The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about a newly purchased xmas wrasse. is it normal for these guys to have an early bed-time? i usually can see him early before lights on before i go to work, but by the time i get home, which is in the middle of full lighting, he is back in bed. makes it difficult to feed as all of my other fish are bedded down not looking for food when i leave in the morning. just wondering if this is normal behavior or if he is still acclimating to the new tank, been in for about 2 weeks.

This is normal. He needs to get used to your day/night schedule. Mine is up early also and first fish to go to sleep.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always drop a few pellets in the tank before I leave for work. My melanurus wrasse is so spoiled ..lol he will eat out of my hand.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time deciding between a lineatus or a rhomboid.

Right now there aren't as far as i can see a lineatus female available anywhere (at LFS or online), while at least one online retailer has a rhomboid.

They are both beautiful, but if people have any comments in terms of hardiness/peacefulness (i know lineatus on the chart is a bit more aggressive) or any other comments about them that would be useful please let me know.

I seem to read more reports of rhomboids having swim bladder problems(?) And more people at least on this thread have lineatus rather than rhomboids.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a wrasse from LFS maybe 4". When I asked about it they told me it's a pacific wrasse. Tamarin... Google search and I came up with Yellow tail Tamarin. I couldn't get a good shot of it. It looks alot like pic attached. White spots,yellow tail,and red looking upper body. What does this wrasse look like as a adult? Any info would be great. Thanks
Screenshot_20171208-195320.png

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a yellowtail tamarin wrasse, Anampses meleagrides. Adult males are pretty cool looking too, different from the females; dusky overall with shades of red and pink scattered about and a green flick to each scale. Their tail isn't forked - but a black chevron outlined in electric blue lies at the tip of it, making it _look_ as though their tail is oxblood red with blue spots - and deeply forked.

~Bruce

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all, I made a stupid impulse buy and listened to my LFS and bought a juvenile red coris wrasse and am now finding out that they are a terror to have in the tank. Anyone have any luck with them in a reef or should I just try to pull him out and move on to another wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a wrasse from LFS maybe 4". When I asked about it they told me it's a pacific wrasse. Tamarin... Google search and I came up with Yellow tail Tamarin. I couldn't get a good shot of it. It looks alot like pic attached. White spots,yellow tail,and red looking upper body. What does this wrasse look like as a adult? Any info would be great. Thanks
Screenshot_20171208-195320.png

That's a yellowtail tamarin wrasse, Anampses meleagrides. Adult males are pretty cool looking too, different from the females; dusky overall with shades of red and pink scattered about and a green flick to each scale. Their tail isn't forked - but a black chevron outlined in electric blue lies at the tip of it, making it _look_ as though their tail is oxblood red with blue spots - and deeply forked.

~Bruce
There are 2 similar looking Anampses species that are spotted with yellow on the tail as juveniles/females. The OP posted a pic of a female A. melanurus, their spots are bigger, and while they have yellow on their tail, it has black after the yellow. Males look like this:
tn_melanurus2_jpg.jpg

Then there is A. meleagrides, females have smaller spots and an all yellow tail, like this:
download.jpeg

And as males look like this:
151-3_pa281232_anampses_meleagrides_male.jpg

Quick question for you all, I made a stupid impulse buy and listened to my LFS and bought a juvenile red coris wrasse and am now finding out that they are a terror to have in the tank. Anyone have any luck with them in a reef or should I just try to pull him out and move on to another wrasse.
They aren't too aggressive, they get big, eat inverts, and flip over rocks and coral.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great I have a another rock flipper! Seems to share some of the same traits as my red coris.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any insights about rhomboids versus lineatus? Obviously would love both, but looks like won't be compatible in a 120g system. ANyone here with good experiences with healthy rhomboids? Healthy Lineatus?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any insights about rhomboids versus lineatus? Obviously would love both, but looks like won't be compatible in a 120g system. ANyone here with good experiences with healthy rhomboids? Healthy Lineatus?
They are both great species. Rhomboidalis is smaller and a little more peaceful. Either would do well in a 120g.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @Maritimer - ant experience with Pseudojuliodes Cerasinus ? Think it's the easiest of Psedojuloides species .
I have currently blue star leopards , red tail tamarins , Halichoeres Iridis and thinking of getting one cerasinus ?

Regards,
Abhishek

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a melanurus yesterday and he went straight down and burrowed in the sand. When should I expect an appearance / get worried if he hasn't? Nada overnight.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @Maritimer - ant experience with Pseudojuliodes Cerasinus ? Think it's the easiest of Psedojuloides species .
I have currently blue star leopards , red tail tamarins , Halichoeres Iridis and thinking of getting one cerasinus ?

Regards,
Abhishek
Pseudojuloides are comparable to leopards. Treat them the same and they will do well.

Picked up a melanurus yesterday and he went straight down and burrowed in the sand. When should I expect an appearance / get worried if he hasn't? Nada overnight.
Burying for a few days is not on unusual. They may even bury for a few weeks, but that isn't too common. Don't go digging around for it.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 similar looking Anampses species that are spotted with yellow on the tail as juveniles/females. The OP posted a pic of a female A. melanurus, their spots are bigger, and while they have yellow on their tail, it has black after the yellow. Males look like this:
tn_melanurus2_jpg.jpg

Then there is A. meleagrides, females have smaller spots and an all yellow tail, like this:
download.jpeg

And as males look like this:
151-3_pa281232_anampses_meleagrides_male.jpg

They aren't too aggressive, they get big, eat inverts, and flip over rocks and coral.
IMG_20171210_122059745_BURST001.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back