to post this over in the fish treatment forum too.

It looks orange and kinda like it’s missing a scale or two. I’m wondering if it was my female clown. She had eggs that hatched a few days ago, usually the wrasse chases her back to the anemone but now it looks like the clown is dominating.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s more than one spot. I’ll be posting where you mentioned also.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my new, tiny, M. meleagris. She was chased around a little bit by my H. chrysus, but now they are all getting along fine. She was eating well at the fish store and is now a voracious picker at the rocks/sand in my tank.
2017-12-18-MeleagrisWrasse.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my new, tiny, M. meleagris. She was chased around a little bit by my H. chrysus, but now they are all getting along fine. She was eating well at the fish store and is now a voracious picker at the rocks/sand in my tank.
2017-12-18-MeleagrisWrasse.jpg

I hope you have sand for him to burrow. I always found qting species like macropharyngodon, halichoeres and anampses raised my ability to keep them successfully alive for long time as they had time to get used to my food before being competed in display tanks with other wrasses. Plus it took care of intestinal parasites these wrasses are prone to .

Regards,
Abhishek

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have sand for him to burrow. I always found qting species like macropharyngodon, halichoeres and anampses raised my ability to keep them successfully alive for long time as they had time to get used to my food before being competed in display tanks with other wrasses. Plus it took care of intestinal parasites these wrasses are prone to .

Regards,
Abhishek

There is sand. I should have mentioned it, because the picture is misleading. I just have quite a bit of flow so the sand is piled up on one end. I have watched him get some food during feedings, but you are right they are a little more tentative than some of my other fish. Fortunately I have a 55 gallon refugium and a big tub of rock rubble in my sump, so there is a ton of microfauna for him to graze on around the tank. I am kind of considering the 2 per day feedings to be supplemental to the microfauna at this point (as if it were a mandarin).

I do know they are worm prone. The shop I got him from treats put it through a round of prazi treatment and get them established with feeding. I have had so much better luck with fish from our local stores that I have watched and they have medicated, I am reluctant to buy any directly online again. I hope this one does well, because they are certainly very cool fish.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is sand. I should have mentioned it, because the picture is misleading. I just have quite a bit of flow so the sand is piled up on one end. I have watched him get some food during feedings, but you are right they are a little more tentative than some of my other fish. Fortunately I have a 55 gallon refugium and a big tub of rock rubble in my sump, so there is a ton of microfauna for him to graze on around the tank. I am kind of considering the 2 per day feedings to be supplemental to the microfauna at this point (as if it were a mandarin).

I do know they are worm prone. The shop I got him from treats put it through a round of prazi treatment and get them established with feeding. I have had so much better luck with fish from our local stores that I have watched and they have medicated, I am reluctant to buy any directly online again. I hope this one does well, because they are certainly very cool fish.

Awesome Husker !!! Yes, I would definitely feed it more than twice a day. I feed my macropharyngodon, halichoeres and anampses apart from all the grazing they do . Its amazing to see fat sand burrowing wrasses lol !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. With all the algae/seagrass sucking out the nutrients, I almost can't overfeed. I'll try to get in some more feedings to see if I can get it nice and fat.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. With all the algae/seagrass sucking out the nutrients, I almost can't overfeed. I'll try to get in some more feedings to see if I can get it nice and fat.

Hopefully you got all acros affected with AEFW out of the system . If not, the leopards will enjoy a meal :)
Although am not sure if macropharyngodons enjoy eating flatworms . Am sure Halichoeres does a lot !!!

Side Note - They generally LOVE LRS reef and fish frenzy and blackworms if you can source clean ones.

Regards,
Abhishek

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you got all acros affected with AEFW out of the system . If not, the leopards will enjoy a meal :)
Although am not sure if macropharyngodons enjoy eating flatworms . Am sure Halichoeres does a lot !!!

Side Note - They generally LOVE LRS reef and fish frenzy and blackworms if you can source clean ones.

Regards,
Abhishek

Somebody local is going to buy off all of my AEFW Acros and try to save them. In the mean time, I'll let my Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon clean up the few that are clinging around as I go Acro-fallow for the next few months. I'm definitely not letting anything skip the Bayer dip next time around...

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry Im sure that this has been covered in the 351 pages but is there a wrasse that would possibly help with keeping aefw in check and not have my shrimp for dinner? I use to have a melanarus and all my shrimp kept disappearing. I rehomed it and now I am starting to see aefw again. Thus I would like to get another wrasse. Any suggestions. I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 6 peppermint shrimp in my 180 gallon tank now.
thanks
Jeff

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider a possum wrasse or pink-streaked wrasse. Both very small and peaceful, spending much of their time examining the rockwork (often interior rockwork - they can be a bit cryptic) for morsels to snack on. If you're not working with tiny shrimp like sexies, a leopard wrasse might offer some assistance, as well.

~Bruce

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree with Bruce's suggestions . The ones that would absolutely help you are leopards, Halichoeres and anampses but no guarantee on shrimps .
If you want to venture out of the way and would like a little challenge , a pipe fish would do wonders against those buggers but first you have qt it properly and make it eat frozen .

Regards,
Abhishek

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back