The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are two of my fairy wrasses. I also have a lubbocki. In all, I have 4 wrasses; 3 fairy, 1 melanurus.

red velvet.jpg
C. rubrisquamis
A gentle giant in my tank. This fish loves to eat and eats everything. Nori, pellets, frozen, whatever. A little pig.

rubriventralis flair.jpg
C. rubriventralis
This guy is the boss of the wrasses. I've had him for at least 2 yrs now. He has recently started displaying his mating colors.
Great shot of the rubriventralis!

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year, we have added a few wrasses to our tank. They are quickly becoming a favorite in our tank. Our first, a Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus, we have had since we started in the hobby almost 4 years ago. We now have 5 in our tank. Out of the 5 we have, 3 I am certain of their names. They are Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus exquisitus and the Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus. We have 2 others that I am not 100% sure of their correct names. One we were told was a yellow coris wrasse but when I search for it online, it's not the same as the pictures. The other we were just told a flasher wrasse. I am posting pics of all but the bluestreak for positive id please. Is there any way to tell if these are male or female?

20180128_151746.jpg

20180128_151849.jpg

20180128_151942.jpg

20180128_152056.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year, we have added a few wrasses to our tank. They are quickly becoming a favorite in our tank. Our first, a Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus, we have had since we started in the hobby almost 4 years ago. We now have 5 in our tank. Out of the 5 we have, 3 I am certain of their names. They are Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus exquisitus and the Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Labroides dimidiatus. We have 2 others that I am not 100% sure of their correct names. One we were told was a yellow coris wrasse but when I search for it online, it's not the same as the pictures. The other we were just told a flasher wrasse. I am posting pics of all but the bluestreak for positive id please. Is there any way to tell if these are male or female?

20180128_151746.jpg

20180128_151849.jpg

20180128_151942.jpg

20180128_152056.jpg
The top pic is either C. rubeus or C. joanallenae. If the pelvic fins are red, it's rubeus, if they are black it's joanallenae. It is a male regardless of species.

The second pic is definitely H. chrysus. If it has green and orange striping in the face it is male.

The id on the cf. cyanopleura is correct. The exquisite wrasse is an Indian Ocean variant. Both are males.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than
The top pic is either C. rubeus or C. joanallenae. If the pelvic fins are red, it's rubeus, if they are black it's joanallenae. It is a male regardless of species.

The second pic is definitely H. chrysus. If it has green and orange striping in the face it is male.

The id on the cf. cyanopleura is correct. The exquisite wrasse is an Indian Ocean variant. Both are males.
Thanks for the quick reply. I love my wrasses. When we upgrade to a bigger tank, I will be getting a few more. Their colors are beautiful and it's interesting to watch their colors change depending on the situation.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are two of my fairy wrasses. I also have a lubbocki. In all, I have 4 wrasses; 3 fairy, 1 melanurus.

red velvet.jpg
C. rubrisquamis
A gentle giant in my tank. This fish loves to eat and eats everything. Nori, pellets, frozen, whatever. A little pig.

rubriventralis flair.jpg
C. rubriventralis
This guy is the boss of the wrasses. I've had him for at least 2 yrs now. He has recently started displaying his mating colors.
Amazing photos!

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I currently have a African Exquisite Fairy wrasse terminal phase male in a 200 gallon (160 display) aquarium.

I want to add a second Fairy wrasse, specifically the Blue Throat Sailfin Hybrid fairy wrasse. Live Aquaria considers the fish peaceful, but the article here has it as aggressive.

What are everyone's thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I currently have a African Exquisite Fairy wrasse terminal phase male in a 200 gallon (160 display) aquarium.

I want to add a second Fairy wrasse, specifically the Blue Throat Sailfin Hybrid fairy wrasse. Live Aquaria considers the fish peaceful, but the article here has it as aggressive.

What are everyone's thoughts?
In that size tank they should be fine together.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank they should be fine together.

Thanks.

After I wrote that post, Philippines Lunate fairy wrasse terminal phase sale is also available for purchase. What a beautiful fish and considered peaceful. Almost double the price. Not sure what to do now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

After I wrote that post, Philippines Lunate fairy wrasse terminal phase sale is also available for purchase. What a beautiful fish and considered peaceful. Almost double the price. Not sure what to do now.
The lunatus is significantly more peaceful than the blue throat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back