The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a single individual of seperate species for Halichoeres, fairy, and flasher wrasses. You can keep harems of Anampses, Pseudojuloides, and leopard wrasses.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria has Leopard Wrasses listed as expert only. How true is this?

Well from my experience with them they are not easy fish to get acclimated to eating these days I have been having luck with that part since I started using R.O.E and rods original in qt. My problem now is copper lost a few in copper power so will be going back to cupramine as I had better luck with it with wrasses.

So if you make it through qt and have lots of pods in your DT and get them to eat regular food also you should be good I feel.

Some leopards are harder than others to get to start eating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria has Leopard Wrasses listed as expert only. How true is this?
The first 2 weeks are the hardest. They don't ship well and often can be picky eaters. But once you get them eating, treated for parasites, and settledb they can be quite hardy.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In scientific names what does cf. stand for. For example the cf. in Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus.
Also what does sp. mean in Cirrhilabrus sp.?

cf is for confer. Often used for new species that are not yet described, but which holds a strong resemblance to a known species.
sp is for species. Often used when only the genus is knows, so the meaning a species of the genus.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cf is for confer. Often used for new species that are not yet described, but which holds a strong resemblance to a known species.
sp is for species. Often used when only the genus is knows, so the meaning a species of the genus.

I also have to add that cf is a name that a scientist would give a species. Just because two fish look similar to me, doesn't mean I can give it such a name, as there is more than just outward appearance involved.
sp however is used more loosely, so often is just used if someone doesn't know a species. Technically, you could call any fairy wrasse a Cirrhilabrus sp, and not be wrong.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In scientific names what does cf. stand for. For example the cf. in Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus.
Also what does sp. mean in Cirrhilabrus sp.?
Cf. does in fact mean confer or compare to in latin. To use your example, Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus usually refers to the pin tail fairy. If you look up C. lanceolatus it is similar but clearly not a pin tail other than it has a pointed tail. The pin tail had not been "officially named" so it was comparable to the lanceolatus. Btw, as of a couple years ago it was named. It is now officially C. isoceles. Some stores and vendors still refer to the cf name.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working in the tank and decided to actually break out the good camera for some wrasse shots.....
LRM_EXPORT_20180121_153108.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20180121_153408.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20180123_063320.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have to add that cf is a name that a scientist would give a species. Just because two fish look similar to me, doesn't mean I can give it such a name, as there is more than just outward appearance involved.
sp however is used more loosely, so often is just used if someone doesn't know a species. Technically, you could call any fairy wrasse a Cirrhilabrus sp, and not be wrong.

Cf. does in fact mean confer or compare to in latin. To use your example, Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus usually refers to the pin tail fairy. If you look up C. lanceolatus it is similar but clearly not a pin tail other than it has a pointed tail. The pin tail had not been "officially named" so it was comparable to the lanceolatus. Btw, as of a couple years ago it was named. It is now officially C. isoceles. Some stores and vendors still refer to the cf name.
^spot on definitions.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wrasses! I love the last one, what kind of wrasse is it?
The last one is a McCoskers flasher wrasse. Surprisingly, he's the boldest of them all. My Lineatus, despite being about double the size of the other 2, is a giant pansy and freaks out and hides a lot.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are two of my fairy wrasses. I also have a lubbocki. In all, I have 4 wrasses; 3 fairy, 1 melanurus.

red velvet.jpg
C. rubrisquamis
A gentle giant in my tank. This fish loves to eat and eats everything. Nori, pellets, frozen, whatever. A little pig.

rubriventralis flair.jpg
C. rubriventralis
This guy is the boss of the wrasses. I've had him for at least 2 yrs now. He has recently started displaying his mating colors.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back