The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the Halichoeres wrasses I think H. chrysus is one of the most invert safe. I never had any problems with mine going after snails or shrimp despite the fact that he was approaching 6" in size.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me ID this wrasse? My LFS has had it in the frag tank for 5-6 months with no issues and said it was friendly with the melenarus (also pictured).

Thanks

Matt

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171223_160615.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry Im sure that this has been covered in the 351 pages but is there a wrasse that would possibly help with keeping aefw in check and not have my shrimp for dinner? I use to have a melanarus and all my shrimp kept disappearing. I rehomed it and now I am starting to see aefw again. Thus I would like to get another wrasse. Any suggestions. I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 6 peppermint shrimp in my 180 gallon tank now.
thanks
Jeff
Anything that will be effective against aefw will be a risk with shrimp.

Possum and pink streak wrasse may consume some and would be safe with shrimp, but due to their small size and cryptic nature may not eliminate the flat worms.

Halichoeres have done a good job in my experience, but as they get bigger are more of a risk to shrimp.

Leopards have been reluctant to eat aefw ime.

Pseudojuloides species will pick at flat worms and are pretty shrimp safe.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all, I made a stupid impulse buy and listened to my LFS and bought a juvenile red coris wrasse and am now finding out that they are a terror to have in the tank. Anyone have any luck with them in a reef or should I just try to pull him out and move on to another wrasse.

I have fish only and my guy is getting nasty... Lol.. Try and pull him.. Great looking fish though...

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that will be effective against aefw will be a risk with shrimp.

Possum and pink streak wrasse may consume some and would be safe with shrimp, but due to their small size and cryptic nature may not eliminate the flat worms.

Halichoeres have done a good job in my experience, but as they get bigger are more of a risk to shrimp.

Leopards have been reluctant to eat aefw ime.

Pseudojuloides species will pick at flat worms and are pretty shrimp safe.

Exactly !!! Well I would add Anampses along with Halichoeres for flatworms . Am poor to afford lennardis or feminis but cheysocephalus that I have was introduced in my friend's tank infested with flatworms and it literally dessimated them .
However , of all Halichoeres I would be cautious of adding H.Melanarus as I have found them to get mean with age .
But my observations might be wrong as am still novice learning here from experienced guys like @eatbreakfast abd @Maritimer .

On a side note - guys am super excited to have picked up a trio of Halichoeres iridis that are in qt .
Am slowly converting my tank to Maceopharyngdon , Anampses and Halichoeres and Psedojuloides only and someday have all my dream ones in the soon to be started 220 gallon tank

Does anyone know what happened to Halichoeres Rubricephalus ? I have been trying for over a year to source some .

Regards,
Abhishek

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly !!! Well I would add Anampses along with Halichoeres for flatworms . Am poor to afford lennardis or feminis but cheysocephalus that I have was introduced in my friend's tank infested with flatworms and it literally dessimated them .
However , of all Halichoeres I would be cautious of adding H.Melanarus as I have found them to get mean with age .
But my observations might be wrong as am still novice learning here from experienced guys like @eatbreakfast abd @Maritimer .

On a side note - guys am super excited to have picked up a trio of Halichoeres iridis that are in qt .
Am slowly converting my tank to Maceopharyngdon , Anampses and Halichoeres and Psedojuloides only and someday have all my dream ones in the soon to be started 220 gallon tank

Does anyone know what happened to Halichoeres Rubricephalus ? I have been trying for over a year to source some .

Regards,
Abhishek
H. rubricephalus is never super abundant. They are only found in a very limited range near the Bangaii atoll.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some advice please. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a little Paracheilinus piscilineatus female. She'll be finishing 12 days of TTM tomorrow, is very active and eats very well. She is however very tiny. To illustrate just how tiny, I've included a photo of her in front of a 50mm / almost 2 inch PVC fitting for scale.

Therein lies my uncertainty. I'm somewhat hesitant to add her to my display tank, concerned that she might not be able to compete with the other fishes for food. The bigger and most dominant are H. marginatus, H. leucoxanthus, a pair of lapillus and a C. lineatus. There are a bunch a smaller ones too, all the way down to the smallest, a P. ataenia and Elacatinus oceanops, that are both fat and have no problem fending for themselves. Both are smaller than the new girl.

The alternative would be to add her to my frag tank in my sump for a few months, which is about 20" x 20" x 15" with rock and plenty of live food. I'm however not convinced this is the best plan either, as these are social creatures by nature, and spending months in solitary at such a young age might cause issues later.

Anyone have any personal experience adding such a young wrasse with a bunch of adult wrasses?

IMG_20171226_123433_2.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some advice please. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a little Paracheilinus piscilineatus female. She'll be finishing 12 days of TTM tomorrow, is very active and eats very well. She is however very tiny. To illustrate just how tiny, I've included a photo of her in front of a 50mm / almost 2 inch PVC fitting for scale.

Therein lies my uncertainty. I'm somewhat hesitant to add her to my display tank, concerned that she might not be able to compete with the other fishes for food. The bigger and most dominant are H. marginatus, H. leucoxanthus, a pair of lapillus and a C. lineatus. There are a bunch a smaller ones too, all the way down to the smallest, a P. ataenia and Elacatinus oceanops, that are both fat and have no problem fending for themselves. Both are smaller than the new girl.

The alternative would be to add her to my frag tank in my sump for a few months, which is about 20" x 20" x 15" with rock and plenty of live food. I'm however not convinced this is the best plan either, as these are social creatures by nature, and spending months in solitary at such a young age might cause issues later.

Anyone have any personal experience adding such a young wrasse with a bunch of adult wrasses?

It should be fine being added to the group, but going into the frag tank will not cause problems later on.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would use an acclimation box to socialize the newbie to the group for a few days and then introduce in the main tank .
If he's eating well and strong enough , she can stand her ground and make her way . But I would observe their behavior through the acclimation box and take next steps .
Sometimes while introducing small wrasses , I often take the bigger ones that's bullying everyone out for a day or 2 and then release the smaller ones . Did so twice and it helped level the playground when the big one was reintroduced .

Regards,
Abhishek

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you gentlemen.

It should be fine being added to the group

This is reassuring, and would be what I prefer.

I would use an acclimation box to socialize the newbie to the group for a few days and then introduce in the main tank .

This I'll definitely do. Since she is so small she'll have no problem spending couple of days in there until I'm convinced there will be no problems after introduction.

Sometimes while introducing small wrasses , I often take the bigger ones that's bullying everyone out for a day or 2 and then release the smaller ones

Luckily I have no bullies. Some get a bit pushy during feeding time (looking at you Mr. Marginatus), but never aggressive. There are definite hierarchies, but everyone knows their place, so I get nothing more that the occasional posturing and short chases to maintain the status quo.

Thanks again.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ, is P. attenuatus availability seasonal? I don't seem to have seen any offered in some time now. Who has them most often?
Intermittent individuals come in through Kenya or Madagascar, but the numbers that were coming in a few years ago stopped. When they were more frequently available they were coming out of Kenya, but they seem to have migrated away from where they were being collected. But it doesn't seem to be seasonal, because, at least for a temporary part of the year they would be available, but it's been a couple of years now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's currently a female.
Thanks. Is it likely to change to a male in time? There are also numerous other wrasse, Macropharyngodon Cyanoguttatus Wrasse Female, Halichoeres iridis juvenile female, Anampses Lineatus Female, Paracheilinus mccoskeri, Hawaiian black spot cleaner in the tank. Thanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Is it likely to change to a male in time? There are also numerous other wrasse, Macropharyngodon Cyanoguttatus Wrasse Female, Halichoeres iridis juvenile female, Anampses Lineatus Female, Paracheilinus mccoskeri, Hawaiian black spot cleaner in the tank. Thanks.
I would remove the H. chloropterus. They get big, lose their color, and get aggressive, especially toward other wrasses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back