The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DracoKat

DracoKat Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I wondered that.. wondered if I put one of them in the DT it'll be OK after a few days.

I may be getting a pair of clowns for my nano tank in a few days. Debating on having them share a QT too.

2. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

i've used black water mollies as they also can serve as an indicator of any disease that may have made it through QT and they won't extend the QT period.

3. Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

hey all I am looking to add 3-4 wrasse to my 100 gallon tang in the near future. Here is my list to choose from that I liked:

I was looking to introduce 2 at a time or maybe all at the same time ? suggestions

bluestreeak cleaner wrasse
    mystery wrasse
    exquisite fairy wrasse
    bluehead fairy wrasse
    leopard wrasse
    melanurus wrasse
    radiant wrasse
    lineatus fairy wrasse
    green wrasse

4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Mystery wrasse and green wrasse are aggressive toward other wrasses.

Cleaner wrasses do better in larger systems with more client fish.

5. Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

everything else is good to put together? how about a 4 or 6 line wrasse?

6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Everything else is fine.

4 and 6lines are aggressive toward other wrasses.

Xclusive Reef likes this.
  7. reeferparty

reeferparty Well-Known Member

8. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Tried to catch some photos of my Laboute's fairy yesterday (All those folks who can take good photos of wrasses, you have my deep respect!!), mainly because he's got a heavy black wash these days that he didn't have when he arrived from LiveAquaria:

20171120_171102.jpg 20171120_171820.jpg 20171120_172102.jpg

He's a fairly dominant fish - especially so when it comes to the smaller pintail wrasse - though I've seen him meet his match when arguing about a favorite sleeping spot with a Talbott's damsel about a third of his size! Just wondering (along with showing off a beautiful fish and my poor photography skills) whether the black is something related to dominance / subordination, related to diet or comfort level ... or whether it's just one of those things that happens with these guys, as it seems to do with Naoko's wrasse?

This guy isn't _precisely_ a wrasse - though he is a labrid - and he posed _so_ nicely, I thought I'd throw him in as well:

20171120_171443.jpg

Finally seem to have a healthy and hearty Quoy's parrotfish!

~Bruce

9. eatbreakfast

Comparable to rubripinnis.
    The black is related to dominance and bright light.

Maritimer likes this.
  10. reeferparty

reeferparty Well-Known Member

Ah, so probably not comparable with a naoko in a 90g then?

11. eatbreakfast

I would advise against that combination.

12. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Congratulations on the Quoyi! I am thinking about giving it another try. Such a cool fish.

TJ, so the black on the Laboutei is the same phenomenon as the black on P. attenuatus? I think it looks good on the Laboutei but not as good on the flasher.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Maritimer likes this.
  13. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks, Saltyhog!

This guy's 180 degrees from the last one I had - eats virtually anything _except_ nori on a clip and the broccoli they put in the frozen fishfood blends, and competitively. He's right in there with everyone else when the yum starts spewing from the returns, dashing, dipping and diving for each treat - and throughout the day, he's hammering away at the rock - not scraping it down to the white, but knocking out any film algae, and probably some coralline. (He completely ignores the hair algae on the back glass, and the sargassum growing on the Florida liverock!)

~Bruce

Radman73 and saltyhog like this.
  14. eatbreakfast

Yes, similar to attenuatus. It's something that happens with a few deeper water species when they exposed to uv spectrum lighting.

Maritimer likes this.
  15. Trichome

Trichome Member

I am glad to report back that i have all 4 of these wrasse in my 180g playing nice now. Huge thank you to eatbreakfast and Hunter Hammond (the wrasse compatibility chart) for confirming this will work before i got the fish.

leahfiish, Maritimer and eatbreakfast like this.
  16. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I thought I would share a video of the wrasse I had in my previous reef. I hope to have a similar group in my new 180g. I love wrasse!!

This is my current lone wrasse.
    _EMA6809.JPG

leahfiish, Wrangy and Maritimer like this.
  17. Maritimer

That was a very pretty grouping - and your current fellow's not too shabby, neither!

Those clams, tho!!

~Bruce

Ento-Reefer likes this.
  18. Shaddow_wolf169

Shaddow_wolf169 Well-Known Member

Id male or female and how much are they worth?
    Philippines crescent tailed fairy wrasse.

20171203_160121.jpg

20171203_160119.jpg

20171203_160126.jpg

19. Maritimer

Certainly the larger is a male. The smaller may still be a female, or may already be in transition, as most fairies do ... as to what they're worth, I've little to no idea.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast likes this.
  20. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

I wanted to share my tale of woe...so during the summer i got myself a red hooded fairy wrasse. (took 3 tries from LA, but finally got a healthy one). Had it QT for about 3 months before putting it in the DT. I got screened tops- DIYs installed before getting the wrasse in. Became my instant favorite fish. And for the last 3 months it has been doing stellar (there was a couple of days of stress when it had jumped into my corner overflow), but was very happy.

I also picked up a pintail in mid-september, excited to start introducing multiple fairies together. Again long QT, again healthy fish doing well.

Tonight i decided to put the pintail in the DT. I got an acclimation box from a fellow reefer, and set up the box in the tank this evening when most of my fish in the DT are asleep.

when i went to get the pintail out from QT, while i while trying to net it, it jumped, but i managed to grab it off the floor, and it seemed no worse for wear.

I then closed up the DT and thought everything was fine. I go back tonight to check and notice the acclimation box is tilted (not opened, just a little off kilter) so i go to readjust it). That is when i find my red hooded wrasse on top of my screen. It must have gotten there in between when i was setting up the acclimation box? i don't even know.Very upsetting.

Anyway, i am still planning to get another one (*sigh) and then a lineatus, but i think i need to get a better screen option.

Draft saved Draft deleted