The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I feel so bad for you. I had that happen with my choati and I was so mad at myself. I had removed my screen during a water change and did not notice he had jumped out during the few minutes the screen was off and I had walked away from the tank. These wrasse seem to defy all odds with their jumping abilities.
    I hope you are able to find another red hooded. I had one in my last tank and they are super nice.

2. primo21

primo21 Well-Known Member

Question about a newly purchased xmas wrasse. is it normal for these guys to have an early bed-time? i usually can see him early before lights on before i go to work, but by the time i get home, which is in the middle of full lighting, he is back in bed. makes it difficult to feed as all of my other fish are bedded down not looking for food when i leave in the morning. just wondering if this is normal behavior or if he is still acclimating to the new tank, been in for about 2 weeks.

3. Ento-Reefer

This is normal. He needs to get used to your day/night schedule. Mine is up early also and first fish to go to sleep.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  4. primo21

primo21 Well-Known Member

he is missing out on all the good stuff to eat. ;)

Ento-Reefer likes this.
  5. Ento-Reefer

I always drop a few pellets in the tank before I leave for work. My melanurus wrasse is so spoiled ..lol he will eat out of my hand.

6. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time deciding between a lineatus or a rhomboid.

Right now there aren't as far as i can see a lineatus female available anywhere (at LFS or online), while at least one online retailer has a rhomboid.

They are both beautiful, but if people have any comments in terms of hardiness/peacefulness (i know lineatus on the chart is a bit more aggressive) or any other comments about them that would be useful please let me know.

I seem to read more reports of rhomboids having swim bladder problems(?) And more people at least on this thread have lineatus rather than rhomboids.

7. Chris8232

Chris8232 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a wrasse from LFS maybe 4". When I asked about it they told me it's a pacific wrasse. Tamarin... Google search and I came up with Yellow tail Tamarin. I couldn't get a good shot of it. It looks alot like pic attached. White spots,yellow tail,and red looking upper body. What does this wrasse look like as a adult? Any info would be great. Thanks Screenshot_20171208-195320.png

8. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

That's a yellowtail tamarin wrasse, Anampses meleagrides. Adult males are pretty cool looking too, different from the females; dusky overall with shades of red and pink scattered about and a green flick to each scale. Their tail isn't forked - but a black chevron outlined in electric blue lies at the tip of it, making it _look_ as though their tail is oxblood red with blue spots - and deeply forked.

~Bruce

Chris8232 likes this.
  9. Bastray

Bastray Active Member R2R Supporter

Quick question for you all, I made a stupid impulse buy and listened to my LFS and bought a juvenile red coris wrasse and am now finding out that they are a terror to have in the tank. Anyone have any luck with them in a reef or should I just try to pull him out and move on to another wrasse.

10. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

There are 2 similar looking Anampses species that are spotted with yellow on the tail as juveniles/females. The OP posted a pic of a female A. melanurus, their spots are bigger, and while they have yellow on their tail, it has black after the yellow. Males look like this:
    tn_melanurus2_jpg.jpg
    Then there is A. meleagrides, females have smaller spots and an all yellow tail, like this:
    download.jpeg
    And as males look like this:
    151-3_pa281232_anampses_meleagrides_male.jpg

They aren't too aggressive, they get big, eat inverts, and flip over rocks and coral.

Wrangy, Chris8232 and Maritimer like this.
  11. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Sometimes, it's the finer points . . . Good catch, TJ!

~Bruce

eatbreakfast likes this.
  12. Chris8232

Great I have a another rock flipper! Seems to share some of the same traits as my red coris.

13. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

Anyone have any insights about rhomboids versus lineatus? Obviously would love both, but looks like won't be compatible in a 120g system. ANyone here with good experiences with healthy rhomboids? Healthy Lineatus?

14. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

They are both great species. Rhomboidalis is smaller and a little more peaceful. Either would do well in a 120g.

15. Abhishek

Abhishek Well-Known Member

@eatbreakfast @Maritimer - ant experience with Pseudojuliodes Cerasinus ? Think it's the easiest of Psedojuloides species .
    I have currently blue star leopards , red tail tamarins , Halichoeres Iridis and thinking of getting one cerasinus ?

Regards,
    Abhishek

Maritimer likes this.
  16. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Picked up a melanurus yesterday and he went straight down and burrowed in the sand. When should I expect an appearance / get worried if he hasn't? Nada overnight.

17. eatbreakfast

Pseudojuloides are comparable to leopards. Treat them the same and they will do well.

Burying for a few days is not on unusual. They may even bury for a few weeks, but that isn't too common. Don't go digging around for it.

18. Chris8232

IMG_20171210_122059745_BURST001.jpg

Maritimer likes this.
  19. Bug235

Bug235 Active Member

Here are my buddy’s

IMG_7364.JPG IMG_7365.JPG IMG_7367.JPG

Radman73 and bhuyett like this.
  20. eatbreakfast

Female Anampses melanurus.

Draft saved Draft deleted