The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. gatekeeperdi

gatekeeperdi Member UK Reef Club Member

Thanks. Is it likely to change to a male in time? There are also numerous other wrasse, Macropharyngodon Cyanoguttatus Wrasse Female, Halichoeres iridis juvenile female, Anampses Lineatus Female, Paracheilinus mccoskeri, Hawaiian black spot cleaner in the tank. Thanks.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I would remove the H. chloropterus. They get big, lose their color, and get aggressive, especially toward other wrasses.

3. Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman Member

What do y’all think about the bluehead wrasse?

4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

A good choice for a fowlr, not a great choice for a reef. Can be aggressive towards peaceful fish, fits well with aggressive and semi-aggressive fish.

5. Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman Member

The bluehead is about the only one I was interested that LA has in stock.

6. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018

See them all the time while diving the Caribbean. Constantly in motion and usually chasing something. The juvies are completely different (bright yellow) and seem to sometimes hang out around anemones.

7. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Member

Question for the experienced Wrasse owners out there, I just purchased a beautiful Dusky Wrasse (about a week ago, will post pics on this thread once I get a good shot) and he has his own sleep schedule, like my Melanurus. The only issue is he goes to bed 2 hours before the lights turn off (9), and 7-9 are the hours I'm most free to look at the tank (school during day + work at home once I get back). Once a sand sleeping wrasse develops its sleep routine, does it ever change/adjust? or is this a fixed thing?

8. eatbreakfast

It will adjust it's sleep schedule. Feeding a few minutes before it buries can help keep it out longer.

Abhishek likes this.
  9. Bug235

Bug235 Active Member

Just added a male and female rubrimarginatus wrasses to my Wrasse collection in my 150 IMG_7487.jpg Reef. Here is the lineup: Scotts, lineatus, labouti , Katherine, mccoskers and the two new guys. They all hang out together except the mccosker wrasse.

saltyhog likes this.
  10. ascheff

ascheff Member

A quick update on this girl. She's been in my display just over two weeks now, after spending a few days in an acclimation box. She's doing great and gets along with all the others. None of the existing wrasses gave her any issues at all and she often hangs out with the C. katherinae and C. isosceles. She's also colored up a lot compared to the pale pink she was when I got her. Thanks again @eatbreakfast and @Abhishek for the advice, I'm glad I took her straight to my display. Not sure I would have kept up with feeding her in my frag tank as much as she evidently likes to eat, as you can see by her full figure.

IMG_20180114_161020.jpg

11. TreyC2010

TreyC2010 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Wow she did color up nicely. Awesome!

12. Abhishek

Abhishek Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad

I generally tend to change the light schedules along with feeding half an hour before the light switches off to help them switch the sleep cycles .

Still have my oldest blue star wake up lazily at 10 am in the morning and go to bed by 7 pm.

Regards,
    Abhishek

13. Abhishek

Looking great and glad to help .
    Since you took her directly to the DT , be on the lookout for anything suspicious . If so , hope you have a 10-20 gallon tank that you can use for hospital purpose .

Hope she continues to be healthy and eating voraciously.

Regards,
    Abhishek

Bug235 likes this.
  14. ascheff

ascheff Member

Sorry, I meant straight to my display after 12 days of daily tank transfers, instead of first into my frag tank until she is more the size of my other wrasses.

Abhishek likes this.
  15. Abhishek

I misunderstood and my bad !!! Awesome job .

Regards,
    Abhishek

ascheff likes this.
  16. ascheff

ascheff Member

No problem, I thought you may have misunderstood. Luckily my days of adding newly bought fish, as well as coral and inverts, right to my display is long gone. I have way to much to lose, so everything goes into QT first. Usually I would combine tank transfer with Prazi and ParaGuard for fish, which I did however skip with her, just because she is so small and I was unsure if she would handle full dosage well. Instead I just did the transfers and watched her daily for anything unusual.

Empress likes this.
  17. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Member

Update: It seems he has adjusted his schedule, he is going to sleep on time now, still haven't gotten a good picture, he never stays put :(

18. Bug235

Bug235 Active Member

I have a 150 mix reef, for three years now and have never QT my fish, mostly fairy wrasses, trust me QT is the right thing to do for fish and coral before DT 100% but I just never have, I don’t add fish that often to have a second tank going but I guess I could always fire up when going to add a fish but I just never have. I dip my corals prior to DT. I guess I’m just lucky. I have a Rhomboid wrasse coming maybe I should this time :)

19. Cameron Wise

Cameron Wise Active Member

Sweet little yellow wrasse[​IMG]

Empress and AnakinReefWalker like this.
  20. OrionN

OrionN Anemones R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

First venture into Fairy Wrasse after many years. Saw this at my LFS and just got to have him. This is a Sailfin Fairy Wrasse. A new species yet un-named but recently imported to the US. Back in 2016 these guys sold for 600-800 each but is much cheaper now.
    BTW, please excuse my dirty tank.
    From my research, this is a hardy and a little on the aggressive side for Fairy Wrasses. This beauty already eat his fill in my aquarium. The first picture is a little faded due to flash, even if the whole picture is accurate in color. The second picture is more accurate according to my eyeball test, but even this one is not doing this fish justice. Dark metallic iridescence throat, Brick red dorsal and upper body coloration, fuschia anal find and part of the dorsal fins, all highlight with various spots and line of blue, black and yellow. This fish is a looker if I ever see one. I will take my camera out and see if I can get a few better pictures of him.
    It is too bad that he may loose some of the coloration if I don't keep him with females or rival males. Have him in my 65 gal tank right now. I am getting my 320 gal ready and will get him in there in the future with few more fairy and flasher wrasses.
    Doing research on this guy, not an easy thing since initially I cannot ID him, lead me to really consider adding wrasses to my eventual DT in the future. Maybe not a tank full of wrasses but at least a harem or group of related species. It is likely that I will not be able to get females of this species. If this is the case I will have to settle for females of related species.
    SailfinFW2018011901.jpg SailfinFW2018011902.jpg

tkiry1, Empress and leahfiish like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted